MGB: Kirby taking leave of absence, UNT trying Buyers at WR

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

Family is far more important than football. Hopefully, Kirby will be able to come back in the Fall. Anyone know if he has a redshirt season left? 

It looks like he red-shirted in 2012.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought Buyers was considered one of the fastest players on the team so I would assume this is why they are looking at him there. Also add to the fact that out depth is better at DB than WR. 

I don't think he is that fast at all. 

Maybe they are looking for a solid inside possession WR. Maybe he has the best hands on the team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Buyers at WR? He's certainly capable of playing the position, but are our other prospects just not making any progress?

Remember, some of the prospects haven't had a chance to step foot on the field ( outside of their official visit). Not saying they will be significantly better, but the coaches know there is no depth at that position. They may be young, and inexperienced, but have great hands at the JUCO or HS level. Not the best scenario, but as Coach Littrell says, " we will put the best players on the field." Hold tight guys. 

Edited by eagle-eye
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I don't think he is that fast at all. 

Maybe they are looking for a solid inside possession WR. Maybe he has the best hands on the team. 

I think you may have nailed it. 

giphy.gif

Mean-Green-Football-1054.jpg

325222225.jpg

44_Wes-Welker-Action.JPG

Kenny Buyers 5'11" 185lbs Danny Amendola 5'11" 177lbs Wes Welker 5'9" 190lbs

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Maybe his best skill, ability to quickly close on the bubble screen, becomes less valuable when you don't start with a 10+ yard cushion. 

Buyers also has the innate ability to avoid blockers and sniff out the receiver on the bubble screens. Go back and look at his tape. One of his best traits is his elusiveness defending the bubble. That will serve him well in the slot when he is trying to avoid tacklers. Could be VERY interesting. Littrell is showing that he will do whatever it takes to get his best players on the field. I have a feeling we won't be "playing to keep it close" next year. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Buyers also has the innate ability to avoid blockers and sniff out the receiver on the bubble screens. Go back and look at his tape. One of his best traits is his elusiveness defending the bubble. That will serve him well in the slot when he is trying to avoid tacklers. Could be VERY interesting. Littrell is showing that he will do whatever it takes to get his best players on the field. I have a feeling we won't be "playing to keep it close" next year. 

If Buyers leapfrogs guys like Goree, Smiley, Rutherford, Thompson, Bendy, etc... to see significant PT at WR, then we're not doing well at WR.

That, or it would be another feather in the horribly ugly cap of bad player evaluation for McCarney/Chico.