Rice, UTEP Mentioned in Mountain West Expansion Discussion

meanJewGreen

Selfishly, I'd love UNT to MWC as AFA, CSU and WYO are close by. But the WAC's experiment with SMU and TCU wasn't their favorite, so I doubt you have many of those same schools pounding the table to get back into DFW.

Rice won't go anywhere until UH does - doubt they want to miss out on going up to AAC if/when UH moves.

To everyone talking about 9:00pm start times...

The University of North Texas is in Denton, TX.  Which is in the Central Time zone.  If we were to move to the MWC, our time zone does not change.  Home games at Apogee will likely start at the same time they do today.  I would anticipate 3 of the remaining 4 games will be VS teams in either the Central (ahem, Rice) or Mountain Time zone teams, so a 1hr difference.

Unless we're playing out on the west coast (again, that would only be 1 or 2 times max/season) our start times are still going to be the same.  

I would think, if I were the MWC, that it would be nice to have a school or two (ahem, Rice) in the Central Time zone so we could have some games on TV earlier in the day instead of having to wait until normal kick times in the Mountain Time zone before we get on TV.

Too many of your are recalling the Big West days, and that simply isn't fair/comparable.

• Upvote 3

Not sure why anyone thinks the MWC is a significant enough jump in conference status to warrant the extra travel and problem with late start games.  There is not a team in that conference other than Boise that is going to bring any additional interest in playing them anymore then the current CUSA.    

Winning is the key for NT just as it is for the Rice and  UTEP programs, it is in not going to matter one iota what G5 conference you are in if you are not at the top of it.  

• Upvote 1

The money would get eaten up by travel costs. Their very good basketball does nothing to bring up our awful basketball. New Mexico might hold a little more appeal locally than the CUSA schools you mentioned, but that's not really a fair comparison. La. Tech is a better comparison there, and I'm sure they bring as many or more. Nevada, SDSU, F_U's, and Charlotte...nobody in DFW cares about any of those. "I wasn't going to watch North Texas, but now that I know they're playing Nevada, I'm definitely going!" said no one, ever.

You should be on the BOR.

The 1981 BOR...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not sure why anyone thinks the MWC is a significant enough jump in conference status to warrant the extra travel and problem with late start games.  There is not a team in that conference other than Boise that is going to bring any additional interest in playing them anymore then the current CUSA.    

Winning is the key for NT just as it is for the Rice and  UTEP programs, it is in not going to matter one iota what G5 conference you are in if you are not at the top of it.  

Have to disagree with you GrandGreen.

Playing New Mexico > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C, or MUTS

Playing Colorado State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing Utah State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing Fresno State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing San Diego State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing Wyoming > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing Air Force > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing Boise State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Only questionable teams we might face would be Hawaii(but good for recruiting), UNLV, and San Jose State.  Otherwise, the MWC is a better conference with or without Rice and UTEP.  Our problem, other than a few highlights/years, is we have done nothing to market ourselves as a university or a major university in athletics.  And we've had 20 years to change our perception to a major university in athletics.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

Playing New Mexico > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, or MUTS

Playing Colorado State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Playing Utah State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Playing Fresno State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Playing San Diego State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Playing Wyoming > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Playing Air Force > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Playing Boise State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA or MUTS

Only questionable teams we might face would be Hawaii(but good for recruiting), UNLV, and San Jose State.  Otherwise, the MWC is a better conference with or without Rice and UTEP.  Our problem, other than a few highlights/years, is we have done nothing to market ourselves as a university or a major university in athletics.  And we've had 20 years to change our perception to a major university in athletics.

You either forgot about UNC-C, or you're just really excited about playing them... eventually.

I've always liked the idea of the mountain west. If Rice and UTEP were in it it'd be even more appealing if they'd even want us. People definitely know more about Boise State in football and UNLV in basketball more than Marshall or any other team in the CUSA. I don't travel to many road games anyways but I think even though it'd be a longer trip, the MWC schools are cooler places to visit. But we aren't even being mentioned so if we are staying in CUSA I definitely don't want Rice or UTEP to leave. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(Sorry if someone has already mentioned the stuff I'm about to say) But I think the move to the MWC would be just fine if we tag along with UTEP and Rice. I still want to retain the Texas rivarlry games. I think the schedule would be a lot better as well. games starting a 7pm CST is WAY better then 11am and 2pm start times. Traveling would be farther, but adding on to my statement above... That is why we would have a couple Texas Teams in the conference with us for the fans that travel to away games.

I really prefer a UTEP, UTSA, and UNT move out west. Rice just seems like they belong in the AAC with their rich buddy SMU and they would rather take the AAC over the MWC.

Edited by GreenTexan13

Playing Colorado State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing Fresno State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Playing San Diego State > playing FIU, or FAU, or Old Dominion, UTSA, UNC-C or MUTS

Will it cause any significant increases in attendance? Unlikely, IMO. Just wishful thinking from the die-hard fans.  Any possible extra revenue that we might get will be eaten up by the increased travel costs for all our teams.

• Upvote 3

rQcNKRd.gif

Anyone want to tell me WHY the MWC supposedly wants to expand to 13 or 14?  

CFP money is capped at 12 payouts per conference, they won't get any extra shares for adding teams, so their payout will go down.

The ESPN/CBS contract is also capped at 12 payouts, with ESPN being the one who decide if membership has changed enough to renegotiate.  Adding UTEP and RIce? They aren't going to give an extra dime.  Yearly payout would go from $1.5M @ 12 members to ~$1.3M @14 members.  For comparison CUSA just expired payout was right around $1.2M.  

I think the teams have more name recognition but I doubt it would translate in a bigger gate.   I see you are leaving out La Tech, USM, and Marshall from your analysis which would probably have bigger crowds than any MWC program other than Boise and Air Force. 

Even if you can justify football, the problem remains that all the other sports will also have to greatly expand their travel and lose even more money.  If this discussion was this time last year, a good case could be made that CUSA was the better football conference.  This goes in cycles but I think the potential of CUSA as primarily a Southern based conference is just as good as the MWC,

If the MWC is really serious about expansion and wants an Eastern division than the move would be much more attractive.  

• Upvote 1

If Rice and UTEP leave it's likely Arkansas State and ULL are added (or maybe TX State as well).  Not only will the league as a whole look like the Sun Belt, but our division will be reminiscent of the Southland in the 1980's.  Gross.  I was so disappointed when Tulane and Tulsa left.  This will really suck.

• Upvote 2

If Rice and UTEP leave it's likely Arkansas State and ULL are added (or maybe TX State as well).  Not only will the league as a whole look like the Sun Belt, but our division will be reminiscent of the Southland in the 1980's.  Gross.  I was so disappointed when Tulane and Tulsa left.  This will really suck.

You better believe that people in the know knew that conference foes were going to be exiting and played up CUSA as if it was some kind of mega conference when the announcement was made that UNT was moving into it. Now, it's just another version of the belt. We have 3 schools in the entire conference that has any kind of consistency or tradition in football in La Tech, Marshall, and Southern Miss.  

• Upvote 2

The MWC is probably just planning on the chance that a member or two might go to the P5s (Boise, SDSU) or go independent (Hawaii). Pretty smart on their part to do their due diligence.

As for us, we are stuck on the same spot of the conference totem pole if we stay in CUSA. The AAC will never take us with SMU and we are very content with the SBCUSA. It is what it is.