Middle Tennessee State (2/14/15)

CMJ

The guys are so used to losing and being unappreciated they simply ran off the court and didn't stay for the alma mater. It was not a show of disrespect as much as they disn't realize how much we wanted to celebrate them. Way to go guys. A Valentine's miracle! Always good to beat MTSU. Their fans in the stands were bumping their gums making noise all game long then looked devastated at the end wondering how they lost that game. I was Mean Green bliss! GMG

• Upvote 1

Not a Benford advocate, but he out coached MTSU and Kermit in the second half. He quit switching D's and stuck with their bread and butter zone. He got his team to play with effort in the second half after playing lazy in the 1st. His offense was shaky, but they've simplified it by running more flex sets instead of the motion. I would like to see these guys get better spacing, but when your running those tight flex sets its hard.

This team is going to win bc of its defense. They've got to get those steals and turnovers that equate to easy baskets. We won't beat people bc of our half court O just not going to happen. Defense, hustle, and grit is the key for this team.

I concur.

• Upvote 1

The more that I think about it 90, the kids don't care that you are glad for them that they won. Why, because your fair weather ass is not in the building to watch. If you cared about the kids, you would come to the games.

Kids don't like to lose. I don't want them to lose. They will lose more than they win with the current coach in place. The change should have happened 2 years ago, but UNT is either too cheap or your best friend too prideful to admit a mistake.

I'll be back when changes are made, not before. But by all means, keep holier than thouing people. That will certainly change the perception that RV keeps all big donors very close and very manipulated through personal relationships.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

There is so much hatred going on these days. There are some posters on here (and I'm not even including 90 on this list) who seem to dedicate their every waking hour to find fault with every action, every aspect of being, of UNT, the UNT athletic department, its employees, its coaches, its teams, facilities, logos, shade of green, scheduling, and dispersal method of in-game beer. It reminds me a lot of a failed marriage where the parties involved become psychologically incapable of seeing any good whatsoever in the other.

I'm definitely not in the state of mind of posters I just mentioned. I have one big criticism of RV, and it's not related to anything ever mentioned on this board. I also wouldn't think it necessary or right to post it in a public forum, and I certainly am not going to let it keep me up at night posting angry things on a semi-anonymous interwebs forum traversed by avatars setting in front of real people that I actually know in the real world.

As for the state of the basketball program, I know the last game I went to was against UAB, and I think it was last year. UNT won the game, which I didn't expect. But if I'm being completely honest, I was bored out of my skull that night. I can't put my finger on it, but the whole experience was bland, flat, not entertaining. It just wasn't something that I could see myself repeatedly driving up to Denton for in favor of other Saturday night options.

So I don't skip basketball because I'm protesting the man in the suit playing hockey lines on a basketball court. I skip it because it just isn't doing anything for me. I wish I could articulate why that is, but since I don't see the root of it in my undying hatred for everything related to my university, I'm incapable of finding the words.

• Upvote 1

You really have no idea what you are talking about here. You should show up some time and see the kind of program that is being built. Combs, one of the most talented players we have had in a long time. Harris, fastest player we have had in a while, tenacious defender. Reese a real big time point guard.

I don't need to be manipulated as you say by my "best friend". Because i am watching the growth here in person. The team took a huge step last night. Deandre controlled his emotions in a spot that 1 month ago he would at a minimum get a technical and possibly get thrown out. For some, all of this growth and improvement is a nightmare, when the time comes, i will eat crow if i need to. The talent on this team is miles ahead of three years ago.

Can you admit you are wrong?

Kids don't like to lose. I don't want them to lose. They will lose more than they win with the current coach in place. The change should have happened 2 years ago, but UNT is either too cheap or your best friend too prideful to admit a mistake.

I'll be back when changes are made, not before. But by all means, keep holier than thouing people. That will certainly change the perception that RV keeps all big donors very close and very manipulated through personal relationships.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You really have no idea what you are talking about here. You should show up some time and see the kind of program that is being built. Combs, one of the most talented players we have had in a long time. Harris, fastest player we have had in a while, tenacious defender. Reese a real big time point guard.

I don't need to be manipulated as you say by my "best friend". Because i am watching the growth here in person. The team took a huge step last night. Deandre controlled his emotions in a spot that 1 month ago he would at a minimum get a technical and possibly get thrown out. For some, all of this growth and improvement is a nightmare, when the time comes, i will eat crow if i need to. The talent on this team is miles ahead of three years ago.

I'd love to admit I was wrong if we win 20 games next year.

The problem you will not address is how this program was deconstructed over the last 2 years. How this program was poised to draw over 5k a night and become a mid-major power in 2012, only to be derailed by a terrible hire of a coach that has taken at least 2 years to learn how to be a head coach, how the players like JW were robbed of a chance at success because of a terrible hire and a refusal to immediately fix a problem.

