Ok I'm seriously torn

emmitt01

We kick off at 2:30. And, under normal circumstances I would never willingly miss a home game. But the truth is Mac has left me felling pretty numb about NT football. Not happy, not pissed, just numb. I suffered through the lean Dickey years. I showed up religiously through the worst college coach in history in Dodge. Through all of it I never got the impression that our coaches were stubbornly trying to force a square peg (antiquated system) into a round hole or that they were purposefully keeping the most talented options on the bench.

Sooo, with Guyer playing Southlake at 11am, followed by a string of games culminating in Allen vs Desoto at 8p, I'm contemplating watching meaningful football all day where heart can't get broken for three straight hours.

Make no mistake, this is NOT about bailing on my school when times are lean. It's not about a lack of respect for the seniors who have given four years to our school. I am just spent when it comes to banging my head against that wall.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

Show up for the seniors. They aren't contractors, they are alumni. The coaches, AD staff, etc will come and go, but the seniors will always be alumni.

This.

And from what I heard about turnout at the recent lettermen golf tournament, we need all the letterman support we can get...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We kick off at 2:30. And, under normal circumstances I would never willingly miss a home game. But the truth is Mac has left me felling pretty numb about NT football. Not happy, not pissed, just numb. I suffered through the lean Dickey years. I showed up religiously through the worst college coach in history in Dodge. Through all of it I never got the impression that our coaches were stubbornly trying to force a square peg (antiquated system) into a round hole or that they were purposefully keeping the most talented options on the bench.

Sooo, with Guyer playing Southlake at 11am, followed by a string of games culminating in Allen vs Desoto at 8p, I'm contemplating watching meaningful football all day where heart can't get broken for three straight hours.

Make no mistake, this is NOT about bailing on my school when times are lean. It's not about a lack of respect for the seniors who have given four years to our school. I am just spent when it comes to banging my head against that wall.

My feelings exactly. It happened in basketball and it's happening in football. It's the worst.

• Upvote 4

What you will find yourself doing is looking at at several very talented players on all of those teams who have already committed to other schools. And at the end of the evening you'll go home even more depressed because you know that none of those guys would even consider NT. OR you'll spot some great "under the radar" potential players that you know the NT coaching staff will miss....no matter how much someone tries to clue them in.

And for me it would be sitting amongst a large group of fans who have brought their high energy, devotion, and sense of community to a neutral site. And all of the bands there will be promoting spirit and traditions first and doing their own thing for contests second.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

You're a great asset to the program. As are most people on this board. I wouldn't feel bad at all for not wanting to sit in the rain and watch what is essentially a meaningless game between two bad teams.

I had every intention of going to the UTSA game, as we'll be doing Thanksgiving in the Hill Country. But for me, the opportunity cost of not making the game is greater than any joy I'll derive making the trip down to SA to watch two bad teams play football. Simply, I'd rather spend time with family. And so that is my choice. I'll watch it on TV. If that make me a fair weather fan, I can live with that.

You're a great asset to the program. As are most people on this board. I wouldn't feel bad at all for not wanting to sit in the rain and watch what is essentially a meaningless game between two bad teams.

I had every intention of going to the UTSA game, as we'll be doing Thanksgiving in the Hill Country. But for me, the opportunity cost of not making the game is greater than any joy I'll derive making the trip down to SA to watch two bad teams play football. Simply, I'd rather spend time with family. And so that is my choice. I'll watch it on TV. If that make me a fair weather fan, I can live with that.

I'd skip my child's birthday for some time in the Hill Country.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually torn about buying season tickets again. Was the first year to do so. I budget my entertainment $$$ as many of us do and after this season, I have to question where my $700 goes next year for sports. This up and down (mostly down) is a beating.

I hear that. I've decided I am going to (even though we live almost 300 miles away). But it isn't a decision I'm making based on what the season will bring, as UNT football has never really at any time proven they are a program that is wholly committed to winning, so it would be hard for me to baseit on any optimism in that department. It's just a decision to support the program and finally having the means to do so (the latter being the most significant factor).

That probably came off more negatively than I intended. Just meant it's not like we support a program that has shown it expects to win 10+ games every season. I hope that changes. And so I'll again buy tickets.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3

Got the lady friend coming in from Austin this weekend. I want to show her Denton and UNT football so bad but you know what they say about first impressions.......between god awful football and the incoming rain...... I just can't see myself bringing her up.

Given she took a liking to you I would expect her to be pretty understanding.