Mike Ekeler - LB Coach Georgia - It's official!

El Paso Eagle

Looks like we are going straight back to the Dodge days where defense doesn't really matter.

Wonderful.

I don't follow.  Explain.  This isn't like the two offensive hires of his Texas Tech buddies who have little or no experience.  Ekeler has experience.  Surely, you are not comparing him to Dodge's Mendoza, right? 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Alright, Mike. I'm not sure I could ever see it that extreme. What's your thinking, here?

Without digging through seven pages of this thread, it doesn't look like his Indiana defense were exactly world beaters.  The 2013 USC defense was solid.  Georgia's been solid this year.  So at a glance, it seems like the Indiana years are the concern.  Hard to judge that since they're generally a bottom feeding B1G team.  

Without digging through seven pages of this thread, it doesn't look like his Indiana defense were exactly world beaters.  The 2013 USC defense was solid.  Georgia's been solid this year.  So at a glance, it seems like the Indiana years are the concern.  Hard to judge that since they're generally a bottom feeding B1G team.  

The thing that I like that is the strong endorsement of Ekeler's recruiting and how it saw an actual uptick at Georgia. I would initially think, "well yeah, it's Georgia", but the fact that there was  a legitimate bump...

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 3

The thing that I like that is the strong endorsement of Ekeler's recruiting and how it saw an actual uptick at Georgia. I would initially think, well yeah, it's Georgia, but the fact that there was  a legitimate bump...

I really do understand the importance of recruiting. A coach must have some talent to work with or he will look bad and apparently Ekeler can help in the recruiting area. I took Mike's comment to mean that he thought not enough attention is being paid to the defensive side of the ball and we're destined to be in weekly shootouts (also expressed by others). I'm going to be open minded and watch to see what alignments Ekeler puts out there.

My concern is he was actually running a defense while Indiana when they weren't world beaters. But he was positional coach at the other places (granted, nice places).

Coached at great places, but can he run a whole defense?

I'll add this: He has proven he can coach some awesome and recruit some awesome linebacker talent. Many of whom are in the NFL.

He has not proven he can run a defense.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

Alright, Mike. I'm not sure I could ever see it that extreme. What's your thinking, here?

His defenses as a co-coordinator were unimpressive. Aside from the stint at Indiana, he doesn't have any coordinator experience. This APPEARS to be a friendship hire. It gives me the appearance that defense isn't a priority to Littrell. 

We now have a head coach and 2 coordinators whose complete coaching experiences are with P5 programs. How will they coach with a different talent level? How will they recruit without a P5 brand behind them? How soon to they become discouraged? 

This is a gamble, although not quite as much as Dodge, but a gamble still the same.

Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

We now have a head coach and 2 coordinators whose complete coaching experiences are with P5 programs. How will they coach with a different talent level? How will they recruit without a P5 brand behind them? How soon to they become discouraged? 

I kinda get what you are saying...the talent level is different than P5 schools, but the main difference in P5 vs G5 to me is the lines.  

I would say coaching at Indiana was a huge disadvantage compared to other big 10 schools.  He was working with less than his counterparts.

If we were going against P5 schools with 4 and 5 star recruits, I would understand your point, but it's relative.  The adjustment to talent level shouldn't be an issue because he shouldn't be facing many 4 and 5 star players on a consistent basis either.

If this sraff is even average at recruiting, considering UNT is in Texas and mainly the DFW area, we should have a talent advantage over a lot if cusa schools.

• Upvote 3

His defenses as a co-coordinator were unimpressive. Aside from the stint at Indiana, he doesn't have any coordinator experience. This APPEARS to be a friendship hire. It gives me the appearance that defense isn't a priority to Littrell. 

This is a gamble, although not quite as much as Dodge, but a gamble still the same.

Hope I'm wrong.

The good thing about being in C-USA is that all of the other teams in our conference are ALSO on our "different talent level".
Littrell was able to bring in good talent to the schools that are historically the dredges of those P5 conferences and improve their play to varying levels.   He was able to help dig Indiana out of the B1G basement and get UNC to the ACC title game.

• Upvote 1

Littrell was able to bring in good talent to the schools that are historically the dredges of those P5 conferences and improve their play to varying levels.   He was able to help dig Indiana out of the B1G basement and get UNC to the ACC title game.

yep.  Indiana and UNC are basketball schools.  The only reason they are in P5 conferences was due to hoops.  Football teams were/are on the G5 level.  So really, Littrell meets UNT90s doing more with less criteria.

• Upvote 3

yep.  Indiana and UNC are basketball schools.  The only reason they are in P5 conferences was due to hoops.  Football teams were/are on the G5 level.  So really, Littrell meets UNT90s doing more with less criteria.

Don't forget Kansas and Arizona, basketball is king there too. If they didn't have basketball, KU would be a cellar dweller G5 football program instead of the P5 cellar dweller they are now.

