MGB breaking news -- UNT lands high school QB

Brett Vito

45 minutes ago, ADLER said:

The videos show that the kid can play and I am happy we got him. It sounds like he has a lot of doubters to prove wrong and I have faith that he will.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1667735/highlights/321786377/v2

Looks bigger in the video

I'm fine with his height at the moment if he's legitimately close to five eleven. As long as his dad's name isn't Larry he'll very possibly grow a little more.  I love a quick and agile QB at this level, but he likely does need somewhere near 20 lbs before hitting the field as a regular. He probably has over a year and a half to get that done. Let's hope that he's another overlooked small school diamond in the rough. Welcome aboard!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Damn, NT showed Austin Peay.  I hope this turns out great, but this is another real stretch.  

Losing Johnson to Tulsa, is another sign that there may be real trouble in recruiting ahead. 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Greg-Ward-Jr-12308/RecruitInterests

he worked out pretty good I'd say. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

They beat out another team in their conference for him also.

No doubt, but guys with few offers (due to size) have worked out before. Not saying he is Greg Ward but being Oklahoma Gatorade POY ain't an easy task. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

No doubt, but guys with few offers (due to size) have worked out before. Not saying he is Greg Ward but being Oklahoma Gatorade POY ain't an easy task. 

Sure, and a lot have not.  

I am not all that worried about an individual signing.  What I am worried about is the lack thus far of beating out anybody for a high school player.  Other new coaches do it and Littrell was billed as an excellent recruiter. ,

I hope for a big finish, but there are no indications at this point that NT is capable of doing that.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I bet more schools give him a look now that he has been offered by us. He has done some good things in high school and went fairly unnoticed. Reminds me of Johnny Quinn who also did great things in high school but couldn't get much interest. Let's hope he ends up creating a similar legacy here. 

I can understand everyone's concern when we don't see too much interest. But I bet our two offensive geniuses see something in this guy. I will trust them until otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, foutsrouts said:

I'm fine with his height at the moment if he's legitimately close to five eleven. As long as his dad's name isn't Larry he'll very possibly grow a little more.  I love a quick and agile QB at this level, but he likely does need somewhere near 20 lbs before hitting the field as a regular. He probably has over a year and a half to get that done. Let's hope that he's another overlooked small school diamond in the rough. Welcome aboard!

I see what you did there:

the three stooges classic comedy gif

Edited by EagleMBA

I'm not worrying much.  He's coming in the same year as Alec.  If he doesn't progress at QB, who knows, he might end up being a great receiver or safety or something...as long as we either have another HS QB this class or next that's got the same level of chops, then I'm more comfortable with the likelihood of one of them working out well at the position than I've been in...hmm...what year is it again?

I really think that our new coaching staff is going to raise the bar around here.  However, Mac left us in worse shape than I can ever remember after a coaching transition.  

Correct me if I am wrong.   But, I am nearly certain that both TD and Mac inherited more verbals than what Mac has passed on to Littrell.   Unlike Mac's complaints about Dodge's players, the recruiting cupboard really is bare this time.

I can tell you this, Littrell has every reason to complain about the situation he is in right now.   But, all I have heard are positives and excitement from him.     Mac complained about Dodge's players being undersized from day 1.    IMO, negativity like that is what really did Mac in (and also a terribly boring offense).

I would like to see us landing some better recruits right now, but it really is the last minute.   These guys are missing out on a fantastic opportunity with plenty of playing time available under a terrific coach.   Once HS kids and their coaches see what Littrell and his staff can do, we are going to be much better off.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, akriesman said:

I really think that our new coaching staff is going to raise the bar around here.  However, Mac left us in worse shape than I can ever remember after a coaching transition.  

Correct me if I am wrong.   But, I am nearly certain that both TD and Mac inherited more verbals than what Mac has passed on to Littrell.   Unlike Mac's complaints about Dodge's players, the recruiting cupboard really is bare this time.

I can tell you this, Littrell has every reason to complain about the situation he is in right now.   But, all I have heard are positives and excitement from him.     Mac complained about Dodge's players being undersized from day 1.    IMO, negativity like that is what really did Mac in (and also a terribly boring offense).

I would like to see us landing some better recruits right now, but it really is the last minute.   These guys are missing out on a fantastic opportunity with plenty of playing time available under a terrific coach.   Once HS kids and their coaches see what Littrell and his staff can do, we are going to be much better off.

I believe Mac inherited the exact same amount of recruits, three, from Dodge. 

This isn't a good start to recruiting, no matter how you slice it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

This kid is exceptionally fast, I've watched him play at Locust Grove twice the last two years, he can make any throw, has a very high football IQ. This kid reminded me of a young Mike Gundy, undersized, but a playmaker with  a huge heart, could be a star if given the right compliments in OL and skill position players. Check out Pirtle as well, that kid is the consummate possession receiver, he catches everything thrown his way. Fine wouldn't be where he is today, heading to NT, without Pirtle.

Edited by bob
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Maybe we should be looking at pirtle too then.  It would make sense.

According to the article MonkeyPox posted, they are....

The Tulsa World has chronicled the senior year and college recruitment of Fine and record-setting receiver Jason Pirtle, who committed to Emporia State last weekend but will take an official visit to North Texas this weekend as well. Pirtle — Oklahoma’s career leader in receptions and receiving yards — said the Mean Green coaching staff has expressed great interest in him.

• Upvote 1