Mike Ekeler - LB Coach Georgia - It's official!

El Paso Eagle

Because Star Wars movies have a loooooong track record of being phenomenal? Really the wrong analogy here."

You are right, it would be great to get excited about long awaited change. And I will be excited as hell when that change happens. It hasn't yet.

RV is still the AD. 

And that causes even more concern where this coaching staff is concerned. 

That's kinda the point.   Some have been awesome and some have sucked.    But every time a new one comes out the masses explode with optimism and excitement.    

I would be I would be amiss if I did not say...

fire  Rv.      That is the next step to us having a good department.    We cannot overlook that critical element even with the new hires and excitement.   Fire  Rv.  

• Upvote 7

I'm watching the Div III championship game, St. Thomas vs. Mt. Union. Score is 49 - 35, Mt. Union with 3:13 left in the 4th Qtr. All offense, big passing plays mostly from both. A harbinger of this fall?

• Upvote 1

That's kinda the point.   Some have been awesome and some have sucked.    But every time a new one comes out the masses explode with optimism and excitement.    

I would be I would be amiss if I did not say...

fire  Rv.      That is the next step to us having a good department.    We cannot overlook that critical element even with the new hires and excitement.   Fire  Rv.  

We pretty much agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

yes we do.   But i am enjoying the excitement and am allowing myself to have some fun while being a UNT fan.  We already have a hard enough time why must we make it harder on ourselves?

still....  Fire rv

Lol. I get it. I really do.

And thanks for not demanding I feel the same way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

And I point these things out to counteract the insanity that has been going on with this hire.

I'm not saying Littrell is going to fail, but the odds are stacked high against him. All the "rah-rah we got the best coach ever and every single one of his hires is beyond scrutiny" crap is pretty ridiculous right now.

Im concerned about defense, this staff being able to recruit where no one could before, and this staff adjusting to being in a G5 conference .

Just playing devil's advocate about recruiting, but of our last three football coaches - Dickey, Dodge and Mac - only Mac truly failed to recruit.  And, by all accounts I've heard, he just didn't bother trying.

You could make a case that Dickey didn't recruit consistently, but he brought in a handful of guys that we have not seen since, neither in quality or quantity.  And his budget was laughable.  Dodge ended up getting us all the guys we needed to win a bowl.

Personally, based on the above observations, I'm not totally convinced it is impossible or even that hard to recruit here.  You definitely need to go out there and try, and it seems reasonable to say most coaches can come in here and get the guys you need to win bowl games.

• Upvote 2

Just playing devil's advocate about recruiting, but of our last three football coaches - Dickey, Dodge and Mac - only Mac truly failed to recruit.  And, by all accounts I've heard, he just didn't bother trying.

You could make a case that Dickey didn't recruit consistently, but he brought in a handful of guys that we have not seen since, neither in quality or quantity.  And his budget was laughable.  Dodge ended up getting us all the guys we needed to win a bowl.

Personally, based on the above observations, I'm not totally convinced it is impossible or even that hard to recruit here.  You definitely need to go out there and try, and it seems reasonable to say most coaches can come in here and get the guys you need to win bowl games.

Dodge recruited skill positions well, but was extremely suspect in recruiting linemen, weirdly enough specifically OL. 

I'm just going by history. And it is extremely concerning that the top 3 coaches have never recruited to anything but P5 programs.

We will know soon enough, and hopefully they can put this concern to bed. A QB with 6 or 7 other quality offers would really help ease my concerns. 

I don't think many of us are in the position to influence who it is that the athletic department  picks for any position . I also don't see what is wrong with having a little optimism toward the future of the program. Some of you guys are so pessimistic toward every decision made that it keeps many fans from even discussing it on here. Some of us like to believe that not every light at the end of the tunnel is just a train . You will probably just attack my grammatical errors instead of talking about the exciting things going on . I will go back to lurking now like many alumni I know who don't want to be part of the constant negative banter.

• Upvote 6

I don't know much about dickey, but fans give dodge a lot of props for recruiting.  He was not a good recruiter based on what I seen with the 2012 team.  Maybe better than mac, but that doesn't mean he was good.  

When mac arrived, the team had several holes.  There was some talent in a few areas, but you shouldn't get labeled as a good recruiter because you eventually hit on a few.  

It still took a whole lot to get 2013 to a bowl win.  Not just dodge's recruiting.  If dodges recruits would have been winning in 2012, then a case could have been made.  

• Upvote 1

Dodge recruited skill positions well, but was extremely suspect in recruiting linemen, weirdly enough specifically OL. 

I'm just going by history. And it is extremely concerning that the top 3 coaches have never recruited to anything but P5 programs.

We will know soon enough, and hopefully they can put this concern to bed. A QB with 6 or 7 other quality offers would really help ease my concerns. 

That is a huge concern in my opinion.   These guys are going to have to work very hard to recruit to UNT and it would help recruited to programs they were 3rd tier in comparison to other programs in their region.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1