Lids Caps Distributor Says UNT Campus Licensors Are Stingy...

PlummMeanGreen

Love's? Also, let it be noted that the Rest Area near the Mile 81 marker on Interstate 30.....has no NT caps. I've already called TxDOT to let 'em know how I feel about it.

I just got back from that location, SUMG, so next time you stop in to take a "rest" (using the nice word for that) do check out the cap bin--ALL NORTH TEXAS HEADGEAR/CAPS---ONLY!

I placed the bin outside the potty room area and is quite impressive if I have to say so myself. One NORTH TEXAS cap in flashing neon would really make all our old friends who've long since left us so proud.

Yes, its in apple green neon & it flashes:

"Eat & Drink Beer At Apogee & Stay For The Game, Too!" (You'll Be Glad You Did)! :thumbsu:

Harry has limited me to "1" Norm Hitzghes-like attempt at humor, ie, dad joke per day--so this one is it for today). Whatta' ya' think, Quoner? Do I need more work on this or what? :stuff:

GMG!

PS: And SUMG.....answer your damn phone while I'm thinking about it. :hair:

+5

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We all to the person love our school and want more to know all about it....that's is the main theme you'd get from any UNT student or alum on such marketing projects as having classy looking baseball caps available outside Denton County and to the uttermost parts of Texas. This ain't about some power trip or control sort of crap. Most of that comes from campus but they need to expand our marketing horizons up there because they are sitting on our "OUR" gold mine for whatever reason or excuse they'd come up with.

Are we so wrong for wanting this to happen for our school? It pisses me off that yesterday I counted 6 UTSA caps at my Weatherford Loves and not 1 from UNT; and best I recollect the Alamo City is almost a 6 hour drive away from Denton (if you really stay the speed limit counting pit stops, too).

GMG!

PS: And how many outside Denton and the Mean Green Nation know that single eagle on the front of our UNT cap is not the Philadelphia Eagle?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I've never understood the Athletic Department's marketing plan. The oldest marketing truism I know is the rule of seven - that is, a person needs to get smacked in the face with your product seven times before they'll do anything. So why on earth would you limit the ability of others to promote your material?

It isn't just merchandising, though. Year after year, the UNT Fight Song never quite made it into the NCAA Football video games. I actually contacted a guy with EA through linkedin and he said that they request it every year, but never get anything back. When I ask the department, they shrug and point to the university. When I ask power brokers at the university, they say they have no idea what I'm talking about and wonder why it hasn't happened. This should have been as simple as emailing a few mp3 files over to EA Sports. But we just could never make it work, and that's a huge missed opportunity.

Then there's the whole question of media coverage. I understand wanting to control your own media, and that's great. You should be able to produce the best quality stuff - you have around-the-clock access to players an coaches. But that doesn't mean that there's no value to reaching out to any media outlet (professional or amateur) who'll take your call and bring them in on the processess. Bring them in, let them in on the process, make them part of your story! If that means you let them in to practices and make them sign NDAs - what would be so wrong with that? Additional media coverage doesn't HURT you, it HELPS!

Finally, If your product is flying below the radar, you simply CANNOT afford to miss out on the power of viral marketing. You've got about 200 active posters on this site who would be thrilled to help market your team if you just asked them, for exactly zero dollars. Just to help out this program and literally become part of its success. Look, I know that GMG is referred to as the "idiot board" by the athletic department, and it is very often an appropriate moniker. But it is also a board full of free and effective assets to promoting your product. If you can't sell the place out by yourself, why on earth would you turn down the help of others?

• Upvote 5

I believe this story to be true. I am from Rockwall and we have an office supply store downtown that also carries tons or collegiate stuff. (Rockwall people love to display where they went to school.) This past summer I wandered into the shop and saw very little UNT gear, and gear from nearly every other division 1 Texas school. When I inquired, I was told what this thread echoes, that UNT licensing was too difficult to work with and they had basically given up on carrying UNT items. As a good UNT student I emailed someone in the branding department (I'll look up exactly who once I get off my phone) and the branding person claimed that UNT was NOT difficult to work with and they would be contacting the store. Fast forward about 6 months later, my girlfriend got me an item from the office suppy store for Christmas and she said when she was in there she inquired about why there wasn't any more UNT stuff, she again was hit from the same story from the store about how the licensing was too difficult to work with and wasn't worth it.

Quite a shame.

• Upvote 1

One of the on going mysteries, Why is North Texas athletic apparel so difficult to obtain. It is an undeniable truth, and yet no one seems to know how to fix it. I believe even RV has promised that he would address the problem, but that was a long time ago and nothing has significantly changed.

It's not like every other university has the same problem with product distribution. This issue seems unique to NT.

I don't buy the theory that NT is limiting distribution to enhance in-house sales. It just doesn't make any sense on several different levels. Increased royalties would surely offset any decrease in UNT direct sales. Also the advertising value of increasing the brand awareness of NT has to overshadow any concerns over direct sales profitability.

It seems to me that the AD should be able to satisfactorily address this issue even with his greatly overburdened staff. It is an embrassment for a school that expires to be first rate to have this issue for this long.

• Upvote 3

I guess they haven't heard about glass houses and how their inhabitants should behave...

Guess they don't like being called out on what THEIR TARGET FANS have to say about them.

