North Texas to Mountain West?

Harry

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

I don't look down on the other schools, I don't like the leadership and organization of the conference. Tell me which conference commissioner you would rather have?

No doubt we have to continue to improve our own house but as someone who used to live down Denton way but now lives out west, comparing the towns and coverage of CUSA to MWC isn't even close. CUSA has Hattiesburg, Ruston, Huntington, Murfeesboro, Bowling Green and those likes. I don't count coverage of teams who are the fourth tier in their market like us, Rice and the Florida schools. Meanwhile MWC has Reno, Albuquerque, Boise, Las Vegas, Fresno and even Utah State and CSU get big coverage and have a good footprint in their areas. 

That's certainly not the only reason to change but in my opinion the MWC comes across as professional. CUSA comes across as holding things together with ducktape. I didn't really see it that way until the last few years and the way CUSA does things half ass. Just one man's opinion. 

Having said all that if Wren and the coaches were to say that being in CUSA is in best interest of the program and gives us the best chance to be successful, that would trump anything else.

Yeah but you read how people post about the other schools, that’s what I mean by looking down our noses.  I don’t so much but other’s do.  Well, I do with nUTSAck, but that’s it.

And an upgrade in leadership would go a long way for CUSA that’s for sure.  

I don’t know,...I see positives and negatives of both staying and leaving for the MWC.

Rick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

No doubt we have to continue to improve our own house but as someone who used to live down Denton way but now lives out west, comparing the towns and coverage of CUSA to MWC isn't even close. CUSA has Hattiesburg, Ruston, Huntington, Murfeesboro, Bowling Green and those likes. I don't count coverage of teams who are the fourth tier in their market like us, Rice and the Florida schools. Meanwhile MWC has Reno, Albuquerque, Boise, Las Vegas, Fresno and even Utah State and CSU get big coverage and have a good footprint in their areas.

That's certainly not the only reason to change but in my opinion the MWC comes across as professional. CUSA comes across as holding things together with ducktape. I didn't really see it that way until the last few years and the way CUSA does things half ass. Just one man's opinion.

I just don't get the point I placed in bold.  Would  you rather have CUSA or some conference that has the likes of Fayetteville, Tuscaloosa, Starksville, Oxford, Auburn, Tallahassee, Gainesville, etc...?

I strongly agree with conferences need strong leadership and schools committed to improvement/being the best.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I just don't get the point I placed in bold.  Would  you rather have CUSA or some conference that has the likes of Fayetteville, Tuscaloosa, Starksville, Oxford, Auburn, Tallahassee, Gainesville, etc...?

I strongly agree with conferences need strong leadership and schools committed to improvement/being the best.

If North Texas was in a conference that gave us $43 million dollars in revenue each year, then I wouldn't care where we played. But that's not the case, so yeah I would rather have MWC towns/markets/experience/ than CUSAs. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yeah but you read how people post about the other schools, that’s what I mean by looking down our noses.  I don’t so much but other’s do.  Well, I do with nUTSAck, but that’s it.

And an upgrade in leadership would go a long way for CUSA that’s for sure.  

I don’t know,...I see positives and negatives of both staying and leaving for the MWC.

Rick

For me, this is imperative if C-USA is going to remain where NT is parked.   As of now, outside of the comforts of having the 3 Texas teams & LATech within easy driving distance, & olympic sports travel costs being slightly lower in C-USA, there's virtually no upside to C-USA over MWC.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For me, this is imperative if C-USA is going to remain where NT is parked.   As of now, outside of the comforts of having the 3 Texas teams & LATech within easy driving distance, & olympic sports travel costs being slightly lower in C-USA, there's virtually no upside to C-USA over MWC.

La Tech in conference and being close by is another positive I hadn’t even thought of.  La Tech doesn’t make too many poor decisions and has always overachieved considering their facility and funding challenges.  They definitely would be a resource I would seek advice from in regards to the MWC considering they were there for many years and chose to get out.

Rick

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

La Tech in conference and being close by is another positive I hadn’t even thought of.  La Tech doesn’t make too many poor decisions and has always overachieved considering their facility and funding challenges.  They definitely would be a resource I would seek advice from in regards to the MWC considering they were there for many years and chose to get out.

