Buc-ee’s set to come to Denton by 2018

Skipper

Julia Falcon | Staff Writer

@falconjulia22

With one Buc-ee’s up and running on Interstate 35 W in Fort Worth, another one is coming soon in Denton.

The final approval to build the famous gas station and convenience store was received by the Denton planning and zoning committee on May 25 and is expected to open sometime in 2017 or 2018, Denton senior planner Julie Wyatt said, three years after the original proposal was made.

Buc-ee's beaver will welcome guests as it plans to open a new location in Denton. Tomas Gonzalez | Visuals Editor

Buc-ee’s beaver will welcome guests as it plans to open a new location in Denton. Tomas Gonzalez | Visuals Editor

The Denton location will be off of I-35 E and Lillian Miller Parkway, but Wyatt said the construction with Buc-ee’s will be in correspondence to the construction on I-35.

“Buc-ee’s will open when the Brinker Road and other improvements are finished,” Wyatt said. “This project was proposed last November for economic incentives, and after public hearings were held a decision was made.”

The topic is discussed often on the Denton Matters Facebook page, where many people support the addition, saying it will bring more tourists and more jobs.

But there are also plenty who are against it and think it disturbs the distinctiveness and mystique in Denton.

“Personally, I feel that it (Brinker on the access road near the hospital) is a terrible location and could better benefit Denton on the Northern part of town on the Northbound side of I-35, after 35E and 35W merge,” Denton resident Christina Harris wrote on the page.

Kinesiology senior Tyler Sudduth is indifferent about the new store coming to Denton and said it’s just another regular gas station.

“I really don’t care about Buc-ee’s coming to town,” Sudduth said. “I’m from Missouri, so I don’t get all the hype about it.”

Buc-ee’s distribution manager John Taylor said there might not be a difference between the Denton location and others.

“The only thing that could be different is a possible car wash at the Denton location,” Taylor said. “Our car washes are some of the best. The size of the store will be the same, and the amount of gas pumps will be the same when the Denton location is built.”

Buc-ee's hosts 60 gas pumps and spans over 15 acres in New Braunfels. Tomas Gonzalez | Visuals Editor

Buc-ee’s hosts 60 gas pumps and spans over 15 acres in New Braunfels. Tomas Gonzalez | Visuals Editor

The Fort Worth Buc-ee’s location is located next to Texas Motor Speedway off of I-35 W, which is 20 miles away from the proposed Denton location.

Even though there will be two Buc-ee’s locations within approximately 20 miles of each other, Taylor said he isn’t worried about a loss of customers to the stores.

“When the locations are chosen, they really do their homework. Convenience is important,” Taylor said. “Starting out [in the Fort Worth store] traffic was really heavy, it was heavier than ever.”

Taylor said events such as football games, professional or college, and events at Texas Motor Speedway are a big part of the store’s business.

As far as projecting the outcome and successes of the Denton store, Taylor said the company will just have to wait and see once opening comes around.

“It is good to get a year under a stores belt so we can get a good feel of the new surroundings,” Taylor said. “So far we are very pleased.”

Featured Image: Buc-ee’s New Braunfels. Tomas Gonzalez | Visuals Editor

View Full Article

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

50 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

great a cement forest to add to Denton nice looking views from 1-35. I hate that the city gave tax breaks to a gas station, what about the other gas stations that went it alone?  

How many gas stations are as big (and as nice) as Buc-ee's?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Fort Worth was the first one I had been to. Pretty cool but I agree with the first interviewer in that the store should be further north.

4 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Like Bucees but don't like the location. They should build it further north right off of Ft.Worth Dr. near the old Taco Bueno. Mmmmm, I miss that Taco Bueno....

Not near enough room there.

5 minutes ago, TheWestie said:

Not only did The NT Daily get the location wrong but left out the single most important part about them building a Bucc-ee's in Denton:

TxDOT and 35Express are gonna build a new I-35E crossover which will extend Brinker Rd under 35E to the southbound feeder road. The location is not "off of I-35E and Lilian Miller Pkwy", it's more than half a mile south of Loop 288 directly across the freeway from Texas Roadhouse and Olive Garden. Adding an underpass there is gonna do sooooo much to alleviate traffic on Loop 288 and Lillian Miller.

I was wondering when they were going to mention that. I can't wait for that new overpass to be built but I don't know when that will even start. Still don't like it being IN Denton and I think it should be on the northern outskirts.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Fort Worth was the first one I had been to. Pretty cool but I agree with the first interviewer in that the store should be further north.

I was wondering when they were going to mention that. I can't wait for that new overpass to be built but I don't know when that will even start. Still don't like it being IN Denton and I think it should be on the northern outskirts.

That part of Denton is far from unique with all of its restaurants and movie theater. It's not like they are going to put it one block off the square...

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

If you go too far to the north and you risk losing people coming from Dallas. Where it is planned now I would actually make an effort to stop on the way home from games (FB and BB) but if you put it north of the 35W/35E merge and I won't bother.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, TheWestie said:

TxDOT and 35Express are gonna build a new I-35E crossover which will extend Brinker Rd under 35E to the southbound feeder road.

Sweet! Make it so.

1 hour ago, NTAlum09 said:

I took a massive dump at the Temple location and was quite pleased with the quality of toilet paper they had.

This is my fascination with it. I'd rather stop at a Buc-ee's than a grungy old Shell bathroom that I have to walk outside the building with a key attached to a wooden block. If I'm going to Austin or Houston I try to plan my stops around these.

• Upvote 1