Vito update on UNT Coaching Search

Harry

What most of us seem to agree on is that list doesn't do much for us. If RV is going to be the hiring manager..AGAIN, then he must not repeat the last mistake. Get Sonny Cumbie or another "Pass Happy-Guns Blazing" offensive guru in here to get people excited again. It's time to make a real change, and the same ole hum-drum coaching candidates should be out the window. Those guys are out there, but you still have to sell them on what can be accomplished at North Texas. By the end of this season we will know what D. Smith has to offer next season. That may be enough to peak a coach's interest? As I am also trying to accept what appears to be a forgone conclusion, here is a quick note to our continuing AD...

Please don't hire Hal Wasson.

GMG!!! 

I really don't think it's irrelevant to recruits since they know he not only away a stud in college but also played in the league.

As for kids leaving Denton, while I hate seeing another Ryan kid go to SMU it happens everywhere. Gainesville, Florida kids don't all go to UF...

As my quote stated i don't expect all Denton recruits to go to UNT just not to other non-P5 conference schools.  Denton recruits should see UNT as one the best non-P5 conference school options they have if offered.  Cobbs being a stud at UNT reflects well on him and not so much UNT.   Sure they may respect him as coach but I don't think that has any impact on the respect they have for UNT.   Well at least none of the one I have talked to in past did.  If that were the case we would lose virtually 100% of Denton recruits with FBS options regardless of star rating.  As for Gainsville Florida recruits not going to UF, I know that happens but I bet if they are coveted by other SEC schools they just end up there instead of Florida.  Losing Denton recruits to P5 schools is acceptable but if they are FBS level talent and they are leaving Denton for UTSA, UTEP, Tulane, and Tulsa that is not acceptable.  What makes a school desirable to a recruit is combination of location, facilities, coaching, history and recent success.  We are sorely lacking in all the categories except facilities (average) and location (average).

• Downvote 1

As my quote stated i don't expect all Denton recruits to go to UNT just not to other non-P5 conference schools.  Denton recruits should see UNT as one the best non-P5 conference school options they have if offered.  Cobbs being a stud at UNT reflects well on him and not so much UNT.   Sure they may respect him as coach but I don't think that has any impact on the respect they have for UNT.   Well at least none of the one I have talked to in past did.  If that were the case we would lose virtually 100% of Denton recruits with FBS options regardless of star rating.  As for Gainsville Florida recruits not going to UF, I know that happens but I bet if they are coveted by other SEC schools they just end up there instead of Florida.  Losing Denton recruits to P5 schools is acceptable but if they are FBS level talent and they are leaving Denton for UTSA, UTEP, Tulane, and Tulsa that is not acceptable.  What makes a school desirable to a recruit is combination of location, facilities, coaching, history and recent success.  We are sorely lacking in all the categories except facilities (average) and location (average).

ya know, some kids want to LEAVE their home city and experience true college life AWAY from home...i live in denton, but i would like for my kids to go away for college and experience life on their own in a new area.  i don't see a problem with local kids going to school elsewhere.   north texas is a fine school and it has served me well, but if north texas were in the city i grew up in, it would not have been my college of choice...

• Upvote 7

ya know, some kids want to LEAVE their home city and experience true college life AWAY from home...i live in denton, but i would like for my kids to go away for college and experience life on their own in a new area.  i don't see a problem with local kids going to school elsewhere.   north texas is a fine school and it has served me well, but if north texas were in the city i grew up in, it would not have been my college of choice...

I have always felt part of the experience of going away to college is going away to college. 

• Upvote 3

This x1000.

This. I grew up in Midland, about an hour away from Lubbock. I chose North Texas because it wasn't Tech. I hate Tech, and 3/4 of my high school class went there. North Texas offered a new experience and I had to get out of West Texas. 

• Upvote 1

This is why we were pretty successful in recruiting East Texas and the Houston area for so long.

• Upvote 1

Well that isn't my experience because I am from Denton.

This. I grew up in Midland, about an hour away from Lubbock. I chose North Texas because it wasn't Tech. I hate Tech, and 3/4 of my high school class went there. North Texas offered a new experience and I had to get out of West Texas. 