Rick

Louisiana Tech was in the WAC prior to it's demise & got the lifeline they needed when C-USA/AAC re-structured.  Right place at the right time for sure.  
But their input would be beneficial in that regard for sure.   We constantly hear from some folks who will cite Big West days... but that was just so long ago.    Whereas LATech was competing in a predominantly West Coast conference as recently as 2012.   So if their fans would be willing to go back West in order to compete in the MWC (again, much more competitive/prestigious than WAC), then why wouldn't we?

• Upvote 1

If we got into a MWC eastern league that had La Tech, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, UNM, CSU, AFA, and Wyoming while the West had Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, SJSU, Nevada, UNLV, and Utah State, I'd take it...

No CST team can start on a Saturday night after 5pm when playing in the PST zone. And no PST has to play a game on a Saturday before 2:00 CST. Its not really hard to do...

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If we got into a MWC eastern league that had La Tech, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, UNM, CSU, AFA, and Wyoming while the West had Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, SJSU, Nevada, UNLV, and Utah State, I'd take it...

No CST team can start on a Saturday night after 5pm when playing in the PST zone. And no PST has to play a game on a Saturday before 2:00 CST. Its not really hard to do...

2 things here:
1. UTEP & UTSA not necessary.  I'd rather have Rice over UTSA if we're forced to bring 4.  Otherwise, us & LATech would be just fine.
2. Regarding the game start times, I recall reading somewhere they had some rules in place like that for TCU, and it wound up biting them in the rear regarding some of their games getting on the air, so they vowed never to do that again.    We'd have to be at their scheduling whims at first, which again, we're only looking at 4 games per year in-conference away games.  And even some of those could be started earlier.   We start several of our home games prior to 6:00 or 7:00pm Central.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I don't see that happening for the same reason the AAC won't add anyone... greed of the current members.  You add that many teams and there will be less money for the current members.  They don't give two $hits about improving the league or the future of the league which is sad.  Anyhoo, the question you must ask yourself is would you be ok with us being the ONLY team added to the MW and that would be more realistic in my mind.  They would like to have a team in Texas no doubt and DFW is closer to most of their schools than Houston.

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't see that happening for the same reason the AAC won't add anyone... greed of the current members.  You add that many teams and there will be less money for the current members.  They don't give two $hits about improving the league or the future of the league which is sad.  Anyhoo, the question you must ask yourself is would you be ok with us being the ONLY team added to the MW and that would be more realistic in my mind.  They would like to have a team in Texas no doubt and DFW is closer to most of their schools than Houston.

Maybe so, but I still believe that the MWC needs Texas eyeballs to get a better TV package. If they can sell the networks that they have DFW, San Antonio, and El Paso to add to their current markets, I think there are networks that would have interest higher than what they currently have. I think La Tech is just a better match for the MWC than Rice, IMO, which is why I add them back in.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

LaTech was in the (later and inferior) WAC, not the MWC.

Thank you, that’s what I meant.  12 years of WAC and 3 years of the Big West in the 90’s.  So my point still stands,...La Tech can tell you all anyone needs to know of playing out West.  Of course...anyone here who remembers our Big West day’s knows some of it as well.  There were not a lot of positives.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

On 6/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, untbowler said:

Fairly easy travel with Southwest flights out of Love Field

Every single away game being a flight gets expensive as a fan. 

I'll be at probably every away game this year because half of them I can hop in the car.  I don't know if I'd spend the $1k per away game for two people to fly, dine, and sleep if 100% of the away games are plane distance.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Every single away game being a flight gets expensive as a fan. 

I'll be at probably every away game this year because half of them I can hop in the car.  I don't know if I'd spend the $1k per away game for two people to fly, dine, and sleep if 100% of the away games are plane distance.

How many fans are at away games and how many more fans would show up at the Ap for Boise or Air Force? Largest away turnout I have seen was Arkansas .

8 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

How many fans are at away games and how many more fans would show up at the Ap for Boise or Air Force? Largest away turnout I have seen was Arkansas .

There’s been a reall good turnout at Rice and La Tech the past two trips. The 2017 Rice game was basically a home game for us. Of course....we could easily have between 3,000 and 6,000 at SMU this year too.

Rick 

• Upvote 1