Gang of 17

wardly

Well, a friend called and said the number 17 represented the suite holders at our stadium. I guess I am getting old, as I never would have guessed it. I wonder how many club seat holders it takes to equal a suite holder and expand the gang?

I believe the first step is raise the 15k/YR MGC donation.  I am sure there is a Stadium Fund donation, but I have no idea what it is.  

As Butch said to Sundance,"who are these guys?"

Well, it's a well-known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as "The Pentivirate," who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as "The Meadows."

stuartmckenzie1.jpg

• Upvote 4

Well, it's a well-known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as "The Pentivirate," who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as "The Meadows."

stuartmckenzie1.jpg

TheFranchise is obviously a paid propaganda agent covering up for the Real 17, the lizard people:

unh1EEW.gif

• Upvote 5

Why would they come on here and say "me, I'm one of the 17"? So you guys can bombard them, tell them what bad people they are, how they don't care about your university because they see things differently than you"?

Here is an idea and no doubt a very unpopular one at this time but maybe, just maybe, these 17 got to the means they have by making good decisions in life and not doing the popular thing. Maybe they are protecting us from ourselves. Maybe they are wise not to make rash decisions. Maybe the candidates that are available just aren't as good as RV. None of us know that, but I trust these guys because they wouldn't be able to donate over $15k every year if they had bad judgment.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Do you like the triple option?

The one time I've ever really seen it was the K-State Fouts finale game back in 2010.  Gotta admit that when well executed, I did indeed kinda sorta enjoy watching it.  But then again, we'd just been through four years of everybody stare at the sidelines for forty seconds, go long, and hope for the best.

I don't see why some have decided that this so called group of 17 is the enemy.  First, I can almost guarantee that no 17 people agree on almost anything, much less the value of an embattled AD.  It is this kind of groups that most AD's fear because they can exert too much power and are responsible for a lot of terminations.  

Second, RV works for the university; not this group although apparently some of this group are either members or heavily affiliated with the BOR.  The President is RV's direct boss and only he can terminate him.  

It is obviously the biggest donors have a lot more clout than the average fan.  That the way it works in politics and that is exactly the way it works with NT's athletic program.  It is my belief that most of these people care about NT a lot more than RV and that will ultimately play out.  If they are contributing to the McCarney buyout, they did a great service for the university.  

• Upvote 7

Why would they come on here and say "me, I'm one of the 17"? So you guys can bombard them, tell them what bad people they are, how they don't care about your university because they see things differently than you"?

Here is an idea and no doubt a very unpopular one at this time but maybe, just maybe, these 17 got to the means they have by making good decisions in life and not doing the popular thing. Maybe they are protecting us from ourselves. Maybe they are wise not to make rash decisions. Maybe the candidates that are available just aren't as good as RV. None of us know that, but I trust these guys because they wouldn't be able to donate over $15k every year if they had bad judgment.

That gets in the way of the narrative on this board, though.  The will of the dozen or so that post here regularly is supposed to influence the school more than people who have given hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years.

Get with it, bro...it's all message board revolutions these days. The revolution will certainly not be televised.  And, even if it were, how would would find it with so many channels?  If it's on Longhorn Network, you'd have never seen it anyway.

Also, in a like manner, I doubt that whomever this "Gang of 17" is spends time reading a college sports message board.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Maybe the candidates that are available just aren't as good as RV. None of us know that, but I trust these guys because they wouldn't be able to donate over $15k every year if they had bad judgment.

That isn't true plenty of very wealthy people make stupid decisions daily.  Plenty of people who make 50 thousand a year make great financial decisions just have less to work with.  Also, the idea that RV is a better candidate than anyone is laughable.  Our Athletic Department is inept at best, there is zero communication, we are not on social media (twitter specifically) relaying information.  That is a major problem, all of his bad hires aside, one of my biggest problem with this department is everytime I try to buy tickets to an event it is like pulling teeth.  Wait on the phone get transfered, have to ask questions to know the answer, take a week to get emailed back (if that is the route I go).  That all falls on the AD.  He obviously doesn't care, which is stupid.  The elite dont fill the stadium up, it is the upper middle,  middle, and lower classes that will do that.  Yet those are the fans you neglect the most.  Doesn't make much sense to me. 

• Upvote 3

If you don't think big donors have a huge effect on decisions in the athletic department, look no further than this year at UT. Once Joe Jamil and Red McCombs threatened to pull their support the UT Athletic Director was immediately gone. If you want to see a really unfair business model extremely unfriendly to long term fans just look at procedures he had put in place! However, he was given every chance to succeed until the big donors threatened to pull their support.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If you don't think big donors have a huge effect on decisions in the athletic department, look no further than this year at UT. Once Joe Jamil and Red McCombs threatened to pull their support the UT Athletic Director was immediately gone. If you want to see a really unfair business model extremely unfriendly to long term fans just look at procedures he had put in place! However, he was given every chance to succeed until the big donors threatened to pull their support.

I do think they play a much bigger role in the whole thing than they should, but it is the real world and money does carry a MUCH bigger stick than anything else.