Kendal Briles

StealthEagle84

I went to the Baylor / OU game last night and came away not overly impressed with Lil Briles. He has a lot of room to improve as a coordinator and I don't think he's anywhere ready to be the head coach of an FBS team. It may be that he toned down the play calling bc he's working with a true freshman at QB, but the talent is there with Stidham. OU did everything they could to keep from getting beat deep and it ultimately worked. But when the run game got bogged down, Briles did little to 'run' without running (i.e. Screens, short passes, etc). 

Edited by StealthEagle84
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I was there at BU last night as well. Taking Kendal Briles would virtually kill this program. His inexperience was grossly evident. We must have head coaching experience even if it is FCS or DII. Hiring a P5 assistant unless we include a coordinator that has head coaching experience is a formula for disaster. All you big offense theorists take a look at Navy vs. SMU. Willie Fritz may run the triple option like Navy, but how did SMU show that it's great pass/run game could come back after a run game and clock control had virtually decided the game in the first quarter? I'll take 3-0 wins over 60-59 losses any day of the week.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Baylor didn't lose that game because of little Birles or their offense. The Baylor offense managed to score 34 points on the best defense in the Big12, despite having a true freshman running the show in his second start. Briles did his job. The defense didn't.

• Upvote 3

I was there at BU last night as well. Taking Kendal Briles would virtually kill this program. His inexperience was grossly evident. We must have head coaching experience even if it is FCS or DII. Hiring a P5 assistant unless we include a coordinator that has head coaching experience is a formula for disaster. All you big offense theorists take a look at Navy vs. SMU. Willie Fritz may run the triple option like Navy, but how did SMU show that it's great pass/run game could come back after a run game and clock control had virtually decided the game in the first quarter? I'll take 3-0 wins over 60-59 losses any day of the week.

I listened to the Navy game on the radio and it was interesting.  The Navy announcers were really enjoying the fact that they aren't running an offense for glamour.  They run it to fit the type of player they can recruit.  They run it because it gives them the best chance to win.   They absolutely owned SMU in this game.  

Edited by Harry

I went to the Baylor / OU game last night and came away not overly impressed with Lil Briles. He has a lot of room to improve as a coordinator and I don't think he's anywhere ready to be the head coach of an FBS team. It may be that he toned down the play calling bc he's working with a true freshman at QB, but the talent is there with Stidham. OU did everything they could to keep from getting beat deep and it ultimately worked. But when the run game got bogged down, Briles did little to 'run' without running (i.e. Screens, short passes, etc

You should be the offensive coordinator for Baylor...

• Upvote 1

Lincoln Riley>Kendal Briles   and it isn't even close. Doesn't matter though since both claim they don't want our job.

Why do I think you would have had this the other way for Briles had Baylor won the game?  Nevertheless, both could stay put and possibly be the heir apparent at both places.  Riley's  stock has skyrocketed this season and Briles will continue to learn and be with his Dad.

Why do I think you would have had this the other way for Briles had Baylor won the game?  Nevertheless, both could stay put and possibly be the heir apparent at both places.  Riley's  stock has skyrocketed this season and Briles will continue to learn and be with his Dad.

Exactly Harry.

Say Lincoln Riley's name leaked out on October 9th...  Then the Red River game happened the next day.  What do you think people would have been saying about Riley the following week?   "His offense sucks.", "If he can't even score enough points to beat Texas, how is he going to be able to get UNT to win?"....

• Upvote 2

this would be like saying... yeah, but what if Mac had won all those games that he lost? I bet you would have still wanted him here!

yes, being able to put together a winning format/strategy is exactly what i want.

And if anything, Mac didn't learn squat from Urban Meyer at Florida on how to be a successful head football coach. But to sit there and say he isn't ready after losing their starting QB, now playing a true freshman and having their first loss to a red hot OU team is ludicrous. But then again, we have people over here saying give Coach Chico a 2 year extension because he ONLY loss to Tennessee team by 24.

Respectfully, you'd be wrong Harry. I'm still for Riley even after the ass-kicking they took at the hands of a pitiful Texas team. Briles hasn't worked anywhere but Baylor. Riley has been at Tech, ECU, and now OU. Riley has had to earn everything on his own merit. He didn't have to rely on Daddy's coattails.

Look at what Lincoln Riley has done with a Tech reject at quarterback. Herbstreit was talking like the kid deserves a Heisman.

Briles would not be an OC at a P5 program right now if his boss' last name wasn't Briles.

• Upvote 1

Respectfully, you'd be wrong Harry. I'm still for Riley even after the ass-kicking they took at the hands of a pitiful Texas team. Briles hasn't worked anywhere but Baylor. Riley has been at Tech, ECU, and now OU. Riley has had to earn everything on his own merit. He didn't have to rely on Daddy's coattails.

Look at what Lincoln Riley has done with a Tech reject at quarterback. Herbstreit was talking like the kid deserves a Heisman.

Briles would not be an OC at a P5 program right now if his boss' last name wasn't Briles.

I agree with the big picture here, and maybe you have enough discernment to keep from knee-jerking from week to week.  

Riley has more than made up for his team's awful week in the Cotton Bowl.  But I just wonder what the opinions of him would be the week after that loss.  Kinda like many one here were so high on Briles (I have echoed your sentiments above since his name was brought up), but now that his team has lost... uh, maybe he's not so good.  

I agree with the big picture here, and maybe you have enough discernment to keep from knee-jerking from week to week.  

Riley has more than made up for his team's awful week in the Cotton Bowl.  But I just wonder what the opinions of him would be the week after that loss.  Kinda like many one here were so high on Briles (I have echoed your sentiments above since his name was brought up), but now that his team has lost... uh, maybe he's not so good.  

This was the first time I've actually seen Kendal coaching on tv and I was not impressed. Give me Colby Carthel over Kendal.