That 3/4 statement kind of proves my point.   UNT is the best school in the west division of CUSA unless you count Rice.  SMU is not exactly expanding you cultural experience when you live 35 miles down the road from it.  This commit when to SMU not Rice, Houston, or the P5 conference schools in the area.  He probably went there because UNT's program sucks.  So while we trumpet our location in other threads as advantage in this thread people are arguing proximity is a deterrent?  So are you advising the new staff basically ignore most talent in Dallas, Tarrant, Collin and Wise Counties and spend most there recruiting time in East and South Texas?  smh

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I here a few good ideas regarding who the next Head Coach should be.

Youngish; Texas Native; proven winner.

North Texas should purse former Steele High School Coach Mike Jinks.  Jinks took a brand new High school out in Cibolo, outside San Antonio, and made them Texas 6A State Champs in 4 years.  He has 35 players playing college ball right now.  He is an offensive mind, with the understanding of building great defenses.  At one point, he had two of the top three Safeties in the country playing for him.  He has former players right now starting for Oklahoma state; Baylor; Texas Tech, and a few other D-1 schools.

He is currently the Asst Head Coach @ Texas Tech, he was brought there in my opinion to dominate the San Antonio recruiting region, and get that hotbed of talent to Texas Tech.  In the Cibolo area alone you have schools with major talent Steele; Clemens; Wagner & Converse Judson.  To date Jinks has two 4 Star recruits from Steele signed ALREADY, and almost had a Steele 5-Star recruit Mark Jackson, (Who turned down Alabama).  My point is he is a winner and can recruit the hottest bed of talent in the state right now (San Antonio). Recruiting is how North Texas gets a winning program.  Jinks is WELL respected in San Antonio, 4 & 5 Star recruits will follow him to North Texas.

He should keep Canales as the OC, an NT will become a good program, I see NO other way to compete from a recruiting perspective with TCU; Baylor; & UT unless you get a guy like Jinks.  Have to get him now or it will be too late.  Not too many HS coaches go straight from HS to a D-1 school, and after one year they are the Asst HC

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just a thought but if the word got out that RV's leading candidates for head coach were two Division II head coaches w/limited head coaching experience and a three-year position coach, the banner flyover would be like winning for him because after that it would get really ugly.   After Dodge, we aren't allowed to mention high school coaching experience even if it got you National Coach of the Year...or four state championships.

North Texas should purse former Steele High School Coach Mike Jinks.  Jinks took a brand new High school out in Cibolo, outside San Antonio, and made them Texas 6A State Champs in 4 years.  He has 35 players playing college ball right now.  He is an offensive mind, with the understanding of building great defenses.  At one point, he had two of the top three Safeties in the country playing for him.  He has former players right now starting for Oklahoma state; Baylor; Texas Tech, and a few other D-1 schools.

He is currently the Asst Head Coach @ Texas Tech, he was brought there in my opinion to dominate the San Antonio recruiting region, and get that hotbed of talent to Texas Tech.  In the Cibolo area alone you have schools with major talent Steele; Clemens; Wagner & Converse Judson.  To date Jinks has two 4 Star recruits from Steele signed ALREADY, and almost had a Steele 5-Star recruit Mark Jackson, (Who turned down Alabama).  My point is he is a winner and can recruit the hottest bed of talent in the state right now (San Antonio). Recruiting is how North Texas gets a winning program.  Jinks is WELL respected in San Antonio, 4 & 5 Star recruits will follow him to North Texas.

He should keep Canales as the OC, an NT will become a good program, I see NO other way to compete from a recruiting perspective with TCU; Baylor; & UT unless you get a guy like Jinks.  Have to get him now or it will be too late.  Not too many HS coaches go straight from HS to a D-1 school, and after one year they are the Asst HC

Art Briles was the Texas Tech running back coach from 2000-2003 prior to being hired as the Head Coach at Houston in 2003.  He was never an Asst. Head Coach. He and Jinks have very similar backgrounds.  He is certainly a Coach that should be considered. Also, Briles had no College coaching experience before going to Tech.

