Starting to warm up to Jinks

Harry

Dodge also didn't have ANY college experience. A lot of people can agree that Dodge should have started out in college football coaching as an assistant, before working as a head coach. Jinks at least has some college experience and he has been coaching in the P5's (especially the Big 12, which is better for a Texas recruiting standpoint). I don't think it's fair to classify him in the possible Dodge category IMO. He is not my first pick to be honest, but I do think he carries the qualities of a good HC.

False. Dodge was a position coach at this one school (slips my mind which) during the 90's...

• Upvote 3

False. Dodge was a position coach at this one school (slips my mind which) during the 90's...

I wondered who was going to catch that. Congratulations.

I was going to challenge but wanted to research to get exact years and was interrupted before I could do it. 1992-1993 (QB & WR coach).

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2

This is my first post.  My name is Doug Rush and I am the head baseball coach at Tomball High School.  I grew up in Denton and played on the North Texas club baseball team in 82 and 83 and on its varsity program in 84 and 85.  We were not very good but we were not given a chance to be either.  I graduated from North Texas in 1986.  I coached at Denton High until 1992 before I left to pursue head coaching opportunities.  I love Denton and I love The Mean Green despite the terrible way they treated baseball in the 80's.

Anyway, I am a personal friend of Mike Jinks.  We coached together and ran around together when he was right out of college and we were coaching at Killeen Ellison High School.  I am telling you right now that the moment I met him I knew he was destined for greatness.  He was a great quarterback at Converse Judson and a legendary quarterback at San Angelo State.  And yes he loves to throw the football for you guys that were inquiring.  Mike will light up a room with his personality.  The kids he coaches love him.  He is a great football mind and he has all the intangible to be a GREAT head college football coach.  And Mike wants the U.N.T. football job. I believe he will be incredible at recruiting, at assembling a staff, at promoting the city of Denton, and  at promoting our university. He is a humble but confident guy and he never meets a stranger.  Other coaches would love to work for him because he would be a guy you work with and not for. 

I sure hope he gets the opportunity to at least interview because I think he has a great plan in place for when he gets his opportunity. 

FWIW, it's Angelo State University. 

• Upvote 1

This is the kind of coach we need. But I fear correcamino is right in that RV will try to go for a splash. I posted when Mac was hired that I didn't like the hire, and got blasted for it. I felt it was an over reaction to the Dodge hire, and RV trying to appease the fans.

Most likely he'll keep going down that path and try to bring in a flashy young gun.

He hired Dodge which was a over reaction to Dickey, then Mac which was an over reaction to Dodge. He said he wants a young offensive coach and this guy doesn't really fit that bill.

• Upvote 2

" And Mike wants the U.N.T. job." Great to hear for a change!

Always a "minimum standard" in my book. And after reading this thread and viewing the TT video of Coach Jinks, I'm ready for this guy to give it a go here at North Texas. And while this might not make much of a difference to other readers of GMG.com, this story from his WiKi page really hits home with me.

Jinks' coaching career began in 1995 when he was working as a waiter in a restaurant in San Angelo, Texas. He was serving a table full of coaches from Ellison High School and was offered a job as the quarterbacks coach there. Short on funds, Jinks received a loan from his former coach at Angelo State, Jerry Vandergriff, to earn his teacher certification and move to Killeen, Texas.[4]

Jinks became the quarterbacks coach at his former alma mater Judson High School in 1998. Following that, he was theoffensive coordinator at David Crockett High SchoolGalena Park High School, and Robert E. Lee High School. He accepted his first head coaching position at Burbank High School in San Antonio, Texas in 2005.

Head coaching record
Overall79-25
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
2010 Texas Class 5A Division II
Awards
2012 National High School Coach of the Year Finalist
2012 U.S. Army All-American Bowl Coach

This is a guy that is a hard worker, and I feel strongly that he will connect with players and parents from a blue collar background. And he appears to be able to get the most out of his players.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trust me I am keeping up with the progress on re-starting baseball. 

That's cool, I was one of the people who tried to re-start wrestling...more interest in baseball, though!  It's funny though, when you put the word out, you find out that there's a TON of talent that either went unrecruited or just came in on academics without even trying to pursue collegiate athletics, regardless of the sport.  With zero wrestling program in place, we had MULTIPLE state champs from various weight classes just pop up showing interest in an intercollegiate club, as well as some low-end pro wrestlers and MMA types.  So when you consider any sport outside of the Big 2 (football and basketball), there's a ton of talent floating around that didn't even consider collegiate sports until after the fact.  If we get a decent coaching staff, I think we can be competitive in baseball immediately for this exact reason.

Ok, now 4 of the candidates we interviewed have been named 1st time FBS head coaches. And seemingly, we had realistic shots at all of them, with the possible exception of Norvell. 

This is a different time from just a few years ago. 

Very. I highly doubt McCarney was up for any other FBS head coaching jobs when we interviewed him. I don't know who all we interviewed during that time. 

I am glad to see Jinks headed to BG.  There were rumors that UTSA may come calling to bring him back to San Antonio as an assistant in preparation to take over for Coker.  I don't want to see him there...ever.

UTSA really made a mistake not letting go of Coker this year. He was the right guy to jump start that program and give it some early credibility, but they're at the point where they need to find the guy who's going to take them to the next level. 

It's nice to see another school pull a UNT for once.

Ok, now 4 of the candidates we interviewed have been named 1st time FBS head coaches. And seemingly, we had realistic shots at all of them, with the possible exception of Norvell. 

This is a different time from just a few years ago. 

I always think its good to have an apples-to-apples comparison when you look at the progress of you coach versus the other applicants. It is very similar in a lot of ways to the Mac vs Franchione vs Coker triumvirate...