Mountain West looking to catch up to the American

Jonnyeagle

The challenge here is equally up to both conference - Yes, the MWC needs to improve, but it is also up to the American to rebuild it's brand quickly. They added markets, but will the new teams, and the remaining teams step up their games so the American does not drop down to the level of the MWC.

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The growth seems to be as much "potential market" driven as success in football. Seems like addition growth would focus on the same.

It'd be interesting to see if Colorado State and Air Force are still the top choice for further expansion, or if the AAC would want someone in a large city like Georgia St. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

To me that is all this is.  Berkley is trying to leverage the Big 10 to include them as well.  My guess is they will ultimately achieve that.

I just can't see Cal keeping UCLA from moving. But I believe the B1G is trying to kill the Pac slowly, so I expect that Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal are also gonna go to the B1G in the years ahead, too, as they conquer the West to keep up/ahead of the SEC.

If the model becomes two major conferences, 24 teams each, the SEC will wait out the ACC to add in Clemson, Florida State, Miami, UVa, Va Tech, UNC, NC State, and Duke to get to 24 teams. Then, the B1G will add in the those Pac teams that I mentioned, as well as AAU brands in Kansas, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona to get to 24 teams. ND will stay independent.

The remaining leftovers in the Big 12, ACC, and Pac will be the third level, still considered FBS, but with much lower payouts.

6 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Delay? Yes, but I don't think they can actually stop them from doing it. 

That's what I thought but apparently the Regents have authority over UCLA. They can block UCLA which would ultimately lead to a long and messy fight in the California court system. If they do allow UCLA to leave, they could also force UCLA to reimburse Cal Berkley for the loss of future TV revenue. Ouch.

Get your popcorn ready and enjoy the show. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Oregon would gladly take their place in a heartbeat. I think the regents are hoping to "force" them to invite Cal also.

If anything it would only make UCLA lose their invite. There's no way UCLA would have any leverage into forcing the Big10, and maybe that's what the regents would want. 

6 minutes ago, C Rod said:

That's what I thought but apparently the Regents have authority over UCLA. They can block UCLA which would ultimately lead to a long and messy fight in the California court system. If they do allow UCLA to leave, they could also force UCLA to reimburse Cal Berkley for the loss of future TV revenue. Ouch.

Get your popcorn ready and enjoy the show. 

Even the article mentions it as unlikely, but I guess technically possible. I'd think if they did block the move UCLA would then be able to sue the Regents over lost revenue as well so it gets very messy, and I doubt either side wants a long legal battle. I think it still goes through, but we will see. 

9 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

UC Berkeley is the flagship after all. And if they don't get invited to the party too then that might be enough to hold UCLA back. USC will follow whatever the UC regents do so they're not all alone on the island most likely. 

UCLA followed the policy in place at the time that allowed it to accept a Big10 invite.  They also need the $50 mil a year revenue to get out of current athletic debt.  They will leave.  The UC System regents are just sabre rattling trying to get Cal an invite too....lol.

On 11/18/2022 at 11:04 AM, Green Otaku said:

Delay? Yes, but I don't think they can actually stop them from doing it. 

The University of California-Berkeley and the University of California-Los Angeles have the same Board of Regents so they have the power over both universities.  So they can do it but that doesn't necessarily that they will do it.  We'll know next month of their decision.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1