11 job openings as of today

Harry

there were 15 at this same time last year.

South Carolina

Missou

Illinois

Maryland

USC

Miami

Va. Tech

UNT

Hawaii

UCF

ULM

I think we could be close to 15 by the end of the season.  For instance, will Texas keep Charlie Strong?  What about Larry Coker at UTSA (they beat Charlotte yesterday)?  There are others in question as well.  It will be interesting.

After everyone of the above mentioned has secured their hire. UNT will take from what is left and definitely from what comes the cheapest.

If we were talking about a litter of puppies here, I guess you're saying we're going to take the runt.

Honest Question:

If you had a close friend who was an up and coming college coordinator, and he asked you honestly whether he should take the UNT job, what would your honest answer be?

I'd tell him not at this time.

I have a friend who knows Lincoln Riley and I hope Lincoln has been told the same thing.  He's a Texas boy and will be an up and comer some day.  I don't want to see the reputation he's built destroyed by an incompetent athletic department that doesn't know how to give him 100 % support, who won't promote and market his team properly, won't schedule favorably and hang a 12 straight game noose around his neck........just to name a few.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Honest Question:

If you had a close friend who was an up and coming college coordinator, and he asked you honestly whether he should take the UNT job, what would your honest answer be?

For the money, take it. If they think P5 head coaching is eventually a possibility than obviously no. If they don't, then you could do worse given our position. I still don't buy the notion that no coach could win here. We have seen before that Texas ties can lead to successful recruiting here (Dodge's last recruiting class). If you are a competent coach and can recruit in Texas I don't see why you couldn't win here. 

• Upvote 2

So we would not suggest UNT to a friend?  Well than make Chico the HC and lets move on.  

I think this is the most sensible route to go.  Give him two years and see what (if anything) he can do.  He certainly won't do worse.  But more importantly for many, it likely takes the hiring reins out of the hands of the current administration.  Two years from now, maybe we're not the most unattractive job in the country.  

But since Chico has been here for six years, he's guilty by association, and therefore must go.  There is pretty much zero negotiation on this matter.

• Upvote 1

What is the earliest date you think a UNT head coach could be hired?

November 29th, probably November 30th because it is a Monday. They will not hire a coach prior to the end of our current season. McCarney was hired Monday, November 29th, 2010 according to the media from back then. The press conference was Tuesday November 30th at 2pm. Our last game in 2010 was Saturday, November 27th. I imagine we will have a coach hired by December 1 because our hiring folks(whoever they are) will want the new coach to have time to put the staff together and start recruiting ASAP.

It appears the McCarney hire was determined by November 22nd. RV will know who the next coach will be in the next week. The rest of us will know by December 1. That's what I'm guessing.

• Upvote 1

Honest Question:

If you're willing to put the work in and create something that will be completely your own, then this is a great job.  It won't be easy, it won't be quick (though you never know) but it can be done.  This may not be the job for one of those young and popular offensive coordinators who want their own P5 team sooner rather than later.  I don't know if any of them want to put the effort required for this job. 

• Upvote 1

Honest Question:

What a stupid question.  I'd tell him that we have some A-hole fans, so don't read the gmg.com board.  

Then I'd tell him to take the freaking job.  To compete within our own conference we have all the tools available.  Relative to our peers we have solid facilities, competitive pay, a usually fairly soft schedule (all the fan griping about FCS games = winnable game to a coach looking for wins), a huge & diverse school (others claim it, we actually exhibit it), access to DFW recruiting and of course, Texas co-eds.  :)

We need a coach to come in here and win, get hired away and start this over again.  We have had successful head coaches.  They have had their staff members retire or poached (while they themselves were not poached) and they haven't been able to make good hires to replace key guys.  So, we look like a coaching graveyard to those who dwell on the negatives.  A lot of that was established during DD's tenure when we really weren't competitive on pay.  Then we whiffed on Dodge.  As Harry has said, you guys need to start living in the post-Apogee UNT.  We need to hire that young up and comer who wins and leaves for the bigger job to shut up all the naysayers.  This is not a coaching graveyard.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The good thing about so many openings is that there will be LOTS of assistant coaches looking for a job because their head coach just got fired.  Some of these will be good coaches who ended up in bad situations.   Our new head coach should be able to put together a good coaching staff with lots of college coaching experience in a very short period of time.    This will be really important because they will need to hit the ground running to get a decent recruiting class signed for next February's national signing day and/or get some decent junior college signees that can get here for the Spring semester.