DRC: Echols-Luper transferring, has interest in UNT

Brett Vito

5 minutes ago, DemolitionDan said:

"I have reached out to UNT once or twice, but have not heard anything yet," Echols-Luper said.

Why would we not reach back immediately? 

That's a very vague statement. To whom did he reach out? Did they not answer the phone (or email, or text, or tweet, or Facebook message, or Snapchat, etc.) Or have they said we'll get back to you when we know definitively if we can use you and haven't made that decision yet. In his own words, "It's too early." 

• Upvote 1

If we have a scholly - I say do it.....will he walk on for us?  If he is that fast, surely the NFL will be looking at him......we need NFL talent in here....

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If we have a scholly - I say do it.....will he walk on for us?  If he is that fast, surely the NFL will be looking at him......we need NFL talent in here....

I actually meant to say we need NFL scout looking here, so maybe others will get noticed.....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

Arrested,  warrants,  suspended from Arkansas State... pass.

I'd give him a spot as a walk on, with a 0 tolerance no chances no mess up understanding.  Position of need as a return man who was a top return man nationally at TCU, against big boy ball. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Isn't the dead period primarily aimed at HS recruits?

Believe dead periods are dead periods.  I'll have to research though.

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'd give him a spot as a walk on, with a 0 tolerance no chances no mess up understanding.  Position of need as a return man who was a top return man nationally at TCU, against big boy ball. 

Sorry....nope...pass. Don't need the headaches. Don't need kids you have to monitor constantly to see if they have open warrants or arrests.  Just not my "cup of tea". Tired of seeing problems get chance after chance after chance just because they play a sport.  Hope it works out well for this young man.....somewhere other than UNT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, KRAM1 said:

Sorry....nope...pass. Don't need the headaches. Don't need kids you have to monitor constantly to see if they have open warrants or arrests.  Just not my "cup of tea". Tired of seeing problems get chance after chance after chance just because they play a sport.  Hope it works out well for this young man.....somewhere other than UNT.

As far as I've read he had one traffic stop where they found weed parafanalia and open warrants.  My guess unpaid speeding tickets.  Anyway if you want to win, you're going to have some borderline guys.  This guy as far as I can tell isn't a gun toting felon, I'm good with giving it a shot as a walk on.  Just my opinion, but you aren't going to find a bunch of kids who can play ball who don't have their issues whether we know about them or not.  It is what it is.  You get them here and try to continue building their character while winning games.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

As far as I've read he had one traffic stop where they found weed parafanalia and open warrants.  My guess unpaid speeding tickets.  Anyway if you want to win, you're going to have some borderline guys.  This guy as far as I can tell isn't a gun toting felon, I'm good with giving it a shot as a walk on.  Just my opinion, but you aren't going to find a bunch of kids who can play ball who don't have their issues whether we know about them or not.  It is what it is.  You get them here and try to continue building their character while winning games.  

I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but there are red flags everywhere that this guy thinks he is above certain things, even if only minor.  Riding around with pot with multiple warrants (even if only speeding), getting cited March 13, then speeding around town with pot again 2 weeks later (March 26th)....  Guy gets suspended from team, then continues the behavior; am I reading that correct?

Anyways, if we've kicked off guys from our roster for similar incidents, I speculate (only speculate) that taking in a guy like this would compromise the integrity of our staff.

Having said all that, still some unknowns.  Guy is set to graduate.  I'll keep reading.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

if we were to get him, then we need to have some plays where he throws the ball.  in addition to his speed and return skills, he has a very nice arm.

Not really. 

He can chunk it but where it goes nobody knows. 

We gave him a shot at QB after working at QB sat him down with film and he elected to move to A back. We let him punt a few times. Got a 70 yarder and a 7. 

7 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Agreed... Tell him he can come here as PWO with a 0 tolerance and even if there is a slightest doubt/worry then he will be gone. 

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

maybe as a walk-on but what message does that send to existing teammates who have watched their friends depart for "violating team rules" and then this guy gets a scholly?

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/34798187/a-state-wide-receiver-faces-drug-offense-suspended-from-team

Walk-on sure... but that's about the extent of it.

Not sure that it would make players question it. SL showed he was serious about off the field stuff, and giving him (Luper) a chance is well worth it possibly. If he were to come here as a PWO which is what likely the offer would be since it was rumored that is what we offered the former Denton WR that went to AZ-State that before he went to UH. Also, likely him knowing its his last season he would hopefully straighten up and him having family near by as well can hopefully help as well.

We do not have a return man and even if he just returns punts and kicks, and plays in the WR rotation it is worth it as a PWO. I have no idea about his size if it could allow for us to RS Darden, then do it and bring him in... once he slips up he is gone, but if he doesn't he could bring in a few NFL talent guys and that will help out McClain, Jenkins, and WIlson. 

5 hours ago, Marty said:

Jeremy is a swell guy but he had a man crush on CEL. 

He is a special athlete but his football IQ holds him back. A 24 yard kickoff return from the end zone is a negative. Running hard to catch a short punt and muffing it is a negative. Chasing a punt over your head and trying to catch it Willie Mays style and muffing it is a negative. 

He was falling down the depth chart at TCU and they gave up on him as a WR and moved him to DB. His playing time was dropping at AState and you knew certain plays were on and off the table based on whether he was in or the #2 A back was in. 

I am unclear as to whether the last straw were the arrest or how he did or did not take responsibility (I know Anderson rained down hell on a player because he didn't fess up and staff found out from media) or how he responded to the consequences. 

What I do know is it is highly likely that Anderson and Littrel have talked. They are both out of the Fedora tree and Anderson is very active in AFCA so I'm sure their paths have crossed. UNT won't be going into this blind. 

CEL has an immense upside. He either hasn't found the focus or a guy who is 149-52 and one who is 24-15 don't know how to coach him. 

If he checks out after straight talk between Anderson and Littrel and there is a vacant scholarship for a year he's probably worth taking a flier on. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

He is a special athlete but his football IQ holds him back. A 24 yard kickoff return from the end zone is a negative. Running hard to catch a short punt and muffing it is a negative. Chasing a punt over your head and trying to catch it Willie Mays style and muffing it is a negative. 

Big plays, like punt returns for long yards (or TD's), can be the difference in big games......but so are muffed punts.