Communication

Side Show Joe

I'm not writing this to knock on our athletic department, just wondering how you feel about exploring new technologies in the area of fan/customer communication.

The wife and I took her father to see Creighton play the Sooners in Norman today. He is a life long OU fan and had never been to a game. It was my first time at Lloyd Noble. For those wondering, yes, I proudly wore my Mean Green gear to this game, and yes I got many odd looks for it. I bought the tickets about two weeks ago, and have received at least 20 emails regarding games and events at OU. Sadly, I know more about what is happening within their athletic department then I do about ours. Don't get me wrong, Within the past two weeks I have received emails from the Mean Green, just not as many and not as informative.

The topping on the cake was when I checked my email tonight, I had received a "Thank You for Attending Today's Game" email. I can't remember ever getting one of those from our athletic department, and like many of you, I'm and season ticket holding member of the Mean Green Club. The "Thank You" email from OU contained pricing information for the seats we had today, for upcoming games against Iowa State and others. The email was sent out within minutes of our tickets being scanned at the arena. I tip my hat to OU for doing an amazing job with communication and marketing.

I'd love for us to have this software too. I don't believe we have something like that right now. Again, I'm not knocking our department, I just want us to have the best possible chance to increase attendance (aside for our on the field and court performance). I think more in depth emails and adding a similar "ticket scanned" automated email system would help for both football and basketball.

Observations

- Lloyd Noble is a nice venue, but it isn't substantially better then the Super Pitt. It has better lighting and a very nice double decker 12 screen jumbotron with digital ribbon, but both are similar in size. OU does a great job of making sure that wherever you look in the arena, you see the logo, name, and slogans of their teams. I'd like it if we did that in our facilities.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 7

It's funny, in the summer of 1999 the SGA exec board and a couple of others took a trip to Austin to meet with UT's student government and get some tips since they're always on top of lobbying and get a lot of respect and somewhat equal footing with a good portion of the administrators on their campus.  While some people saw the wisdom in it, others asked why we were "kissing the collective ass of UT" and if it was intended as a way to get in tight with people to transfer or pursue higher degrees there later.  The fact is, if someone already does something as well as you want to do it, there's no shame in humbly asking them for information/background/ideas.  Anyone who feels otherwise has likely fallen victim to their own hubris and deserves the failure so often aptly associated with it.  I see this as a parallel situation (read as: opportunity).

• Upvote 4

With all the controversy swirling around Villarreal, the one glaring weakness of his athletic administration is customer service.  Customer service can really cure some of the ills of poor attendance.  There are many horror stories about dealing with the athletic department...I've heard many of them from various people.

• Upvote 4

The athletic department needs to be open to outside ideas especially from successful programs but also from fans. I didn't  spend the time to go back and find the threads but I seem to remember several stories of fans either offering to fund and work on a promotion and being shut down or fans doing promoting of their own (not pretending to be associated with the athletic department or anything like that) and being scolded for it after the fact. Those kinds of things are unfortunate IMO given our current situation. 

• Upvote 2

It's sad that so many..possibly our majority have to have an experience like Joe to wake up to what the rest of us have been trying to point out all along.

BTW...it's been several days and one of our newly signed recruits name is still misspelled on MGS.

http://m.meangreensports.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121715aaa.html

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It's a causal quandary, really, because the fact may very well be that due to our dismal history in that area, our (collectively speaking, but not all-encompassing) praise of his accomplishments may have created this pride that may not have been there previously.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 2

It's a causal quandary, really, because the fact may very well be that due to our dismal history in that area, our (collectively speaking, but not all-encompassing) praise of his accomplishments may have created this pride that may not have been there previously.

He points to buildings because he can't point to winning. If he could point to winning, we would have MANY more buildings. 

This isn't hard, people.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I'd hate to jump on the "bash the AD here", but I'd love to hear some experiences from you guys as to poor customer service from the department. Has it happened for you in other university departments as well? 

I'd hate to jump on the "bash the AD here", but I'd love to hear some experiences from you guys as to poor customer service from the department. Has it happened for you in other university departments as well? 

Whenever I have to remind someone to also send me my parking passes they've been cordial. Coleman was always energetic whenever I called them to renew my season tickets.

But the only other interaction I ever have is the newsletter.

The newsletter is always nice to me. Doesn't give me viruses or anything.

miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_ca

Just now I got an email soliciting season ticket renewal for the 2016 season.  Thing is, it doesn't make renewal of MY seats available.  It's selling me seats in the lower bowl.  Not worried about it or anything, but it does seem odd that the system wouldn't recognize that I've got static seats every year.

While I hesitate to compare UNT athletics experience to a professional sports team, especially an MLB one, I have to say that my experience with the Scorpions (NASL) in SA has been much better after attending a game than with our athletic department. 

I can add my anecdotal experiences to the list after going to away games (Rice, UTSA, Texas, Tennessee, SMU -- recent examples) and other schools' games (TAMU-CC, Texas State). 

---

There obviously is a lot this department could do better. It seems the only thing they are great at is telling us to 'manage up'. Meh. I will say the PR stuff around the Littrell hire was surprisingly competent. So there's that. 

It was nice to get season tickets sent for basketball the season after I decided not to renew mine. Is that a plus or minus?

Same thing happened to me. 15 minutes of calling the ticket office and my credit card company later (because I don't trust people who sent me tickets by mistake when they tell me my credit card wasn't charged), I was satisfied that I didn't get charged for something I didn't want. 

15 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

• Upvote 1

Email blasts are perhaps the easiest and least expensive thing any organization can do.  You create one and then form mail it to everyone and "Pow!" you have a "personalizes" marketing message sent to a couple thousand with maybe one of two people spending an hour or so with little to no real costs involved.  If you want to up the game even just a little with perhaps the same level of engagement, send a post card out to everyone through the mail. I got one in the mail the other day for the Mean Green Club Appreciation on January 14th.

The reason FIU and others send you emails is because you voluntarily opted in to receive additional notifications and have never opted out.