MGB breaking: Briles among those who have sent resume

Brett Vito

A quote from the article

"Villarreal and UNT officials have spent the last few weeks traveling to interview candidates for the job, including at least one whose resume was not included in the information the school provided in response to the FOI request."

He was proabably talking about Riley because of the Startlegram article. Riley is probably pissed it got leaked and wants nothing to do with us now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some of those Waco horses are getting pretty high.

They're way up on the CFB chain right now but, for most of my life, I've spent watching them go 0-fer in conference play with maybe 2 or 3 total wins.   It really is amazing to watch what a good 4+ year run will do to a fanbase.

If memory serves me right it wasn't long ago when we destroyed them in Waco. What was that score. I think it was 05. 

• Upvote 2

If memory serves me right it wasn't long ago when we destroyed them in Waco. What was that score. I think it was 05. 

We beat them in Denton in 2003. The score was 52-14 and it wasn't even that close. That was a good night.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 7

I'm sorry but Briles sounds too much like Todd Dodge. Plus, I haven't seen any success that he has had that wasn't directly due to his daddy's help. 

Call me old school, but I would prefer someone who has gotten where he is by his own hand.....like Chris Thomsen. Thomsen has been a head coach in Texas and has been an assistant in the top catagory. He's obviously a hard worker and had very good success as a head coach with limited resources. 

I am very much in this camp.  

I know Brett is doing his job by pulling the ol FOI on the University but this just outed a lot of guys who may have not mentioned to their current employer they were interested in leaving. Again - it is another example of why you hire an outside firm to help in selecting a coach. FOI's do no good against a private company.

Now, all that said, I wonder if all of the people on that list have either withdrawn candidacy or are not being considered for the job. I say this because of this quote: "...including at least one whose resume was not included in the information the school provided in response to the FOI request." Perhaps, even with FOI, if there are a couple of actual offers out, the school can keep those quiet and not release because they are in negotiations and releasing the info could be detrimental to negotiations. Conjecture on my part for sure but a thought. 

• Upvote 5

I know Brett is doing his job by pulling the ol FOI on the University but this just outed a lot of guys who may have not mentioned to their current employer they were interested in leaving. Again - it is another example of why you hire an outside firm to help in selecting a coach. FOI's do no good against a private company.

Now, all that said, I wonder if all of the people on that list have either withdrawn candidacy or are not being considered for the job. I say this because of this quote: "...including at least one whose resume was not included in the information the school provided in response to the FOI request." Perhaps, even with FOI, if there are a couple of actual offers out, the school can keep those quiet and not release because they are in negotiations and releasing the info could be detrimental to negotiations. Conjecture on my part for sure but a thought. 

A good point.  I keep wondering when BU will tweet a statement from Kendal saying he is not interested...

Briles would have NOTHING to lose taking this job. It is all upside to him. He's walking up to a dumpster fire with a garden hose. If he can douse the flames and get this team to a bowl in the next 2-3 years he will be the hottest name for the best P5 openings across the nation.

If the dumpster keeps burning out of control... well, of course it did. He took the damn North Texas job! If he fails here, he will have made $1M+ a year for his efforts and he'd still be under 40 and could go back to calling plays for his daddy where he'd still be a candidate to get another head coaching gig. 

This dude would bring the excitement and coolness of Dodge, but he actually has legit college experience and success. Bringing in Briles is the homerun hire that would force me to make an appointment for laser surgery to remove my FIRE RV tattoo. 

latest?cb=20080712104434

my thoughts exactly he has nothing to lose.. but he can fill his pockets a little bit and gain some coaching experience. If it isn't UNT he will be a head coach some where some day. and i hope we dont turn him down and he goes to a ULM or a school like that and turns out to be his dads protege  and sits the world on fire. and we are still sitting here saying man i wish he were only older..i wish he had more experience..  blah blah blah 

• Upvote 3

Anyone else think that the number and quality of resumes, with exception of Briles and Jinks, looks very thin? I mean, is this all there is? Even if you are going thru an agent you must submit a resume at some point. Just asking.

These are my thoughts too. I'm hoping that somehow candidates we approached are not included. That's my only hope.

Briles seems to be doing ok on the road against a ranked team, with his 3rd string qb who was a wr till 3 weeks ago

Well, yeah.  So, he's interested in us, and some of us are saying we shouldn't be interested in him?  I'm thinking that 3rd string qb is better looking than anyone I've seen playing the position for North Texas, since at least 2007.  I'm going to start following members of our board around whenever I see them, so that I can pick up the wrinkled $100 bills they're leaving on the ground.  What don't we like, that he's the son of a wildly successful coach who's turned a lackadaisical program into one always expected to contend at the highest level?  Hell, I wouldn't care if some coach came in here and started his son at qb.  If that were a situation already working in our favor, we'd say he had a great pedigree and that was one of the reasons we thought he'd be a great coach for us.

• Upvote 5

Channel 8 Sports tonight reported our beating by the MUTS and our dismal record, then quoted Vito's report re: Briles' resume being submitted. Comment was something to the effect that help was possibly on the way.

• Upvote 3

Is Briles a good thing or bad thing for UNT? 

All I want is a coach that will recruits Texas like crazy and coaches to win the game not lose the game.

IMO, The thing that I love most about Briles, is that he will probably recruit the best qb that we have had in a long, long time. (And yes, I know Riley was highly rated. Think we used him wrong until his dad was gone, ironically?)

whatever the case may be, I think you look at the non p5, and a stud qb turns you around faster than anything. 

• Upvote 1

I had a 30 year career in medical device sales and distribution, and regardless of the situation my cup was always half full. However, I was always realistic in assessing the sales opportunity, which I think some of us are not doing when evaluating the attractiveness of the head coaching position. Granted we have a beautiful stadium, which leveled the playing field.And yes, we are close to the metroplex,a hot bed of high school football.However, for what ever the reasons, the previous 8 head coaches over the past 30 years have been fired.If UNT isn't the definition of a coaching graveyard I don't know what is. And if I am a successful coach at another program who is ready to move up, I don't think that this is a job that would attract me. Granted, if I turn this program around I could move up to coach the with the big boys. But what makes me think I can win where those before me have not. What has changed at UNT that  would allow me to be win? In addition, the A.D. is under fire, and I might not be working very long for the man who hired me. My point is that this job may not have coaches jumping up and down to apply, and who ever we hire must be a real risk taker. I just don't know how many of those guys are out there, which my be why our applicants seem a little thin. just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

True the bodies have been piling up but we have made efforts to improve like you said a new stadium plus we have increased salaries. To me you really only have one person to compare off of and that's D Mac. If you don't have enough swagger or don't think you can do better then you might need to find a new career. I really like the idea of Briles he grew up in this area he wouldn't have to pick up his family and move. Might also prolong his career at UNT.