Looking Forward

UNT90

WKU in 4 days. Probably the best team in the conference. 

A program that has moved forward while UNT continues backward under RV.

It will be interesting to see how this team reacts with Mac gone.

It will be interesting to see how this team reacts to dual head coaches (wtf?). 

It will be interesting to see attendance for a nationally telecast game.

The rest of the season will be very interesting.

• Upvote 1

I spoke earlier that if we lose this game, we go 0-12 because confidence will be shattered.

And I was thinking maybe a 7 to 14 point loss.

Not a 59 point loss. To a FCS team. At home. On homecoming.

I don't care if Knute Rockne is the interm coach, I don't see how this team recovers from this to win one single game.

Oh, and the first announcement the new dual interm coaches need to make is that D. Smith is starting against WKU. That needs to happen today or tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

I spoke earlier that if we lose this game, we go 0-12 because confidence will be shattered.

And I was thinking maybe a 7 to 14 point loss.

Not a 59 point loss. To a FCS team. At home. On homecoming.

I don't care if Knute Rockne is the interm coach, I don't see how this team recovers from this to win one single game.

Oh, and the first announcement the new dual interm coaches need to make is that D. Smith is starting against WKU. That needs to happen today or tomorrow.

Yep. Daddy has left the stage, so it's time for the new kid in town to get his reps and get ready for next year. How Cosh with his ridiculously horrible defense is still around as half a head coach is beyond belief.

• Upvote 2

Vito's article said an interm will be determined sometime today. 

Are we jumping the gun assuming the dual interm head coach thing? Seriously, who does that?

RV screws up again, not surprised. Cosh should've been canned last night. Chico should be the interim. 

This game has the potential to get real ugly real fast, although it would be hard to top yesterday. It was obvious that the kids quit on Coach Mac. It also obvious that his departure was a mercy killing, and that he expected it. We will probably go 0 and 12 , similar to So. Miss.'s collapse of a few seasons ago, and start from scratch. Our next coach will ,in my opinion will, determine the long term future of Eagle football. Will we have a program like UTEP, or one like Houston. Will we be another New Mexico State, or can we be Arkansan State, whom we lost to 10 years in a row. I am 72, and hope to see the answer to this question in my lifetime.Goals  and objectives must be reasonable and obtainable, with a little pie in the sky. They must be defined,measurable, with stated time lines. Our question to answer is: Where are we now, where are we going, and how are we going to get there? This is not rocket science. I need a car,I want a Lexus, I can afford a Toyota.How hard can it be?

• Upvote 1

As for looking forward: I'll say this......I'm not a huge, influential donor by any means. I'm probably right in line with a lot of people on here. I had been a season ticket holder and MG Club member for 13 years. Bought club seats 3 years ago. I did not renew my tickets this season and have been a distant observer. I was done last year. I did take my kid to the game yesterday just to enjoy the weather, get him out of the house and show him a football game. (He's 2.5)  I've traveled to away games, bowl games and spent a fair amount of time and money on the program and beat my head against the wall trying to sell this program to alumni who don't care.

Having said all that, if RV is still here, I'm not coming back. Period

The new president gives me a little hope and we'll see if he's legit or not.

BUT

I'm saying all that to say this: the days of "what can you do for your athletic department" are over for me. I won't be back until tangible results are shown. Prove there is real leadership in place and I'll get back involved.

Just wondering how many people have that same mind set now...

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4

Canales is in a near impossible situation.

Let's hope he plays players with next year in mind and helps players keep their grades up.

That would truly be taking one for the team on his part.

Even though their days are numbered here, these coaches are still playing for future jobs. This could be a very positive mark on their resume. Head coach canned and they all come together to lead the team to a winning record to end the year. Stakes are still high for the staff. None of them want an 0-12 record on their resume....

