Everyone reminisce on your hometowns here

MeanGreenTexan

Friends,

Since it has been such a wonderful week reading all about how McCarney and McNulty are "coming home".  I figure we should all reminisce on our hometowns when we go back. Please be sure to mention that dude who never left, like Ferentz @ Iowa, and how special it is to hear your H.S. fight song when played, along with any other pertinent facts that make your hometown one-of-a-kind.

For me, whether coming North on Coit from 635 or South on Coit from George Bush, or any exit between 635 & George Bush along 75 or DNT, I just get the feels when driving back into my old stomping grounds.  Lots of great memories there: family outings to our favorite pizzeria, Carmines, riding bikes on Meandering Way down to Fretz park for little league baseball games/practice, and the Cottonwood Arts Festival... Far North Dallas/Northwest Richardson is a special place.  If you're not from here, you wouldn't know.  I would mention how special it is to hear my High School fight song, but someone decided to change it to Michigan's fight song after I left... so that sucks.  And come to think of it, I don't know a single person who stayed around.  

Maybe I was the wrong person to start this kind of thread.  :/

• Upvote 4

It's funny, but my hometown is the same hometown of the other quarterback in this game, CJ Beathard. I'm originally from Franklin, Tennessee. When we moved there just before I was born in 1993, despite its proximity to Nashville, it was just a podunk little southern town. Since it has really become a lot more of a modern suburb, along with a lot of the area around Nashville. Great place. We moved when I was 7 so in reality I grew up more over here in Arlington, but if someone asks me my hometown, Franklin pops up in my head first.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Well, I am the guy that never left. I am born and raised in this beautiful town and I dont regret a minute of my life. From Sam Houston to McMath to Denton High to UNT. I have a homecoming everyday and I get to  enjoy watching this town grow structurally and economically

Oh.  This is an interesting perspective.  Can you please tell us what it's like when guys who also went to Denton H.S. come back, yet are opposing your school?  The school you both went to?   Is it like cats & dogs?

Santa Cruz, California.  Fiercely local, unfriendly to visitors from the central valley.  More hippies than you can shake a gas can at.

Absolutely devastated by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.  The entirety of downtown consisted of tents for the better part of a decade.

I took surfing for PE.  I spent one summer paying the mandatory price for being a teenager in such a great place by working as a ride operator at the boardwalk. 

• Upvote 1

Odessa is so flat and treeless that you can watch your own dog run away for two weeks.

I second that notion. Being from Midland its not much different. 

Oil, and lots of it, a severe disdain for Permian High School, and a love for all things Lee Rebel Football. We are, after all where Friday Night lights really began.

I have to admit, growing up watching Cedric Benson destroy everything in his path for three straight years was pretty fun, too bad he didn't pan out as well in his pro career.

We sucked when I played football there, and I got out as soon as I could. Too many brainwashed Texas Tech cronies for my liking, and nothing to do in your spare time other than drink beer and do dumb stuff

Santa Cruz, California.  Fiercely local, unfriendly to visitors from the central valley.  More hippies than you can shake a gas can at.

Absolutely devastated by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.  The entirety of downtown consisted of tents for the better part of a decade.

I took surfing for PE.  I spent one summer paying the mandatory price for being a teenager in such a great place by working as a ride operator at the boardwalk. 

I was in the area of the Loma Prieta quake as a child. Where we were lost a number of buildings, but being 6 and seeing how much that earthquake seemingly flattened the Bay Area was frightening. I remember being worried for hours about my mom as she'd often take the BART and her route took her under the bay to work every morning.

I was in the area of the Loma Prieta quake as a child. Where we were lost a number of buildings, but being 6 and seeing how much that earthquake seemingly flattened the Bay Area was frightening. I remember being worried for hours about my mom as she'd often take the BART and her route took her under the bay to work every morning.

I was 17, and believe me, it was no less frightening.

• Upvote 1

Grew up Argyle, TX, all the upscale houses and mansions, the small school (when I went there) lifestyle, I can't remember my HS fight song honestly, and I guess I can be the guy that never left, because I live less then a 15 minute drive away from Argyle.  My hometown is the place to be if you want to have nothing to do or your 2 favorite places to eat are Subway and Fuzzys.

I don't really have one.  At the age of 5, I had moved at least 5 times in 4 different states, and moved many, many times since.  If I had to pick one to call my hometown, I would pick Lombard, Illinois, since I spent more teenage years there than anywhere else.  Not much to reminisce about, though--it's all about drinking beer, da Bears, drinking more beer, the Blackhawks, drinking more beer, Cubs vs. Sox, drinking, drinking, drinking.

Oh.  This is an interesting perspective.  Can you please tell us what it's like when guys who also went to Denton H.S. come back, yet are opposing your school?  The school you both went to?   Is it like cats & dogs?

you mean UNT?

If they make the mistake of dissing my beloved Eagles, we will get into a verbal spat and if need be it might lead to a duel

grew up in corpus chrisiti, tx...flour bluff actually (NAS corpus chrisit)....started kindergarten there, graduated high school there with many of the same people i started kindergarten with...played tennis all through high and school and was in the band...hung out on the beach after school and enjoyed going off campus for lunch or just hanging out on the perimeter of school....much more freedom than schools now...as for the city, HATE THE PLACE!!!  haven't been back in over 10 years...never plan to go back....20 year hs reunion was last weekend, no desire to attend...corpus christi can rot!!!

denton is home...

Hate to nitpick but Denton isn't a suburb, by definition. Would you call Norman, OK a suburb? Or Boulder, CO? Etc.

Anyway--Houston. A dirty mess of dead strip malls, tract homes, huge swampy trees and parks mixed in with huge sprawling highways. But inside that jungle is the most cultured place in Texas, the only "big city" in Texas and some of the most beautiful stretches in the state. The food is absolutely impossible to beat, the diversity is incredible, and Houston is real 21st century America.

Warts and all, Houston will always be my hometown. Denton is my adopted home and where I go for a fun weekend away, though.

I don't remember my high school's fight song and tried to forget my time there. It was a weird mix of hillbillies and the upper class. Nobody cared about the football team. Clear Lake is a bad place. Had way more fun in Keller now that I look back, although I only lived there for a few years.

I couldn't tell you the difference between a city and suburb, but Denton is part of the DFW metroplex (though I know some Dentonites will never admit that).