Edited by MCMLXXX

Do what Memphis did...get an OC from a mid-major or non-brand P5 that is doing well. 

In addition to Brad Cornelsen at Memphis, I think another under the radar name is Kevin Johns, Indiana's OC/QB/WR coach.  He's done a great job developing their QB, Nate Sudfeld, in addition to putting together a nice receiving corp.  Indiana simply doesn't have the athletes to keep up with the elites in the Big Ten. But, they did give Ohio State and Michigan State some fits.

Dark horse candidate, for sure.  But, where we are, you kind of can't leave any stone unturned. 

What I don't want to see happen is to try to fit another square peg in a round hole.  In this case, the round hole is "we need better talent."  The square peg that I'm afraid we may try to hammer through it is, "has to have strong Texas ties."

Texas high schoolers have left Texas for years.  I don't think it's exactly headline news to Texas high school coaches when a non-Texan football coach knocks at their door or rings their phone asking about a player or two.   

What I'd hate to see is good candidates left out.  I'm happy that we are looking for an offensive minded coach.  But, I don't mind where he comes from.  And, if it's a guy from a P5 program, odds are that he's experienced enough in recruiting to get the job done in Texas - or, anywhere.  We need talent upgrades all around.  I don't care if they come from Texas or Timbuktu!

Mike Jinks would be a GREAT choice. He's well know among HS coaches and now the current college experience Dodge lacked. 

• Upvote 1

Mike Jinks would be a GREAT choice. He's well know among HS coaches and now the current college experience Dodge lacked. 

Todd Dodge coached the QB/WR's at North Texas in 92-93. 

He had college coaching experience, and since it was at North Texas he should have remembered that the biggest challenge of coaching at North Texas was recruiting players to our culture.

Edited by SilverEagle

Todd Dodge coached the QB/WR's at North Texas in 92-93. 

He had college coaching experience, and since it was at North Texas he should have remembered that the biggest challenge of coaching at North Texas was recruiting players to our culture.

"...recruiting players to our culture".  Serious question Silver-what exactly does that mean?  

I don't know where Brett Vito got the idea that a committee was in the works, but that was never going to happen. R.V. stepped outside the box when he hired Dodge, which blew up in his face. Danny Mac was a safe hire, that fell apart quicker than the fall of Siagon. This next hire must be spot on. Personally I think coach Chico has earned a shot over any other assistant coach from other programs that might be under consideration The question is can R.V. afford to take the chance on anyone other that a proven head coach with strong Texas ties. Personally I think not

• Downvote 2

Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that not all kids come from our own background. This is extremely kid specific.

What if the kid is the only child from a one parent family, or the oldest child from a one parent family? They may want to stay close to home to help with the family or to be near the only parent they have.

This isn't a blanket thing, and to think it is would be missing out on some great recruiting opportunities.

• Upvote 1

"...recruiting players to our culture".  Serious question Silver-what exactly does that mean?  

I thought I covered that in the "Danny Mac Curse" thread. But here's the cliff notes version.

First of all, lets call any school that is recruiting a player a family. If you are looking at the choices of NT, Houston, A&M, Texas Tech, TCU...or even La Tech or LaLa, and  Win/loss records are a non-factor in this "what if" scenario. So, if you are looking for a family where you feel most comfortable, most supported, and feel like you will always belong, which of those schools looks most appealing to you?

Edited by SilverEagle

I don't know where Brett Vito got the idea that a committee was in the works, but that was never going to happen. R.V. stepped outside the box when he hired Dodge, which blew up in his face. Danny Mac was a safe hire, that fell apart quicker than the fall of Siagon. This next hire must be spot on. Personally I think coach Chico has earned a shot over any other assistant coach from other programs that might be under consideration The question is can R.V. afford to take the chance on anyone other that a proven head coach with strong Texas ties. Personally I think not

Have you ever taken any risk at all in life? Chico is responsible for not having a single FBS QB on this roster even though there are 9 on the team.

NINE!

See ya, Chico. 

• Upvote 2

You may be right about that. But do you start over or have a "come to Jesus" meeting with Coach Canales about the perception of his recruit....or the lack thereof, and then give him a shot if his response seems.......insightful?