Everyone reminisce on your hometowns here

MeanGreenTexan

Hate to nitpick but Denton isn't a suburb, by definition. Would you call Norman, OK a suburb? Or Boulder, CO? Etc.

Anyway--Houston. A dirty mess of dead strip malls, tract homes, huge swampy trees and parks mixed in with huge sprawling highways. But inside that jungle is the most cultured place in Texas, the only "big city" in Texas and some of the most beautiful stretches in the state. The food is absolutely impossible to beat, the diversity is incredible, and Houston is real 21st century America.

Warts and all, Houston will always be my hometown. Denton is my adopted home and where I go for a fun weekend away, though.

I don't remember my high school's fight song and tried to forget my time there. It was a weird mix of hillbillies and the upper class. Nobody cared about the football team. Clear Lake is a bad place. Had way more fun in Keller now that I look back, although I only lived there for a few years.

When most people think of Houston, the following thoughts come to mind: humidity, mosquitoes, dirty, fattest city in America, and swampy...

The most cultured big cities in the state are Ft. Worth and San Antonio...

• Downvote 1

When most people think of Houston, the following thoughts come to mind: humidity, mosquitoes, dirty, fattest city in America, and swampy...

The most cultured big cities in the state are Ft. Worth and San Antonio...

HEY!

I don't much appreciate you poo-poo'ing on Mr. Munthe's beautiful description of his hometown and some of the highlights therein.  
Would you say something like this to Dan McCarney or Andy McNulty while they daydream about better days in Iowa City?

Obviously, there are some great, hard-working people in Houston and if you're not from there, you wouldn't understand.

With all of the articles lately about McCarney, McNulty & Iowa City on here, I feel like I know less about Houston than I do about Iowa City.

Santa Cruz, California.  Fiercely local, unfriendly to visitors from the central valley.  More hippies than you can shake a gas can at.

Absolutely devastated by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.  The entirety of downtown consisted of tents for the better part of a decade.

I took surfing for PE.  I spent one summer paying the mandatory price for being a teenager in such a great place by working as a ride operator at the boardwalk. 

Spent a year in the year 90s in Aptos. Killed a few brain cells at the Catalyst. 

Ok, more than a few. 

Good lord!  A dedicated thread about our old home town.  Really?  Two games into the season.  Must be that North Texas football sucks again.

Me?  From the "The City That Oils The World", Port Arthur, Texas.  City where Gulf Oil and Texaco started after the Spindletop oil well blew in, and had their largest refineries, with Magnolia Refining(Mobil Oil) in Beaumont.  Dirty, smelly, blue collar area, but provided for many families.

Now live in Horseshoe Bay.  Way too close to Austin!

• Upvote 1

Jefferson, Texas is a small town in East Texas. It is still stuck in the 1950s. If you think of Mayberry, that is Jefferson. The town is still pretty segregated and there are plantation replicas. I got out as soon as I could. 

As a native of Longview I can attest to that. The middle-to-upper class women all speak with a deep south accent. True story. One of my mother's friends in Longview was in the daughters of the confederacy....and she really was a daughter. Her daddy (a Captain in the Confederate Army) was in his mid-to-late 60's when she was born.

And then my family moved to Decatur and the women all talked more like Calamity Jane.

• Upvote 1

You must not get out much. But that's cool. San Francisco isn't you know like a cultural or arty mecca at all.

Amusing.  I was just making an observation, but go ahead and -1 me.  I was in San Francisco a couple of months ago.  Great place.  But it isn't as if their tourism bureau advertises, "Come for all the gays!"

• Upvote 2

I have 2 home towns.

I was born in Bonham, TX, and I have many aunts, uncles, cousins still in the Bonham area. Worked on the family farm during the summers.

Grew up in Oak Cliff. I went to South Oak High School , graduated in 1967.

Many wonderful memories, but time changes everything.

I would not trade any of this time for any thing in the world!

• Upvote 1

Santa Anna , TX. Former home of the world.s fastest man Joe Bailey Cheaney, birthplace of Bobby Layne and home of the Santa Anna Mountains and the Santa Anna Mountaineers . Farming, oil, and a few downtown merchants, when I was in high school the major employer was the Santana Tile Co. The high school has dropped down to six man football and a school pop. of about 40 .Growing up , you could have a great date for a dollar. Gas 12 cents , drive in tickets at Cole-Anna drive in .25 cents popcorn 5 cents. Also my first pizza was purchased at the Cole-Anna .25 cents. We built a new football stadium when I was a junior, spend half of our time during two-a-days picking up rocks from the new playing field. Water was a no-no during practice, and since it was during the terrible drought of the 50's , water was very precious. We hauled water for our home in the back of a pickup in 55 gal. barrels, we got the water from the cotton gin. The good old days ?

• Upvote 2