Banner perspective

UNT90

RV deserves to feel as embarrassed as we all do when we get drilled by 59 points to an FCS school.  I think this banner will at least embarrass him and I am fine with it.

For the record, the man leading the team for that loss was fired immediately after the game as he should've. To my knowledge, RV doesn't coach football.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

For the record, the man leading the team for that loss was fired immediately after the game as he should've. To my knowledge, RV doesn't coach football.

No, he doesn't. But he hired the people that have led us to a 28-72 overall record in football. That's what RV is responsible for. He then has the audacity to tell us that he has done a fine job here and would stack his resume next to anyone else's. I don't see how that is defended by any true Mean Green fan. 28-72. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Tactical point...how visible will the banner be at 6pm when the sun is coming down...just curious.

It has been posted several times, the Banner will fly from 4-5:00pm that Saturday.

RV hired him, then undermined him by letting the news slip of his termination before the actual game. Ever wonder why the players looked that bad? Because they had just recently found out that the Head Coach would be fired and they would most likely have all new coaches next season. So yes Rick has plenty of responsibility for the situation in my opinion. 

Tactical point...how visible will the banner be at 6pm when the sun is coming down...just curious.

The banner is flying from 4-5PM, not at 6. 

No, he hires people who coach football.

Are you suggesting he has no accountability for those hires?

Fly the BANNER!!!!!! If someone doesn't think 66-0(I mean 7) by a FCS team isn't embarrassing to all connected with this university then I will never see eye to eye with them. I am sick of lame excuses that constantly filter down from the AD. RV has been unable to seize the moment twice in the last 15 years, the bowl years and HoD bowl. Time for CHANGE....................and the peasants are restless!

• Upvote 3

No, he doesn't. But he hired the people that have led us to a 28-72 overall record in football. That's what RV is responsible for. He then has the audacity to tell us that he has done a fine job here and would stack his resume next to anyone else's. I don't see how that is defended by any true Mean Green fan. 28-72. 

RV's coaches can boast victories over teams with overall combined records of 110-257, and if you take out the bowl season (46-67), RV's teams have been victorious over teams that went a combined total of 64-190. Not too stellar, especially when you consider that roughly half of our victories since '07 were against terrible FU, smu, WKU, Monroe, and FCS teams. Other than a couple of nice wins during the bowl season, RV's hires have had almost zero notable victories. Unless you want to count Indiana and Ball State, who had a combined record of 3-21 during the seasons that we beat them.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the point has already been made by raising the money in 24 hours. However, at this point, some folks have donated up to $750.00 to see this thing fly. I say let it fly. 

A lot of fans are going to see the banner who don't read GMG and don't read the media outlets that have written about it.

Assuming that the number of people still going to games this year can accurately be described with the word "lot."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Won't be a whole lot of people there for the game even if its sunny if posts from our most passionate fans are any indication; fewer for the 4-5 hour and fewer still if wunderground.com is correct (60% chance of rain from 4-5 pm). Wouldn't want to try to sway GMG.com's Ted Cruz (a compliment in my mind) but any sunny weekday lunch hour flight over the Admin Bldg will serve your purpose and be seen by more people.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Fly the BANNER!!!!!! If someone doesn't think 66-0(I mean 7) by a FCS team isn't embarrassing to all connected with this university then I will never see eye to eye with them. I am sick of lame excuses that constantly filter down from the AD. RV has been unable to seize the moment twice in the last 15 years, the bowl years and HoD bowl. Time for CHANGE....................and the peasants are restless!

Call the banner what you will, but it will be tough to ignore.

• Upvote 2

I think this is an overreaction from the people who oppose it. For people opposing it because they think:

A - It will look bad an cause a black eye for the university

B - It will look bad on our program and deter coaches and/or recruits from coming here

C - It's in poor taste

IMO the only one debatable is C. It's not going to hurt our University or look bad on us anymore than having what most perceive as a joke of an athletics program. Most recruits who the new coach will pursue after he gets hired and in future classes honestly probably won't even know it happened. They'll be too busy tomorrow hanging out with friends and watching the games every other non-UNT fan watches on Saturdays: the ones on ESPN, CBS, etc.

Here's a couple conversations for people outside the gomeangreen community if they hear about this:

UNT Student A - "Did you hear about the banner that flew over the football stadium on Saturday?"

