JT Barrett

GMG24

Why in the Hell didn't he come here? Doesn't he know he could lead us to a C-USA championship, waaaaa wonder if he could pick up our offense? Give me a break. Mac better win this year, I find it VERY hard to believe Smith isn't clearly the best QB on our roster. 

• Upvote 5

Why in the Hell didn't he come here? Doesn't he know he could lead us to a C-USA championship, waaaaa wonder if he could pick up our offense? Give me a break. Mac better win this year, I find it VERY hard to believe Smith isn't clearly the best QB on our roster. 

Damarcus Smith IS the best QB on this roster and that's not an opinion. I hope Mac knows what he's doing, but history says he kind of doesn't regarding QB play, development, finding talent, recruiting and offensive philosophy in general. I hope this all works out but I have 0 confidence in the direction of this ship until I see results on the field. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Has anyone on here seen our quarterbacks perform during practice or the scrimmages?

yes, sat 4 rows up during spring scrimmage and saw more of Mcnulty than I ever care to see again. He has no arm strength, I don't care what tempo we run, he does not have the ability needed to be a D1 QB. I hope he proves me wrong, but it's obvious who has the most talent, coaches get paid a lot of money to get that talent to produce. (I am a coach, I feel comfortable saying that about coaches and talent)

• Upvote 5

Guess I should have been more clear.  Has anyone seen our QB's since practice started  in August with all of our QB's on campus?

Yes. He looked pretty good and better than our other options last week, That is the truth. Now that does not mean gameday he is the best. We all know that games and practice are two different things. I can see why the team is going with him this year. He looks better than everyone else and has the respect of his team mates. 

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 2

Guess I should have been more clear.  Has anyone seen our QB's since practice started  in August with all of our QB's on campus?

unless McNulty grew a new right arm, his arm strength ain't improved.

We all hope for the best for McNulty and the Mean Green, but I see a 12-21, 150 yd., 1 TD, 1 INT performance at SMU. Hope I'm really really wrong.

• Upvote 3

yes, sat 4 rows up during spring scrimmage and saw more of Mcnulty than I ever care to see again. He has no arm strength, I don't care what tempo we run, he does not have the ability needed to be a D1 QB. I hope he proves me wrong, but it's obvious who has the most talent, coaches get paid a lot of money to get that talent to produce. (I am a coach, I feel comfortable saying that about coaches and talent)

He performed better than Smith in the spring, did he not?

• Upvote 1

He performed better than Smith in the spring, did he not?

yeah let's bust out technicalities and excuses, do you really believe Mcnulty is our best QB? If so our conversation is done. Can he lead, sure. If our defense and special teams can play like 2013 I'll take a DT like senior season and a bowl win. I just don't see it happening with Mini. I'll be at SMU, screaming just as loud as the next guy. Book it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

yeah let's bust out technicalities and excuses, do you really believe Mcnulty is our best QB? If so our conversation is done. Can he lead, sure. If our defense and special teams can play like 2013 I'll take a DT like senior season and a bowl win. I just don't see it happening with Mini. I'll be at SMU, screaming just as loud as the next guy. Book it.

I just watch all them scrimage on last Thursday and Lil Mac was the best QB there. He threw better and made better choices with the ball. He is ahead of them for the right reasons. 

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 4

I just watch all them scrimage on last Thursday and Lil Mac was the best QB there. He threw better and made better choices with the ball. He is ahead of them for the right reasons. 

Thanks.  That is what I was curious about, because in the few videos provided it looked like Smith has the most raw talent.  It is tough when a young man has only participated in 3 weeks worth of practice.  If he continues to work hard he could get there, but he hurt himself by not being eligible for Spring practice.

• Upvote 1

At  last night's coaches show Mac said MiniMac #1 and Josh Greer #2  with DaMarcus Smith a distant third w/o a grasp of the offense. Hope he is not another Dajon or Berglund all potential but nothing between the ears!

I must have missed that part.  I only heard Mac mention the 1, 2, 3 ranking, but not the 'distant 3rd w/o a grasp of the offense' part.  Maybe you embellished a bit?

I have no doubt that Smith has the stronger arm.  However, playing QB at the D1 level is about more than who has the strongest arm.  I really don't see why that concept is so hard  to grasp, but clearly it is.  Hopefully, Smith can continue to learn and show he is capable of running the offense and will be ready if his name is called.

• Upvote 3

unless McNulty grew a new right arm, his arm strength ain't improved.

We all hope for the best for McNulty and the Mean Green, but I see a 12-21, 150 yd., 1 TD, 1 INT performance at SMU. Hope I'm really really wrong.