I believe this story to be true. I am from Rockwall and we have an office supply store downtown that also carries tons or collegiate stuff. (Rockwall people love to display where they went to school.) This past summer I wandered into the shop and saw very little UNT gear, and gear from nearly every other division 1 Texas school. When I inquired, I was told what this thread echoes, that UNT licensing was too difficult to work with and they had basically given up on carrying UNT items. As a good UNT student I emailed someone in the branding department (I'll look up exactly who once I get off my phone) and the branding person claimed that UNT was NOT difficult to work with and they would be contacting the store. Fast forward about 6 months later, my girlfriend got me an item from the office suppy store for Christmas and she said when she was in there she inquired about why there wasn't any more UNT stuff, she again was hit from the same story from the store about how the licensing was too difficult to work with and wasn't worth it.

Quite a shame.

And there you go. Proof that Plum is (at least in this situation) not imagining things or being paranoid.

• Upvote 1

And there you go. Proof that Plum is (at least in this situation) not imagining things or being paranoid.

I'm telling you that there are conspiracies happening out there as I post. No imagining that! :scared:(Truly being facetious to those who don't know me)

SMU? Check it out!

Flying Worm versus SOW! Check it out!

Ban On Band Days @ UNT ? Check It OUT-TTTTT!

Grand Green Brigade Entrance versus Walking Real Slow To Designated Spots Green Brigade Entrance? CHECK THAT MUTHA' OUT! IT'S HAPPENING RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES!

JFK? Nuthin' to it!

This list of conspiracies could go on but I will stop it...now! :whistling1:

GMG! :blushing:

Now yall will pardon me while I go take my 3 o' clock meds of which I'm 18 minutes late? Oh yes, they're working just fine... :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

:love0072: Scrappy-fucious Son Say:

If a situation looks real and proves by all appearances to be real and in some situations with production numbers (or lack of) that indicates it to be (w/o a doubt) quite real with no ambiguity whatsoever, then it can no longer be classified as, uh, paranoia. (Scrappy-fucious quote from his NY Times Best-Seller) :rolleyes1:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

For anyone curious, here are the emails sent/received from UNT branding in mid-June...

Hi Rolando,

If you are not the appropriate person I do hope you can forward this email to the person that is responsible.

I am a UNT student, home for the summer in Rockwall, TX. Today I stopped in a local store called Texas Traditions in the Rockwall Square. I was quite surprised to see all of the collegiate gear they had for sale. When I inquired as to why there was hardly anything more than a thought of UNT in the store I was even more surprised to learn that the owner/manager had 4 kids that attended UNT. The owner/manager explained that the little UNT items they do have sell out extremely quickly, but she said that UNT was too difficult to license with. I don't know how true that last statement is, but I would not hesitate to believe it considering how much other different college items I saw in the store.

It may be worth giving the store a ring and seeing if you can make some sort of peace. I'm not sure if you've ever been to Rockwall, but everyone here loves to display proudly what college they attended/root for.

I have gone ahead and put the contact information for the store below. I very much hope to see more UNT items in this store in the near future. I was very fortunate to get a new car this past week, yet I cannot buy a "Mean Green" sticker to proudly display on it.

Texas Traditions Home & Office

texastraditionshome.com

(972) 771-8972

To which he replied,

Thanks Austin. I appreciate you contacting me. I am the appropriate person. We have been working very hard to increase our product availability all across the region. I will follow up with this business. Just so you know we are not hard to license with. I dont know why a business would say that. We have major manufacturers that produce our product covering all price ranges.

Thanks!

R

And my last response,

Hi Rolando,

I appreciate the quick response. My guess would be that they had tried to license with UNT several years ago when maybe the licensing policy was different. They appear to have no trouble getting apparel/accessories from TxState, TCU, A&M, etc. though.

Hope you were able to talk to them and I hope I can purchase some items from there soon!

Thanks again,

As of December, nothing changed. Edited by Snowy

In some ways, ex UNT AD Craig Helwig had it right with what he was trying to do. He just didn't have it right with the brandings part and with some of those weird "non-North Texas colors" he signed off to allow the branding group to actually use.

Just like other groups in the USA, our campus will deny there is a problem, let this all blow over and probably not do a damn thing about it, but they should know there is a much larger market out here for UNT gear and headwear than they seem to not want to acknowledge. There is a world out here beyond our favorite college's home town and home county.

35,000 Mean Green fans at the Cotton Bowl Stadium on New Years Day for damn sure didn't all come from Denton and maybe some of them need to understand that glaring fact first and then proceed with solving the problem of which is the theme of this thread.

GMG!

PS: And yes, many of us let it all hang out while we blow and go on GMG.com, but we're all business people or former business people who know how to write a well constructed (and quite diplomatic) message to those who need to hear our message with our goal being to get what we all want to get in this matter.

We don't need to get our torches and march up the cobble stone trail to Frankenstein's castle telling all we're going to burn the barn down to kill a mouse, either.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Look, I know that GMG is referred to as the "idiot board" by the athletic department, and it is very often an appropriate moniker.

If the shoe fits...

Anyway, yes, I tend to agree with you. That's why I went and did my own marketing last year. Kind of absurd I had to do so.

It makes us look small time that you can get gear from pretty much any school except ours in the metroplex.

Like, in Atlanta, the local sports gear store at the mall carries Georgia Southern gear. A lot. Georgia Southern is at a lower level than us and we have better attendance, are a bigger school and more history. Funnily enough though, at this store, we saw a NT keychain. Anyway...

But we don't have anything similar. Really sickening. It makes us look small time and the marketing department doesn't seem to care that much.

I guess if we keep winning there will be more and more demand. But still, just quite annoying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1