UNT Student B - "What did it say?"

A - "Fire somebody."

B - "Fire who? I thought they already fired the coach."

A - "The athletic director, I think."

B - "Who is he?"

A - "I'm not really sure. I think he's like, in charge of all of the sports, and helps coach them or something."

B - "Oh. Maybe they should fire him. They suck."

Conversation the following Monday at the water cooler between TCU grad and A&M grad, after they've exhausted talk about their schools but still don't want to start working:

TCU grad - "Did you hear about that banner they flew over the stadium at the UNT game?"

TAMU grad - "No, who is UNT"

TCU grad - "The school up in Denton."

TAMU grad - "Oh, you mean NTSU? I thought they dropped football years ago."

TCU grad - "Not that I follow them, but a friend from SMU mentioned that they flew a banner demanding the firing of their Athletic Director."

TAMU - "Yeah, I don't blame them. If our Athletic Director dropped Football I would want him fired as well."

fixed it for you.

• Upvote 3

No, he doesn't. But he hired the people that have led us to a 28-72 overall record in football. That's what RV is responsible for. He then has the audacity to tell us that he has done a fine job here and would stack his resume next to anyone else's. I don't see how that is defended by any true Mean Green fan. 28-72

A true Mean Green fan would support the program regardless of who is fortunate enough to hire the head coaches. 

RV hired him, then undermined him by letting the news slip of his termination before the actual game. Ever wonder why the players looked that bad? Because they had just recently found out that the Head Coach would be fired and they would most likely have all new coaches next season. So yes Rick has plenty of responsibility for the situation in my opinion.

You don't know that the news of him getting fired was a failure on RV's part. It may've been leaked by a donor putting up the cash to buyout Mac's contract. None of us truly know. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

A true Mean Green fan would support the program regardless of who is fortunate enough to hire the head coaches. 

You don't know that the news of him getting fired was a failure on RV's part. It may've been leaked by a donor putting up the cash to buyout Mac's contract. None of us truly know. 

I know that is RV's responsibility. What makes you think they went to donors first? Did we even go to donors for the buyout? 

No, he hires people who coach football.

Are you suggesting he has no accountability for those hires?

I'm saying his first football hire wasn't prepared for the college game. He was a gamble that just didn't work out. His second hire brought us our first bowl win and 9-win season in a decade. RV couldn't have known the Mac was going to use the team to put his personal relationships above the good of the program. Mac's tenure wasn't a complete failure, the bowl win season and his willingness to fire Mac in the first half of the season should be enough to give RV some grace.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm saying his first football hire wasn't prepared for the college game. He was a gamble that just didn't work out. His second hire brought us our first bowl win and 9-win season in a decade. RV couldn't have known the Mac was going to use the team to put his personal relationships above the good of the program. Mac's tenure wasn't a complete failure, the bowl win season and his willingness to fire Mac in the first half of the season should be enough to give RV some grace.

Nope. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The buck stops where?

The guy coaching the team. He does a poor job, he gets fired. Simple as that.

I know that is RV's responsibility. What makes you think they went to donors first? Did we even go to donors for the buyout? 

We just have $2.1 million extra dollars laying around the athletic department? I doubt that very seriously. Of course they had to go to the donors to get the cash to buy Mac out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We just have $2.1 million extra dollars laying around the athletic department? I doubt that very seriously. Of course they had to go to the donors to get the cash to buy Mac out.

I not sure that is how it works, or how it is typically financed. Part of that buyout  is the rest this year's pay so some should have been lying around. I also not sure how that 2.1 million is paid, I would not think it is a lump sum. I do believe if Mac comes up with a job in those last two years it can change the payout. I am thinking it is a payment set up then. So they probably don't have to raise the money ahead of time, well unless you know better. 

Edited by KingDL1

That's not how buyouts work in athletics.

The buyout is for McCarney's future money owed to him in 2016, 2017 and 2018. He's not getting it in a lump sum now -- it's still going to be paid over time.

One of the terms is that we owe him less if he takes another coaching job, based on what that job pays. That's another reason we wouldn't pay him it all up front.

Sorry. It's not that simple. The coaches and AD with the staff are a team too. If you don't get that then you don't know how it works. 

• Upvote 1

And what about Benford, and Peterson, and Stephens?

When do you decide that the problem is with the person making the hires

• Upvote 3