Edited by Got5onIt

Are you kidding me the coaches are all on the phones this morning lining up their job for next year, none of them will be here next year and they know it; that's how this works in the college football world. This team will not win another game this year...our talent is sub-par at best, receivers that can't catch, corners are incredibility slow and can't cover any receivers, quarterbacks can't throw a decent ball. OMG McCarney screwed this team up. Let's just start over, we have the very best "mid-major" stadium in the country, we sit right in the middle of the most fertile recruiting territory in America, UNT is not tough to recruit by any means! Let's get a "young" coach at a power 5 program, with spread offense experience and let's rebuild and kick some ass! 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Are you kidding me the coaches are all on the phones this morning lining up their job for next year, none of them will be here next year and they know it; that's how this works in the college football world. This team will not win another game this year...our talent is sub-par at best, receivers that can't catch, corners are incredibility slow and can't cover any receivers, quarterbacks can't throw a decent ball. OMG McCarney screwed this team up. Let's just start over, we have the very best "mid-major" stadium in the country, we sit right in the middle of the most fertile recruiting territory in America, UNT is not tough to recruit by any means! Let's get a "young" coach at a power 5 program, with spread offense experience and let's rebuild and kick some ass! 

This guy gets it.

• Upvote 3

This is exactly why I say that people saying we want a coach that knows to how to recruit Texas, knows Texas, from Texas is all garbage because there is a plethora of football players and talent in this state.  Anybody can recruit Texas if they have a game plan, good coach, program etc.  

• Upvote 2

One thing i noticed from all the player's twitter messages last night is how many of them said they were thankful to mac for giving them a chance that others wouldn't. I think, in the end, that is what did him in. like most people have said about our recruiting, we have too many guys on our team that no one else wanted. Mac is a nice guy, apparently too nice cause he gave a lot of guys a chance that probably shouldn't have had one on this level and he is paying for it with his job... though not having to work and getting paid isn't too bad knowing that he will have at least a positional coaching job next year in the P5. 

• Upvote 2

This is so bad...I have watched NT football since my brother played in the early sixties. Attended NT during Hayden Fry's tenure. Been a season ticket holder since DD's run. Here we are back to Zero again. Sick of it. If RV isn't replaced it will be the same scenario in 3-4 yrs. Surely someone will pull there headed out of their 4th point of contact and do a clean sweep.  

• Upvote 4

Vito's article said an interm will be determined sometime today. 

Are we jumping the gun assuming the dual interm head coach thing? Seriously, who does that?

I read on ponyfans that Utah did it in 2005 for the fiesta bowl but I agree this is not a good idea for more than one game. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know who or what can restore any confidence whatsoever in this young team. Although nothing in the game is predictable. Last night looked like the players already knew Mac's fate if they lost. Had their confidence in Mac been so hurt that they played like that intentionally? Have no idea how this co-interim coach thing will go especially if it's for the rest of the season. I wonder who Canales will start at QB Thursday? Will D. Smith get the nod or is Canales still Mac's bitch when it comes to who should start behind center? So many questions to answer on a short week. I am still contemplating going to the WKU game, only to see if this team can somehow find some motivation from this shakeup and give the Hilltoppers a run for their money in the first half.

• Upvote 1

There is more to  this than that, the coaches still need to show as much positive as they can to help their own futures. Also it was clear Mac lost the team yesterday, with Mac gone they can have some hope and we might see a bit of a rebound, very typical in mid-season coach terminations and maybe we knock off UTEP and SA. I hope we win two this year. 0-12 is a record I do not want to see. Yesterday was embarrassing enough record to set. 

There is more to  this than that, the coaches still need to show as much positive as they can to help their own futures. Also it was clear Mac lost the team yesterday, with Mac gone they can have some hope and we might see a bit of a rebound, very typical in mid-season coach terminations and maybe we knock off UTEP and SA. I hope we win two this year. 0-12 is a record I do not want to see. Yesterday was embarrassing enough record to set. 

Agree. To rephrase this in investing vernacular, we could very well have a "dead cat bounce".