ESPN- Mack Brown to Resign (to Coach Bowl)

All About UNT

As much as it would pain some to believe, the Longhorns will never be "an also-ran in their conference and state". EVER.

I didn't say it, the UT grad who wrote the story said it. :-) Guess that's the way the fans and grads feel about 8-4 seasons. Three 8 wins seasons in a row here would get the stadium named after the coach!

A&M has passed UT by as well as a couple of Ted in their own conference. UT and Dallas Cowboy fans need to face reality.

Perception/support may not have been passed, but product on the field has unquestionably been passed by.

Two years don't really establish a long-term trend. It will be interesting to see what the Ags do without Johnny Football. And even more interesting to see what happens if Sumlin decides to bolt anytime soon.

A&M has passed UT by as well as a couple of Ted in their own conference. UT and Dallas Cowboy fans need to face reality.

Perception/support may not have been passed, but product on the field has unquestionably been passed by.

Big difference between the ups and downs of play on the field which change almost yearly (anyone want to say Baylor is the best program in the state and have 'passed UT/A&M/Tech by?). A&M has not, nor will they ever "pass UT by". Their inferiority complex to UT is second to none.

• Upvote 1

For the record, A$M and TU can both go pound sand as far as I am concerned. Nothing would make be happier than if they both moved to D3. However, from the perspective of a Mean Green fan, A$M has passed TU by, for the moment at least and as long as A$M get to suck of the teet of the $EC, it may be a long while before TU ever recovers on the gridiron.

Big difference between the ups and downs of play on the field which change almost yearly (anyone want to say Baylor is the best program in the state and have 'passed UT/A&M/Tech by?). A&M has not, nor will they ever "pass UT by". Their inferiority complex to UT is second to none.

I'll agree that the perception of UB as a university has not passed TU by. I was only referring to men's football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. It probably won't last more than a few years.

Texas has been passed by several schools. In the Big 12, currently, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma are ahead of them in the pecking order.

In 2010, Texas was 2-6 in the Big 12...only Kansas at 1-7 was worse

In 2011, Texas was 4-5, finishing behind Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Missouri

In 2012, Texas was 5-4, finishing even with Oklahoma State, and behind Kansas State and Oklahoma

In 2013, Texas was 7-2, finishing even with Oklahoma and Okahoma State, and behind Baylor.

The 2013 record is a joke because the Big 12 officials gave them the Iowa State game...and, they struggled mightly against a horrible West Virginia squad, having to go to overtime to squeeze that one out.

They have nothing coming back at QB, will have a new head coach, and lose many of their best defensive players to graduation. So, no matter whom they hire, 2014 will likey have them in the middle of the Big 12 pack, hoping for Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and all else ahead of them to have brain fart-type losses to keep them from getting too far ahead of them too soon.

Again, like the UT grad who wrote the piece says, money can buy some things - good football isn't always one of them.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I just hope they make a bad hire.

That is a certainty. Firing Brown was a mistake, for now. Mark it down. Totally agree with TFLF. UT leaking names of coaches that will do nothing more than use this as Saban did---to get a big fat pay raise and extension. Mack Brown and Darrell Royal. Those names will go down as the 2 best coaches in UT football history. Brown's staff needed to do a better job assessing QB's out of high school. Fix that and they are right back in the hunt for a national title.

Instead they will wander around in the wilderness drunk on Tom Hick's money and ESPN's power trip....

Edited by TIgreen01

UT and OU have the same problem - hubris. You can mark down that Bob Stoops will be forced out in the same manner in less than three years because he has been unable to recruit big time OLs/DLs in the past few recruiting classes. Baylor abused OU with a third team tailback.

Also, I'm the camp that believe the overall crappiness of the Big 12 fed greatly the "legends" that Mack Brown and Bob Stoops have become.

For instance, because of the sheer difference in the type of athlete these two schools get, they should never ever be struggling with the likes of Iowa State. Ever. The horrible run defenses UT and OU have produced over the past two or three seasons has been a complete joke.

UT and OU have the same problem - hubris. You can mark down that Bob Stoops will be forced out in the same manner in less than three years because he has been unable to recruit big time OLs/DLs in the past few recruiting classes. Baylor abused OU with a third team tailback.

Also, I'm the camp that believe the overall crappiness of the Big 12 fed greatly the "legends" that Mack Brown and Bob Stoops have become.

For instance, because of the sheer difference in the type of athlete these two schools get, they should never ever be struggling with the likes of Iowa State. Ever. The horrible run defenses UT and OU have produced over the past two or three seasons has been a complete joke.

The Big 12 of the late 90s to just after UT won the title was probably the best overall conference in FBS. That's right in the middle of the time that both coaches were building their "legends." The Pac and SEC have produced one or two top teams every year, but even the SEC didn't have the quality depth until Mizzou and Tamu switched leagues. And yes, that's entirely my own opinion.

Manny Diaz was the all-time whiff of a hire that led to those run defenses. The big thing about both Stoops and Brown is how many coaches that they've groomed and have gone on to leave their program. They are bound to struggle to find replacements from year to year. That said, both continued to dominate their leagues (and yes, recruiting) for well over a decade. Nobody, currently coaching, can match their longevity at the same school. Not even the holy grail of coaching now---Nick Saban...

I don't know why I'm posting in this topic as I'm not a fan of either school....

Edited by TIgreen01

Not really. Saban doesn't pour it on the way other coaches do. You won't find Alabama dropping 60-70 points on an opponents just because they can. Folks like Bob Stoops...they enjoy it...ask 2003 Texas A&M (77-0), 2007 North Texas (79-10), or several Mack Brown coached Texas teams. As memory serves, Stoops dropped 60+ on Mack .

The truth is, Texas was in for a butt kicking no matter who played QB that night because they couldn't stop the run. So, unless Colt was going to play DT, MLB, or SS, Texas was going to get run out of the stadium.

The Sooners could have scored 100 plus against UNT in 2007. They basically fell down in the 4th qtr every time they had the ball.

Stoops didn't run it up. Dodge (and his pal Mendoza) just sucked that bad.

Not really. Saban doesn't pour it on the way other coaches do. You won't find Alabama dropping 60-70 points on an opponents just because they can. Folks like Bob Stoops...they enjoy it...ask 2003 Texas A&M (77-0), 2007 North Texas (79-10), or several Mack Brown coached Texas teams. As memory serves, Stoops dropped 60+ on Mack .

The truth is, Texas was in for a butt kicking no matter who played QB that night because they couldn't stop the run. So, unless Colt was going to play DT, MLB, or SS, Texas was going to get run out of the stadium.

Seriously, look at all the stats. