How does this 2017 UNT team compare to the 2013 team?

Harry

I know it's still early yet but it's interesting to compare these two squads.

Derek Thompson or Mason Fine?

brandin Byrd or Jeff Wilson

darnell Harris or Jalen Guyton?

Zach Orr or Josh Wheeler?

Marcus Trice or Khari Muhammed?

Danny Mac vs Littrell?

I think the O-line is the big difference.  I think the line in '13 was much better.  Fine is getting away with throwing off his back foot quite a bit.  He did it last year, but it seems our receivers are getting better separation and have the ability to get to some of those throws this year.

• Upvote 4

Hell, this Ol' Ag is even giddy about this team. I am partial to the '13 team but I will say this '17 is good and fun to watch.  I would hesitate to compare and to pick who is better.  They two totally different teams. 

Chico's offense could do this except it was never allowed to.  If you doubt that, go watch Denison High school. DT would be putting up numbers like this in Harrell's offense too.  

Wilson and Byrd are very different style of RBs. I's take both is a heart beat.

The defenses are totally different in their schemes.  You really cannot compare them.   In '13 the d-line was Orr's security blanket and not allowed to do what this years D-line does.   '17 the d-line's ears are pinned back every play.  Both ran/run their schemes very good.

The UTSA game will be very good!  They have very good WR's and a QB that can get them the ball.   D backfield will certainly be tested.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

Derek Thompson or Mason Fine?

brandin Byrd or Jeff Wilson

darnell Harris or Jalen Guyton?

Zach Orr or Josh Wheeler?

Marcus Trice or Khari Muhammed?

Danny Mac vs Littrell?

1.  Give me 2013 Senior Derek Thompson.  Great decision-maker.  Fine is doing well, but the best is yet to come for him.
2.  Jeff Wilson.  I love Byrd, but Wilson is up there with some of the best RB's I've ever seen at UNT.
3.  Guyton.  He stretches the field so well.
4.  Lol.  No disrespect Wheeler.
5.  Lol again.  No disrespect Khari.
6.  Tough one.  Looking strictly at 2013 VS 2017, I think I'd take McCarney.  We've seen some weird choices (especially around ST's) from Littrell this year.  He's shored them up, but that 2013 squad was well coached from McCarney all the way down.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Hard to say until year's end, but I will say that this team has far more potential for sustained success than 2013 and a much better overall coach. I've also been more entertained by this team so far. 2013's ST/Def was exciting but the offense of that team wasn't the most electrifying. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure who on our current defense could start at any position on our 2013 defense.

Offensively, I'd still probably take a senior D. Thompson, to the current soph Fine ----but by the time Fine is a senior I'd expect that to switch based on his current trajectory.  Wilson and Guyton are game breakers, whereas Byrd and Harris were solid, tough and fit the offense we were trying to run in 2013.

The real backbreaker to this comparison, though, is one you didn't list.  Brelan Chancelor.  He plus our special teams would've put that squad over the top of our current one.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

This!!!

This years defense is a bend dont break Defense but the 2013 D was a break you in half defense that was physical ball hungry team

I don't get the feeling that this year is a bend but don't break defense. We play our secondary far more aggressive to be a bend but don't break. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Derek Thompson or Mason Fine?  Thompson was NT good.  Fine has a chance to be great.  IMO, soph. Fine is already at Thompson's level. 

brandin Byrd or Jeff Wilson   Byrd was a good back but wasn't close to Wilson as a long run threat.  Wilson is much better overall player if he can stay healthy. 

darnell Harris or Jalen Guyton?  Guyton has had one great game, but as only a sophomore has a lot of time to shine.   On a current basis I would already take Guyton. 

Zach Orr or Josh Wheeler?  No match at all, Orr is an all-time great player;.  

Marcus Trice or Khari Muhammed? - Based on 5 games, Muhammed is just as good as Trice   That is a surprise   Trice was an exceptional leader, and no freshman could muster that. 

Danny Mac vs Littrell? - Mac's best and only good team was almost wholly build on Dodge recruits.  Littrell has a good mix of Mac's and his recruits.  Mac's best team was 3 years into his NT program.  LIttrell's second year he is at 3-2 still a long way to go.   Littrell is a better coach in all facets.   A better question would be McCarney versus Dodge.   

Comparing a whole year with 5 games is not possible.  I will leave the team rating till later.  The current team has a long way to go to match 9 wins.  

• Upvote 2

While I give the edge to the 2013 team, this team is built to have more success over a longer period of time. Almost all the main guys on the 2013 team were seniors and the senior leadership carried that team. The 2017 team is a mix but mostly Sophomores and below that should have a chance to be really good for several more years. Should be a fun team to watch!

• Upvote 2