Middle Tennessee State (2/14/15)

CMJ

I am just telling you what Joe Lunardi has scripted right now. And the dude is deadly accurate in his tourney predictions.

His last Bracketology was posted Feb 12th before ODU lost two in a row. They were also on his next four out and listed as 12 seed in a play in game. So its safe to say in his next Bracketology ODU wont be in the big dance.

• Upvote 1

ODU not going anywhere.

Had a nice start of the year, but they're meddling in conference play, and this isn't a strong conference. Watch UTEP though, they're getting hot at the right time. I could see UTEP & LATech get in if both reach the CUSA tourney final.

UTEP could sneak in they have a decent RPI and if they win out I could see them being in the discussion absolutely.

I think what hurts them is CUSA being around the 17th best conference in bball right now.

In case you're wondering UNT has 0.2% chance of winning CUSA and making the tourney.Last week it 0.1%. Moving on up. Also que up the "So your saying there is a chance meme's.

ODU not going anywhere.

Had a nice start of the year, but they're meddling in conference play, and this isn't a strong conference. Watch UTEP though, they're getting hot at the right time. I could see UTEP & LATech get in if both reach the CUSA tourney final.

Interesting take here from ESPN Jeff Goodman:

The C-USA title game will be as intriguing as just about any because it will likely feature Louisiana Tech and UTEP. Both of these teams were supposed to be at-large candidates, but that isn’t the case, and each will have to win the league tourney to get into the NCAA tournament. Both teams -- which have high-level coaches and players -- are more than capable of pulling off an upset in the NCAAs.

Hadn't kept up enough to see ODU had lost 2 conference games in a row and were just 7-5 in conference.

This hurts any chance of getting 2 teams in.

ODU still has an RPI of 53, but needs a late push and then a conference tourney run at least to the semis to have any shot.

UTEP is at 63 and similarly needs a strong run through the rest of conference play and advancement AT LEAST to the semis of conference tourney to even be considered for an at large.

La. Tech is at 72 and needs the same type run, but needs to make it all the way to the championship game before losing if they want an at large.

WKU is 107 and needs to win the tourney to get in, plain and simple.

So basically, La. Tech, ODU, or UTEP needs to get hot down the stretch. The good news is they all have a strong basketball rep, which will figure in, no matter what the "experts" say.

UTEP has by far the easiest schedule remaining and is already on a conference win streak. The only "tough" conference game they have left is at La. Tech. They play UNT, UTSA, and Rice at home, with the only other road game being at S. Miss.

Best case scenerio for the conference would probably be UTEP winning out before losing in the conference championship game. I think they are a lock in that scenerio.

It should be interesting.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

What if North Texas wins the tournament? It will be a basically neutral site for the conference tournament...anything can happen, although I imagine the CUSA office will take care of their own--UTEP and La Tech.

• Upvote 1

I haven't really thought about it recently, but I used to be very mindful about mid-major leagues with one team that was head-and-shoulders above the rest, regarding media hype and overall program quality. I remember watching Memphis be CUSA darlings for years, questioning if their media attention was really good or bad for the league.

While others thought the media attention elevated the overall CUSA perception, I sometimes thought it had gotten to a point where the media/committee was even quicker to dismiss everyone else; happy to forget teams other than Memphis.