But I would be very happy IF we won 20 games next year and actually made the post season. And I am glad that one of Benford's 12 plus high school recruits finally actually made it to UNT and appears to be a very good player. I hope for his sake he doesn't endure 4 years of .500 or less basketball.

I don't think this happens next year and think you look at EVERYTHING through those rosey glasses given to you by a certain friend.

But yes, if we win 20 next year, I'll admit I was wrong. Much like you admitted you were wrong when that 5 home game schedule was announced for football.

Oh, wait...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

The lack of consistency is the real concern in my opinion. If we can go on the road and take care of business against two Florida teams that I think most here would say we should beat if we play to our potential, that will definitely bode well for our chances to make a run for a decent seed in the tourney and then the tourney itself.

And maybe even some big crowds for Charlotte and ODU at the Pit.

We have played well asof late. I will say that it's concerning that we cannot build up a double digit lead and hold it. That's is something I would like to see. We have played with toughness and grit, but we have not won many games by double digits.if this can change we will start getting more attention. I Agree with fly on a wall. He seems like a real fan and would be fun to watch a basketball game with him. Combs will go down as one of the best players to ever suit up for the mean green. He works hard on and off the court and seems likes stand up young man. He is going to be a great mentor in the future for this program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I follow BYU hoops and they are playing some of their strongest ball at the right time. They have a stud named Haws and all they hope is to be playing solid ball come tourney time. If they can upset gonzaga in Vegas their 20 wins and that one in particular could get them in. We need to make the tourney continue playing well make a stunning run and go. Rooting for the Mean Green to take us on a wild fun ride! GMG

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Seems like these older players are tired of losing. We could see something special if they sweep the Floridas. I will be all on the bandwagon if we can take care of business down there.

I'm definitely cautiously optimistic. I thank Solomon Bozeman for my cautiousness with getting my hopes up.

• Upvote 1

Miles ahead, huh? This is just plain silly. No way you really think this, right?

Or, is this yet another character shot at TM or CJ or AW or some other departed player off of a team that was 1 min away from a conf championship/NCAA birth the year prior. If so, it's pretty congruent with what UNT90 is claiming about the big money donors buying what RV/Benford sells...

The team is talented, sure! But leave the BS out. & don't mention Reese. Homeboy hasn't played a game here yet.

Nice win for the fellas. Keep some momentum, make some noise in the tourney, keep it going... I'm not going to root for failure because I despise the coach.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

We all know Mitchel was talented but as many people have said Combs gives more on the floor and is an all around better player. He gets it down in the classroom and on the court. A special talent! TJ is also just as good asAlzee if he can stay healthy. jordan is better than he was his sophmore year. We are definitely missing CJ! but hopefully next year we solve our point guard problems. If CJ stayed we would for sure be a much better team. This team has a lot of talent but it's very raw. Next year if TJ decides to play we could see a team that's even better than this years squad. Losing Jordan will be huge though.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

No way in hell is this team more talented than three years ago.

They are playing better than that team though. That was such a massive face plant, I still can't get over it.

We had four players of any significance that year a ton of busts and injuries. Walton was out and our freshman were terrible. Holman and CJ were injured but for the minutes and games played they produced pretty well. We had Jordan, Tony, Roger, and Alzee and that's it.

Senior Jordan is greater than Sophmore Jordan

Combs is a better college player than Mitchell (not hard for anyone who sits around us at the games to see)

Collin and Roger would be pretty even to me though Roger left it all on the floor so I could give the edge to Roger.

Alzee is more consistent than Mo, TJ, and Deandure but over all TJ and Deandre are better all around players when they have it together and are healthy.

If this team played the team from 2012 on their best day it would be close but I would give the 2014 team the slight advantage. If it was a game where Patton, CJ! and Holman were injured then 2014 wins all day. This team is deep and has very good players.

I think a lot of people over look our players this year. Last Year CJ was asked who is the best player on the team and guess who it was? Not Alzee, not jordan.... TJ Taylor. This year Jordan is defiantly the man, but guys like TJ and Deandre are underated.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

The lack of consistency is the real concern in my opinion. If we can go on the road and take care of business against two Florida teams that I think most here would say we should beat if we play to our potential, that will definitely bode well for our chances to make a run for a decent seed in the tourney and then the tourney itself.

And maybe even some big crowds for Charlotte and ODU at the Pit.

The seed might not matter, since we seem to play good teams better anyway. So we might be better off getting a horrible seed, since we tend to play to the level of our opponents. If that trend continues, then hopefully we'll only play really good teams in the tourney, since that would mean the guys would keep playing "up" instead of "down"!