DRC Tuesday story: McCarney, UNT players miffed at low projections

Brett Vito

You know how you learn things like the quadratic equation in high school and you apply that formula to everything you encounter for the duration of your high school career?

I'm becoming convinced that there is a coachspeak textbook out there with verbal formulas that coaches apply for the duration of their careers.

We are all undefeated this time of year, everyone knows that and is optimistic

In the face of adversity and tough times, refuse to be discouraged or distracted by it. There is all this adversity with this schedule and people throwing dirt on top of us. Just refuse to be discouraged or distracted by it.

I mean, honestly, I don't know what else he's supposed to say, and I'm ecstatic to see exactly zero mentions of his "National Championship in Florida." 

But life and the performance of Mac's teams, particularly in a road heavy schedule, have hardened me to lower expectations and believe nothing spoken -- only results shown.

So maybe I should move to Missouri, Dan, because I presently reside in the state of "Show me." 

• Upvote 4

It's us against the world and we have to circle the wagons.

No one outside of this team believes in us.

No one knows how hard we worked this summer and no one is working harder right now. Steel is hardened by heat and its hot out here now and we've got some steel in us.

That should hold us over until Mac's next presser.

• Upvote 7

Talk is in fact cheap, like 90 said. I believe we will have a surprisingly good year if certain should be starters start from day 1. The next 2 weeks will be intetesting to keep an eye on.

I  would love to interview the entire every WR/TE one-on-one on September 1st to get their take. If they answer questions how I think they would answer them then Dan Mccarney is going to lose the trust of his team if he rolls AM out there on September 12th. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I  would love to interview the entire every WR/TE one-on-one on September 1st to get their take. If they answer questions how I think they would answer them then Dan Mccarney is going to lose the trust of his team if he rolls AM out there on September 12th. 

Wasn't Carlos Harris' nickname for Dajon "Football Jesus?"  Didn't seem to matter much what our top WR thought....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm glad he is mad and I have no doubt that he will motivate his team properly...but that offense, especially at QB, needs major help. You cannot throw the ball downfield with McNulty. And you cannot hand off every down and expect to compete with anybody decent, either. That FIU game last year at home showed the worst offense I had seen since the Dickey Days. That approach might beat the FIUs of the world, but the Rice's and Marshall's of the world, much less Iowa and Tennessee, are going to love the rest their starters will get when they play us if we cannot move the ball downfield with a more balanced attack that can have a QB actually throw downfield accurately past the first down marker.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's us against those MF'ers and we have to circle the wagons.

No MF'er outside of this team believes in us.

No one knows how hard we worked this summer and none of those MF'ers are working harder right now. Steel is hardened by heat and its hot out here now and we've got some steel in us.

That should hold us over until Mac's next presser.

Fixed to show the ONLY difference between Dickey speak and Mac speak (well, other than Dickey speak following a 4 year conference title run).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would appreciate you not changing my quotes to make your point.  If you think a fifth year coach is burdened by program history, a history he should have been well aware of, that fine; but that is certainly not my view.   

Uh. Ok. 

First time on the internet?

But I will leave your quotes alone from now on as to not upset you.

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure a certain quote by Mac is in this write up by Brett or will be in today's write up. But, there is a very questionable quote by Mac...

Referring to D Smith... "We wanted him to come in here and compete." 

I may or may not be looking into this too much, but it sounds like Smith is already semi written off before he ever had a chance to showcase himself. 

• Downvote 4

Yes please. How can we help make this happen?

I would appreciate you not changing my quotes to make your point.  If you think a fifth year coach is burdened by program history, a history he should have been well aware of, that fine; but that is certainly not my view.   

I don't think the year of their tenure here has anything to do with how burdened they are by our program history. Unless it's just more burdensome and/or apparent when they have limited success. They all should have known up front.

Bob Tyler was the first coach that publicly articulated the situation. He said something to the affect "North Texas has a good academic reputation, a large student body and alumni base, and (at the time) one of the best bands in the northern hemisphere. I can't understand why they don't show up in bigger numbers to their football games". After he was fired and Corkey Nelson was subsequently hired I remember my first thought "well, since Corkey Nelson spent some time as an assistant under Rod Rust, he certainly should know what he's really getting himself into"  And as it turned out, he never complained about his situation, and was the first coach ever to sell out Fouts field in it's original capacity....twice. 

I attribute a good bit of that to his having the good sense to hire a good promotions person. 

I'm not sure any of the subsequent coaching hires really had any idea about the ongoing challenges of being the head football coach at North Texas.  

To know what he was really getting into, all Dan McCarney had to do was call three former coaches, Hayden Fry, Corkey Nelson, and Darrell Dickey. I'm not sure if he would have gotten any useful information from TD.

I don't think the year of their tenure here has anything to do with how burdened they are by our program history. Unless it's just more burdensome and/or apparent when they have limited success. They all should have known up front.

Bob Tyler was the first coach that publicly articulated the situation. He said something to the affect "North Texas has a good academic reputation, a large student body and alumni base, and (at the time) one of the best bands in the northern hemisphere. I can't understand why they don't show up in bigger numbers to their football games". After he was fired and Corkey Nelson was subsequently hired I remember my first thought "well, since Corkey Nelson spent some time as an assistant under Rod Rust, he certainly should know what he's really getting himself into"  And as it turned out, he never complained about his situation, and was the first coach ever to sell out Fouts field in it's original capacity....twice. 

I attribute a good bit of that to his having the good sense to hire a good promotions person. 

I'm not sure any of the subsequent coaching hires really had any idea about the ongoing challenges of being the head football coach at North Texas.  

To know what he was really getting into, all Dan McCarney had to do was call three former coaches, Hayden Fry, Corkey Nelson, and Darrell Dickey. I'm not sure if he would have gotten any useful information from TD.

I agree I don't think McCarney had any idea what he was getting into.  However, I think McCarney and others always think that they can turn around any situation.  If you remember early McCarney, he was confident he was going to quickly turn things around and lamented how bad the talent was he inherited was and how bad the recruiting had been.  Yet to this point his only good season was almost entirely done with that poor talent and he has not shown any substantial recruiting gains. 

I really think McCarney thought he was going to "wow" recruits with his enthusiasm and big time experience.  It certainly didn't happen; NT didn't even get the normal bump from a new head coach hire.  

I think recruiting is slowly improving and hopefully that will escalate.   I just don't buy excuses from a fifth year coach about how difficult it is at NT.  Hell, Fry didn't have a full roster of coaches or players because of budget concerns for most of his NT tenure.  

Instead of hearing about poor tradition, support, etc.  How about lauding the positives of NT.  There may be better college towns than Denton, but overall it should be a big plus.  I think most lists and polls are silly, but Denton keeps getting high praise.  There are more good high school players in the metromess than anywhere.   NT has a competitive budget and facilities that should bring envy from most g5 schools.   The media base and expanding surrounding area could not get much better. 

Its not that McCarney doesn't sell the program.  I just think he would do a better job of it, without the excuses.   

• Upvote 2