Yes. We get your point. Now, maybe you can wait until we've had a couple of games before you raise it again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At  last night's coaches show Mac said MiniMac #1 and Josh Greer #2  with DaMarcus Smith a distant third w/o a grasp of the offense. Hope he is not another Dajon or Berglund all potential but nothing between the ears!

I did not hear him say anything besides 1-2-3.  The distant third w/o a grasp seems to be something you added?

• Upvote 3

A strong arm is ideal but not the single determinant of a good QB.  We already know that McNulty has capped upside.  With that said he will be playing as a senior.  Don't discount the importance of this as he is a man out there now.  A lot can change over 4-5 years.  Lets all hope and pray for a breakout year for McNulty.

• Upvote 3

I have never coached a college football team.  Or a high school team or a jr. high team.  I have coached a pee wee team.  But I do know a bit about business.  And although I don't know about the business of coaching, I think a coach that knows his business wants to put the best players on the field if not to win for the "glory of UNT", then to keep himself employed.  Or, to make himself attractive for the next coaching opportunity that comes along.  Coach MaC has coached in the highest levels of college coaching and I have to think he knows his job.  Everybody makes mistakes and Coach MaC mistakes are witnessed by 25,000 critics and video recording.  I would hate to think that my career was based on the ability of a 18 to 21 year old to understand and execute instructions.  But that's just me. 

Beat Southern Meth

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

It is important to know the offense and to have good chemistry with your guys and to be a smart and not turn the ball over but if you cant throw a ball on the money for a deep post or go route then the defense will press the line of scrimmage and leave those outside receivers on an island. More guys in the box will not be good for our run game or intermediate passing game.

You can have minor success with nickel and diming it down the field but sooner or later you have to go deep.

You guys say that Smith hasn't had time to learn the offense in three weeks but also profess that McNulty has somehow gotten much better in the 3 weeks of fall camp. This is a redshirt senior that has the same offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach he has had his entire career. This is the same quarterback we were disappointed by in the spring game. How can you believe that after 4 seasons of not being a D1 quarterback that the light somehow flipped on in the last 3 weeks?

609299a1128b20719e1ce667a0b10bd8bd112671

• Upvote 2

You guys say that Smith hasn't had time to learn the offense in three weeks but also profess that McNulty has somehow gotten much better in the 3 weeks of fall camp. This is a redshirt senior that has the same offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach he has had his entire career. This is the same quarterback we were disappointed by in the spring game. How can you believe that after 4 seasons of not being a D1 quarterback that the light somehow flipped on in the last 3 weeks?

609299a1128b20719e1ce667a0b10bd8bd112671

^^This.... Pure Greatness of Zoolander, HAHA

zoolander animated GIF

• Upvote 1

I must have missed that part.  I only heard Mac mention the 1, 2, 3 ranking, but not the 'distant 3rd w/o a grasp of the offense' part.  Maybe you embellished a bit?

I have no doubt that Smith has the stronger arm.  However, playing QB at the D1 level is about more than who has the strongest arm.  I really don't see why that concept is so hard  to grasp, but clearly it is.  Hopefully, Smith can continue to learn and show he is capable of running the offense and will be ready if his name is called.

It doesn't matter at UNT you are right, we just run the ball. But if we ever want to become relevant you must have a QB who has arm strength.  That concept seems to be hard to grasp as well. 

I have never coached a college football team.  Or a high school team or a jr. high team.  I have coached a pee wee team.  But I do know a bit about business.  And although I don't know about the business of coaching, I think a coach that knows his business wants to put the best players on the field if not to win for the "glory of UNT", then to keep himself employed.  Or, to make himself attractive for the next coaching opportunity that comes along.  Coach MaC has coached in the highest levels of college coaching and I have to think he knows his job.  Everybody makes mistakes and Coach MaC mistakes are witnessed by 25,000 critics and video recording.  I would hate to think that my career was based on the ability of a 18 to 21 year old to understand and execute instructions.  But that's just me. 

Beat Southern Meth

GO MEAN GREEN

It is not a good feeling I can promise you that, I have not been a college coach either but know plenty.  There is a ton of stress on the job, as well as high school coaching, the problem for me is, I don't understand how you can have two guys clearly as talented as Dajon, now Smith, and you can't dumb your offense down enough that they can figure it out.  You think all those SEC QB's are the brightest players on the field? Maybe, but theres got to be a few in there who have 1 read then run.  I support Coach Mac, I just hope our constant saying guys can't grasp the offense doesn't cost us a chance to capitalize on a decent season.  

• Upvote 2