Quarterbacks since Scott Hall

Cr1028

I was curious about the records of the quarterbacks who have started for NT since Scott Hall left because things have seemed pretty sparse other than the '13 season that DT gave us. Below is a list of the quarterbacks that have started at least 5 games for us going back to Hall. I have sorted them by win percentage. Other than DT (because of '13), nobody is even close to Hall's record.

Player Name Ws Ls %
SH #11 23 18 56.10%
DT #7 18 19 48.65%
RD #11 5 13 27.78%
AM #5 2 10 16.67%
GV #15 3 17 15.00%
DM #7 3 18 14.29%
DS #10 1 6 14.29%

Hopefully Morris can get over the hump and have a winning percentage above 50%.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I was curious about the records of the quarterbacks who have started for NT since Scott Hall left because things have seemed pretty sparse other than the '13 season that DT gave us. Below is a list of the quarterbacks that have started at least 5 games for us going back to Hall. I have sorted them by win percentage. Other than DT (because of '13), nobody is even close to Hall's record.

Player Name Ws Ls %
SH #11 23 18 56.10%
DT #7 18 19 48.65%
RD #11 5 13 27.78%
AM #5 2 10 16.67%
GV #15 3 17 15.00%
DM #7 3 18 14.29%
DS #10 1 6 14.29%

Where did Andrew Smith fall in here?  He actually beat out SH as the starter, then lost his life in a car accident over the next summer break....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Riley Dodge had five wins?  

He had wins vs Ball State and WKU in '09 and a win against FAU in '10 under his father.

He had wins vs. WKU and the MUTS in '10 under Chico.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Where did Andrew Smith fall in here?  He actually beat out SH as the starter, then lost his life in a car accident over the next summer break....

Andrew Smith didn't play after Scott Hall's career ended so I did not include him. Based on Scott Hall's bio page, he was never beat out by Smith except due to injury. 

Was injured prior to season opener and played only part of three quarters in the first game before sitting out the remainder of the season and receiving a medical redshirt

Threw for 1,732 yards, 13 touchdowns and led the Mean Green to a 9-1 record after becoming the starter in the fifth game of the season ... Led the Sun Belt Conference in passing efficiency 153.4, which would rank among the top 10 in the nation if he met the minimum of 15 attempts per game ... His pass efficiency rating in conference games is 193.0, which is nearly 30 points better than his closest competitor ... Had 12 touchdowns in conference games, which is the second-most among all league quarterbacks ... His touchdowns to interceptions ratio in conference games is 12-4, which was the best in the league ... His 1,732 yards passing are more than any quarterback ever under Dickey. 

Also, from an article about Smith's death.

Smith was beginning his fourth year with the North Texas football team, with two seasons of eligibility remaining. In his first two years, Smith played in 20 games, 16 as the team’s starting quarterback. As a redshirt freshman in 2002, Smith was forced into the starting role for the final 12 games of the season when starter Scott Hall was injured in the season-opener. Smith proceeded to lead the team to an 8-4 record as a starter and a victory over Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl that year.

He began the 2003 season as the starting quarterback before Hall regained the spot in the fifth game of the season. He was listed behind Hall at quarterback as the team prepared to begin fall practice for the 2004 season on Wednesday. Smith came to North Texas after a standout prep career at Bay City High School, where he led his team to the Class 4A Division I state championship in 2000

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

So, 23-18 is the UNT gold standard. How do quality QB's looking for a place to call home not realize they could come here and be UNT folklore?  Call me drinking the kool aid, but I think Mason Fine could be that guy. He must come in and put on 15 pounds his RS year and learn everything he can. He could be tremendous for us. 

Maybe, just maybe a 4 year starter as a RS senior. Continuity in that position usually holds well for most programs. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Player Name Ws Ls %
SH #11 23 18 56.10%
DT #7 18 19 48.65%
RD #11 5 13 27.78%
AM #5 2 10 16.67%
GV #15 3 17 15.00%
DM #7 3 18 14.29%
DS #10 1 6 14.29%

Best I can tell...Hall also faced 13 P5's...winning one of them...the win over Baylor in '03, and came within a "Stone Hands" McClain fumble at the 3 in Lubbottocks from making it 2 wins over P5's. 

Rick

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Best I can tell...Hall also faced 13 P5's...winning one of them...the win over Baylor in '03, and came within a "Stone Hands" McClain fumble at the 3 in Lubbottocks from making it 2 wins over P5's. 

Rick

DT only faced 5 P5s but did beat one of the 5, Indiana.

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I really enjoyed Jordan Case as the qb, but i think Rusty Hill took over after Case left and it went down hill fast.  I think Hill's team lost to UT-Arlington.

Joe Stevenson followed Jordan Case. He was a great QB. IMHO the best QB of color ever to play at North Texas.So when Joe Stevenson and Jordan Case played on the same team (78 & 79) it was the best depth at QB we ever had. Rusty Hill followed Stevenson. Greg Carter came after him.

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Player Name Ws Ls %
SH #11 23 18 56.10%
DT #7 18 19 48.65%
RD #11 5 13 27.78%
AM #5 2 10 16.67%
GV #15 3 17 15.00%
DM #7 3 18 14.29%
DS #10 1 6 14.29%

So this lists our QBs since 2004 who started at least 5 games: Scott Hall, Derek Thompson, Riley Dodge, Andrew McNulty, Giovanni Vizza, Daniel Meager and DaMarcus Smith. 

While the numbers of these guys are a downer, what gets me down is looking the total list of QBs we've put on the field since 2004.Take the above dudes and add-in Woody Wilson, Matt Philips, Nathan Tune, Chase Baine, Brent Osborn, Dajon Williams, Josh Greer, and Connor Means.

This gives us 14 QBs that have seen the field in 12 seasons. We also know we've had trouble developing a consistent QB, but man those numbers hurt to see.

In 2008 we had 5 QBs get game time. 5.
Vizza as a sophomore played all 12 games and went 309 for 493 with 2758 yards,15 TDs and 16 INTs. Tune as a junior was 6 for 13 with no TDs or INTs in 6 games. Phillips as a senior went 2 for 3 in one game against Arkansas St. Meager as a senior went 1 for 3 over two games. Riley was a true freshman and had 1 pass in the LSU game, which was intercepted, and 1 pass against Rice.

In 2015 Carlos Harris had more TD passes than Josh Greer (Iowa game). 

On April 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

On April 16, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Cr1028 said:

DT only faced 5 P5s but did beat one of the 5, Indiana.

Wins against P5 schools at home!?

Why, I've been lead to believe that having a P5 at home is an automatic butt kicking on our own turf as opposed to automatic butt kicking a in their turf.

• Upvote 1

On April 15, 2016 at 1:41 PM, greenjoe said:

What about my personal favorite, Scott Davis ?

One season wonder in a subpar league! Could not even come close to DT who is the only one of these to post stats in a three year career. Only Steve Ramsey stands above DT all time at UNT,,,,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1