My concern is he was actually running a defense while Indiana when they weren't world beaters. But he was positional coach at the other places (granted, nice places).

Coached at great places, but can he run a whole defense?

I'll add this: He has proven he can coach some awesome and recruit some awesome linebacker talent. Many of whom are in the NFL.

He has not proven he can run a defense.

This would be my thinking as well. Again, it's different because there WAS a huge talent gap between Indiana and most of their conference mates. But still, they were a terrible defense. Since our head coach is a former OC and has his experience on that side of the ball, I'm less concerned about the lack of job-specific experience from Harrell (that, and he was a QB who played in that offense most of his life).

As for the DC, though, it's a different story. I'm not downgrading him based on his stint at Indiana due to the talent gap, but for the same reason, I'm not going to upgrade him based on his experiences in programs where he was the beneficiary of the same kind of talent gap for half the games. Lots of coaches can recruit to Georgia, OU, USC, etc. and he didn't actually run the defenses there. What are we going to see, when it comes to X's and O's?

And while Indiana was a bottom-dweller in their conference, they're still miles ahead of us when it comes to national recognition, perception, and support. Just the fact that they're IN the conference they're in puts them in a better position. Those guys average like 40k fans for their home games, even when they're doormats going 1-7 in conference play. Part of that is playing big name opponents, but they still show up vs. the WKUs and Arky States.

So for those reasons, I think having concerns is valid. But I don't think there's any reason to be overly concerned at this point. I think what UNT90 is posting are generally legitimate concerns. I might not feel them to the DEGREE that he does, but it's not something to completely dismiss, either.

• Upvote 1

Hope I'm wrong.

Seth faced his defense daily against his offense ! Something caught his attention! Also has coached under Pruitt who is now DC Bama! Oh pluse he is, drum role please, High Energy!!!

• Upvote 1

This would be my thinking as well. Again, it's different because there WAS a huge talent gap between Indiana and most of their conference mates. But still, they were a terrible defense. Since our head coach is a former OC and has his experience on that side of the ball, I'm less concerned about the lack of job-specific experience from Harrell (that, and he was a QB who played in that offense most of his life).

As for the DC, though, it's a different story. I'm not downgrading him based on his stint at Indiana due to the talent gap, but for the same reason, I'm not going to upgrade him based on his experiences in programs where he was the beneficiary of the same kind of talent gap for half the games. Lots of coaches can recruit to Georgia, OU, USC, etc. and he didn't actually run the defenses there. What are we going to see, when it comes to X's and O's?

And while Indiana was a bottom-dweller in their conference, they're still miles ahead of us when it comes to national recognition, perception, and support. Just the fact that they're IN the conference they're in puts them in a better position. Those guys average like 40k fans for their home games, even when they're doormats going 1-7 in conference play. Part of that is playing big name opponents, but they still show up vs. the WKUs and Arky States.

So for those reasons, I think having concerns is valid. But I don't think there's any reason to be overly concerned at this point. I think what UNT90 is posting are generally legitimate concerns. I might not feel them to the DEGREE that he does, but it's not something to completely dismiss, either.

And I point these things out to counteract the insanity that has been going on with this hire.

I'm not saying Littrell is going to fail, but the odds are stacked high against him. All the "rah-rah we got the best coach ever and every single one of his hires is beyond scrutiny" crap is pretty ridiculous right now.

Im concerned about defense, this staff being able to recruit where no one could before, and this staff adjusting to being in a G5 conference .

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

And I point these things out to counteract the insanity that has been going on with this hire.

I'm not saying Littrell is going to fail, but the odds are stacked high against him. All the "rah-rah we got the best coach ever and every single one of his hires is beyond scrutiny" crap is pretty ridiculous right now.

Im concerned about defense, this staff being able to recruit where no one could before, and this staff adjusting to being in a G5 conference .

I think truth be told...  We are all somewhat concerned about these things.  As a bit of a skeptic of the Harrell hire I understand that so does everyone else around here.  But to the counter, there is nothing wrong with getting excited about the dramatic and long awaited change that is happening in front of our eyes.   No, nothing has been proven yet, but that doesn't stop people from being excited about the new star wars movies,  we don't know if they are going to be any good so what makes our coach situation any different?

• Upvote 6

I think truth be told...  We are all somewhat concerned about these things.  As a bit of a skeptic of the Harrell hire I understand that so does everyone else around here.  But to the counter, there is nothing wrong with getting excited about the dramatic and long awaited change that is happening in front of our eyes.   No, nothing has been proven yet, but that doesn't stop people from being excited about the new star wars movies,  we don't know if they are going to be any good so what makes our coach situation any different?

Because Star Wars movies have a loooooong track record of being phenomenal? Really the wrong analogy here."

You are right, it would be great to get excited about long awaited change. And I will be excited as hell when that change happens. It hasn't yet.

RV is still the AD. 

And that causes even more concern where this coaching staff is concerned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2