DRC: UNT breakout candidate No. 1 -- English could be a star

Brett Vito

I noticed that on the official roster, Bryce English is #34. When I've been at practice this spring I noticed that several players deliberately wear numbers other than their official number. Mr. English's non-official number of choice this spring has been #32. I couldn't help but notice that both numbers are on either side of #33......the number that his father, Lee English, wore when he played fullback at North Texas. I'm wondering if he would be wearing #33 if it wasn't retired.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If he can control the middle and Hambone can pressure from the outside great things will happen!

Don't forget Young.  He has been a mainstay on our DL and should benefit from the move to the outside.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As much hope/excitement as I have for what Mr. English can/will do here.  I still think Mr Young is going to be the DL anchor.   He is very, very good.

In no way am I making light of Young, but he can't hold English' Jock.  English is really special. 

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My question is should we expect English to be a anchor that just takes on blocks to free everyone else or should we see him attack?

I'm hoping that English is a better version of Brandon Kennedy.

Those are mighty high hopes.

I just don't think we will ever see another Kennedy. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My question is should we expect English to be a anchor that just takes on blocks to free everyone else or should we see him attack?

A better version?!?  You are setting up impossibly high expectations for a kid who has yet to play a snap at UNT.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

If English is better than Kennedy, he will be both.  Kennedy took on multiple blockers and beat them regularly to the QB.  Sometimes 3 OL.

The other posters are right: those are really, really high expectations.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

So you want him to be Vince Woolfork or Haloti Nata...because that's what a "better Brandon Kennedy" would look like

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Those are mighty high hopes.

I just don't think we will ever see another Kennedy. 

I know its high, but if there is one kid that can challenge to be anything close or better to Booger. My bet is that its English. 

5 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A better version?!?  You are setting up impossibly high expectations for a kid who has yet to play a snap at UNT.

I mean in terms of stats, my bad that I didn't add it in. I was 10-13 years old when he was here. I don't remember if Booger was a guy who could play the entire game or if he was rotated in and out often. I'd like to think in Reffs system that English is able to get pressure often. 

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

If English is better than Kennedy, he will be both.  Kennedy took on multiple blockers and beat them regularly to the QB.  Sometimes 3 OL.

The other posters are right: those are really, really high expectations.

High and as I bring up in this post, Id like to think that English is more than willing to be up for the challenge. 

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So you want him to be Vince Woolfork or Haloti Nata...because that's what a "better Brandon Kennedy" would look like

No disrespect to Booger, but all I remember him getting was a pre-season try out and those guys are 1st rounders. I'm just hoping and I know english is likely setting his goals to be on Booger's level or higher.  

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

If English is 75% of what Booger was he'll be Conference Player of the Year.

If he can be 50% he'll be first team All Conference. 

I get the point, and I wasn't here when Booger was to see what he did for the campus, but English is just someone you see around campus and its different. I was 10-13 years old at the time for Booger but English to me just feels like he could be special. Not saying that Booger wasn't special because he was, but just think that English will have an impact while on campus and once he is off campus. 

Kennedy was All-Century, Conference POY as a DT, and dominant against everyone he played against.  The reason he got a preseason tryout was due to his height, which is the same reason he ended up at North Texas.  I hope English proves me wrong, but that comparison is ridiculous before he has even played a down.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I get the point, and I wasn't here when Booger was to see what he did for the campus, but English is just someone you see around campus and its different. I was 10-13 years old at the time for Booger but English to me just feels like he could be special. Not saying that Booger wasn't special because he was, but just think that English will have an impact while on campus and once he is off campus. 

orly.gif

OK.  I see.  We'll let it slide this time.

Let's just be a little more careful when throwing around the term "better than Booger", when talking about a dude who has not played a snap here.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

orly.gif

OK.  I see.  We'll let it slide this time.

Let's just be a little more careful when throwing around the term "better than Booger", when talking about a dude who has not played a snap here.

Youth today...next thing we will hear is that we expect Wilson to have a better year than Jamario had his freshman year...