Lids Caps Distributor Says UNT Campus Licensors Are Stingy...

PlummMeanGreen

I assume all other schools deal with the same thing? How do schools like Utsa or Georgia southern get more gear out there than we do?

That's a good question. One reason may be that Georgia Southern and uTSA aren't in bed with CLC. http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

Along with K State, Baylor and Miss State, Georgia Southern contracts with Licensing Resource Group. http://lrgusa.com/clients/

And uTSA contracts with Strategic Marketing Affiliates. http://www.smaworks.com/Clients-Alpha.aspx

If you'll notice both companies mostly handle the smaller program clientele licensing, and I can't help but wonder that both are much more manufactur-friendly to deal with than CLC is?

Another reason is simple. GSU and uTSA put more effort into pushing their brands and getting it out there. This I can just about guarantee is a difference.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Why can Voertman's make non CLC licensed shirts, though?

They have customized shirts and they design their own stuff now.

Lots of bigger schools have stores that do similar things to Voertman's does now.

Hmmm,...I've never seen them do customized anything or make their own anything? Got a photo of something with a tag of the manufacturer? If they are doing this without approval through CLC they are in violation.

Rick

That's a good question. One reason may be that Georgia Southern and uTSA aren't in bed with CLC. http://www.clc.com/Clients.aspx

Along with K State, Baylor and Miss State, Georgia Southern contracts with Licensing Resource Group. http://lrgusa.com/clients/

And uTSA contracts with Strategic Marketing Affiliates. http://www.smaworks.com/Clients-Alpha.aspx

If you'll notice both companies mostly handle the smaller program clientele licensing, and I can't help but wonder that both are much more manufactur-friendly to deal with than CLC is?

Another reason is simple. GSU and uTSA put more effort into pushing their brands and getting it out there. This I can just about guarantee is a difference.

Rick

Good stuff, Rick. :thumbsu:

Ok, just so y'all know.... I went by the Lids over in Golden Triangle Mall today.

This is the front entrance display.

1013986_10102267164501200_1881407638_n.j

And this is one of the hats....

3561_10102267164286630_1468406179_n.jpg

Which has THIS on the bill.....

1622266_10102267164386430_1009700822_n.j

And while I was only in there for about 2 minutes, I was NOT the only person there looking at UNT hats.

Damn! That's legit. Good on Lids!! So Sports Authority and Hibbett have NO excuse now. That's more by a huge margin than UT or A&M or anyone else. First I've seen of it but good on them. Will go check it out & support them for carrying lots of NT hats.

Also, at Rick...I asked them after they remodeled, they said they design their own shirts but have the logo rights from the school. I don't know what that means, but they do make their own designs. Thus they had some sweet bowl T-shirts...and have some sweet T-shirts they designed such as the "Scrappy Owns Texas" one.

Anyway, http://postimg.org/image/7q2dvyh2j/

You can see it's just a cheap bulk shirt. It has a big Alumni design on the back, that definitely is not made by Champion/Nike/Jansport/the usual. Leaves me to assume they made it, especially knowing they made a few other ones.

Damn! That's legit. Good on Lids!! So Sports Authority and Hibbett have NO excuse now. That's more by a huge margin than UT or A&M or anyone else. First I've seen of it but good on them. Will go check it out & support them for carrying lots of NT hats.

Also, at Rick...I asked them after they remodeled, they said they design their own shirts but have the logo rights from the school. I don't know what that means, but they do make their own designs. Thus they had some sweet bowl T-shirts...and have some sweet T-shirts they designed such as the "Scrappy Owns Texas" one.

Anyway, http://postimg.org/image/7q2dvyh2j/

You can see it's just a cheap bulk shirt. It has a big Alumni design on the back, that definitely is not made by Champion/Nike/Jansport/the usual. Leaves me to assume they made it, especially knowing they made a few other ones.

Most likely, and I'll check on it my next trip up, but most likely what they mean is they sent in a request to a favorite CLC manufacturer, who then submitted the design request to CLC, who then sent it to the North Texas AD, who then sent the OK back to CLC in Atlanta, who then sent the OK back to the manufacturer for production.

I know there are also special circumstances in which the university can set out on their own and deal directly with manufacturers and suppliers. They do this with promotionals such as with RHA t shirt givaways and the Booger Bobble head doll, which normally violates NCAA rules promoting a player's name or likeness, but was an exception that was granted.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

The original Zephyr X Line for North Texas.

h2IUDUE.jpg

This is the design I refer to when people ask me..."What is a Mean Green"?

Answer: "An Eagle With Teeth...Of Course!"

I got this design approved back in '03 but there was a second design that Zypher absolutely fell in love with that they submitted for approval along with the one above and that was a hat using the NT Exes interlocked "NT" design.

The president and owner of the company submitted both designs to me to show me what they wanted to do then called me at home to break the good and the bad news in person. Of course the good news was that the X Line design got approved. The bad was that our alumni association was in a squabble with the university over their logo and wouldn't give permission at the time. He said that was too bad because he thought it should be the outright design of choice that UNT should go wiith,... that it far out performed the others in an opinion poll with his designers.

He and the designer of Pro Line Hats, who at one time had the contract for Major League Baseball both shared the same opinion concerning the NT Exes logo. But pffffttttt, their just professionals in the collegiate marketing/merchandising and sales area. What do they know, right?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this conversation is kinda like "why don't the students go to games". EXHAUSTING!!!!

WE NEED MORE COOL STUFF TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh? Oh, it looks good on you though.

Why can Voertman's make non CLC licensed shirts, though?

They have customized shirts and they design their own stuff now.

Lots of bigger schools have stores that do similar things to Voertman's does now.

Voertman's is a dead stick.

It's been all downhill since Paul Voertman sold it back in the early 90s. Even for a few years after the sale, it was hands-down the best store in Denton. Best book selection, great range of art supplies, awesome and eclectic gifts. I live a couple of blocks from it and I only go in there any more when I want to make myself sad. Lots of bare shelves, still a good-but-not-great range of art supplies, some UNT swag, a minimal amount of textbooks, and not much else.

I wasn't aware they were rolling their own designs for UNT gear. Might have to venture back in there and check it out.

• 2 weeks later...