Coach Chico comments on all of the UNT 2014 Practices

Harry

My point is we don't even know if he is the next Antoinne Jimmerson. We are going off high school video against lower classification players and some kind words from coaches after 4 practices and one scrimmage.

Lets just hope he can contribute on special teams as a true freshman. Anything else is gravy.

Since I started this part of the thread with a simple question, let me jump back into it by saying.........THIS.

I totally agree with 90 on his basic premise of wait and see. Maybe he (Wilson) jumps off the screen to some in his highlight videos, but I much prefer seeing players in live action.

You know, sometimes I think that our more" tech savvy" coaches post comments about new players because they know that fans (like 2 years olds) like to have a new toy to play with. It's keeps them (us) mollified and makes up (somewhat) for the ban on fans being able to attend practice.

Running around in shorts is one thing, but putting on pads and taking a hit from Laramie Lee, and then coming back just as strong on the next play is quite another.

• Upvote 4

I took a peek at Wilson's playoff hudl highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1579559/highlights/101700398

I don't see ADP. Not the same fluidity, strength, and style. I can see the poor man's version of Bush, just without the body control and the juking. Maybe a poor man's Jeremy Hill?

In fact, it was a little difficult figuring out what style of football he played with his o-line. I mean these guys were opening holes 10-15 yards down field. How unfair.

A big similarity with Bush was all the trips to the corner store. He is on turbo the entire time, with no patience. He is a one cut back because he is going way too fast to do more than that, evidenced by many runs ending in arm-flailing.

I love his amazing burst off the line, and his speed against DBs. His over-reliance on his quickness and speed will need refining. I doubt he starts a game this year. I can't wait for him to get a little stronger and work on his inside game. He is definitely worth the wait.

On another note, did I see Evans fumble a couple times at the spring game?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since I started this part of the thread with a simple question, let me jump back into it by saying.........THIS.

I totally agree with 90 on his basic premise of wait and see. Maybe he (Wilson) jumps off the screen to some in his highlight videos, but I much prefer seeing players in live action.

You know, sometimes I think that our more" tech savvy" coaches post comments about new players because they know that fans (like 2 years olds) like to have a new toy to play with. It's keeps them (us) mollified and makes up (somewhat) for the ban on fans being able to attend practice.

Running around in shorts is one thing, but putting on pads and taking a hit from Laramie Lee, and then coming back just as strong on the next play is quite another.

To what you and 90 said, my statements on Wilson have absolutely nothing to do with the coaches (Canales) giving him praise. Purely on the film. You either see what makes him special in his film or you don't. Also, the THSCA All Star game. But whether you see it or not doesn't change the fact that it's there. It also doesn't mean he's going to be successful. Not calling him the next this or that.

As for redshirting. It all comes down to one thing. Is the risk of not having a player for that fifth season worth what he's going to bring the team as a true freshman?

We have an all purpose back in Jimmerson, a power back in Pegram, and a home-run threat in Evans. So we aren't really missing much in our top 3. And like GreenP1 said, you don't want to get too many guys in the mix. Wilson is more of an all purpose guy, with a little bit of home run threat. Although I'm not sure on Wilson's top-end speed yet to truly be a burner.

The likelihood that Wilson will be a starter or major back by his 5th season (what we'd give up by playing him this season), coupled with the fact that we really aren't missing much in our top 3 backs means that most likely a redshirt would be beneficial. Again, unless he ends up being our number 1 or number 2 back.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

I took a peek at Wilson's playoff hudl highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1579559/highlights/101700398

I don't see ADP. Not the same fluidity, strength, and style. I can see the poor man's version of Bush, just without the body control and the juking. Maybe a poor man's Jeremy Hill?

In fact, it was a little difficult figuring out what style of football he played with his o-line. I mean these guys were opening holes 10-15 yards down field. How unfair.

A big similarity with Bush was all the trips to the corner store. He is on turbo the entire time, with no patience. He is a one cut back because he is going way too fast to do more than that, evidenced by many runs ending in arm-flailing.

I love his amazing burst off the line, and his speed against DBs. His over-reliance on his quickness and speed will need refining. I doubt he starts a game this year. I can't wait for him to get a little stronger and work on his inside game. He is definitely worth the wait.

On another note, did I see Evans fumble a couple times at the spring game?

Aldo is right in pointing out the fumbles...the starter or the one who gets the most reps is probably the guy who can protect the ball the best. That is Mac's way.

Aldo is right in pointing out the fumbles...the starter or the one who gets the most reps is probably the guy who can protect the ball the best. That is Mac's way.

Reducing the likelihood of turnovers is the mark of good coaching.

Many years ago, the Dalai Lama said it best, and I quote:

"There are many young men who can run fast in a straight line for 40 yards, in and out of football pads. But, the one who will see the most action come game time is the one who does not often drop the ball when it is handed to him, cough it up when he takes a strong hit, or have it stripped away in a sea of hands while being pursued or tackled."

• Upvote 1

"There are many young men who can run fast in a straight line for 40 yards, in and out of football pads. But, the one who will see the most action come game time is the one who does not often drop the ball when it is handed to him, cough it up when he takes a strong hit, or have it stripped away in a sea of hands while being pursued or tackled."

George-Washington-Assume.png

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure that was Darrell Dickey, quoting Bill Parcells.

Was anyone around or remember if Palestine was 2a or 3a when AP went there? And no I never said Wilson was the next AP just that talent can come from these "small towns" it just takes more leg work to find it.

• Upvote 1

0.jpg

• Upvote 3

Jimmy regressed a little last year. I hope that he gets back to his freshman form where he doesn't second guess himself.

I think Jimmy had a rough beginning to last year... but he improved steadily after Tulane... (I think) ang I think he was even more in a groove after (Unfortunately) Pegram went down and his place in the rotation was secured as 2nd back...

hopefully he'll feel more comfortable from the start this year and not have those same mistakes(read:fumbles) as last year

I think Jimmy had a rough beginning to last year... but he improved steadily after Tulane... (I think) ang I think he was even more in a groove after (Unfortunately) Pegram went down and his place in the rotation was secured as 2nd back...

hopefully he'll feel more comfortable from the start this year and not have those same mistakes(read:fumbles) as last year

JimJim just seems like a knuckle head who needs maturing. Hopefully, we'll see that this year.

• Upvote 1

Beside their Mothers & Coach Simmonds, Coach C wouldn't get on the Bus w/o them. pic.twitter.com/RYqm0NSvb6

— Coach Mike Canales (@coachcanales)

August 11, 2014

Look into our line vs Ut??

Edit: Why do I screw the embedding up every time?

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

If you will hit Details and then copy the twitter code from the address bar it should embed just with copying and pasting that code like a regular post. Another option is hit Share and copy the http:// code in that...

Press edit on your post and you will be able to see the corrected code.

The site software is about to go about a major update and I think it will be making this easier.