Scheduling Tweet from Wren Baker: Syracuse?

Side Show Joe

21 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I'm not going to go through it again, but look at what BSU did.

They played FCS and lower G5 to build their early winning seasons.  They beat no P5 team until they won the bowl game against OU.  

WIN WIN WIN.

Schedule to win.  

This ^

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2016 at 4:47 PM, Aldo said:

What? How did y'all make that jump of me not wanting to play teams we lose to? That'd be a mighty long list, and probably a logical fallacy that I can't name.

I get that most others host FCS. But how many of them have the same two teams scheduled for the next 5 seasons that aren't actual rivalries?

Look at complete rankings every season and there are always dozens of FCS teams ranked ahead of bottom-tier FBS teams. We can schedule one of those and mix it up with the long-standing Army/SMU series.

If you want to go the "other teams do that" route, well, other teams do that (schedule poor FBS teams, not schedule more than one team for 5 seasons).

Even Baker saw it as a problem and is aiming to do some short term band-aiding.

You do realize this is exactly what I'm proposing? Lower tier FBS.

Alabama does it.

Our whole conference is lower tier FBS.  Plus, we've home and homed MAC schools -more lower FBS/nonBCS.

We have had every type of schedule imaginable.  What we haven't done, since 1995, with any of them - save for three Dickey seasons and one McCarney - is win.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

On 10/21/2016 at 9:41 AM, Cerebus said:

I'm not going to go through it again, but look at what BSU did.

They played FCS and lower G5 to build their early winning seasons.  They beat no P5 team until they won the bowl game against OU.  

WIN WIN WIN.

Schedule to win.  

While it has gotten BSU positive press and recognition, what it hasn't gotten them is an invite to a P5 which shows the importance of not only winning games but your location. Conferences want TV markets. If we can win consistently the sky is the limit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, wardly said:

Again,what makes me think that Syracuse will draw more fans than Indiana? Just asking.

consider the scenarios.

A. UNT coming off of, say a 7-5 season, and starting 1-0 the next year VS SMU.   Will Syracuse bring more fans than some FCS team?  Probably, granted, not much... what's going to bring more fans is the winning.

B. UNT coming off of, say a 4-8 season, and starting 0-1 the next year VS SMU.  Will Syracuse bring more fans than some FCS team?  Probably not, but not because of the opponent, it's because of the Mean Green's poor play.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

consider the scenarios.

A. UNT coming off of, say a 7-5 season, and starting 1-0 the next year VS SMU.   Will Syracuse bring more fans than some FCS team?  Probably, granted, not much... what's going to bring more fans is the winning.

B. UNT coming off of, say a 4-8 season, and starting 0-1 the next year VS SMU.  Will Syracuse bring more fans than some FCS team?  Probably not, but not because of the opponent, it's because of the Mean Green's poor play.

I think the number of fans Syracuse brings would be more dependent on Syracuse's record than ours.

Also, playing Syracuse would get us in all the betting lines, Lamar would not. A game with Syracuse would likely have the score scrolled on the bottom of the major games of the day. A game with Lamar, likely wouldn't be scrolled except if they do a CUSA specific scroll. We want to play our way into the P5, not into the FCS. You don[t build a brand by beating teams nobody has heard of.

Why do the big bad P5s play FCS schools? Because of what they play in conference. We are not going to get anyone's attention by watering down our schedule. Baylor is always taking flak for their piss poor OOC schedule.

Syracuse is a winnable game for the team we have now. We'll be even better next year. Bring on the Orange. I'm sick of playing teams nobody has heard of. It only adds to the perception that we ourselves are nobody.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think the number of fans Syracuse brings would be more dependent on Syracuse's record than ours.

Also, playing Syracuse would get us in all the betting lines, Lamar would not. A game with Syracuse would likely have the score scrolled on the bottom of the major games of the day. A game with Lamar, likely wouldn't be scrolled except if they do a CUSA specific scroll. We want to play our way into the P5, not into the FCS. You don[t build a brand by beating teams nobody has heard of.

Why do the big bad P5s play FCS schools? Because of what they play in conference. We are not going to get anyone's attention by watering down our schedule. Baylor is always taking flak for their piss poor OOC schedule.

Syracuse is a winnable game for the team we have now. We'll be even better next year. Bring on the Orange. I'm sick of playing teams nobody has heard of. It only adds to the perception that we ourselves are nobody.

I don't think Wardly was concerned with how many Syracuse fans were going to show up.  Neither was I.   He was more citing the turnout for the Indiana game (not close to a sellout) and asking why Syracuse would bring any more UNT fans.   If UNT is losing, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  UNT fans will not want to come see UNT play either team if the Mean Green are not doing well.
On the flipside of that point is my argument.   If UNT is playing well, the fans will want to come out and see them play.  And if we have both Syracuse and Lamar on the schedule, more casual fans would show up for the Syracuse game than the Lamar game (assuming weather conditions & other outside factors were similar).

It comes down to winning games on your schedule, regardless of opponent, at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I was accepted to Syracuse but never went. They've always been a favorite of mine since. I wouldn't know if I should wear a Green shirt & orange pants or orange shirt & green pants that day..........

Well, you didn't go there...so easy, green all over...you are part of our school

• Upvote 2

Syracuse is better on our schedule than Lamar, Bethune-Cookman, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist

SMU is better on our schedule than  Lamar, Bethune-Cookman, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist

Army is better on our schedule than Lamar, Bethune-Cookman, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist

Heck, even upcoming games against Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Memphis, or Missouri are better for North Texas than Lamar, Bethune-Cookman, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist

Recruits get excited about playing in big games against big names. Students like it too. Most fans do too. Not small schools few people even know. The RV model was a failure. Make better schedules and play good football. Thats it. This isn't exactly a shuttle launch, it's football. Give players, students, alumni, fans something to get excited about. Not Lamar, Bethune-Cookman, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist.

If you want to schedule highly winnable games then Idaho or New Mexico State type teams are who we need to schedule. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1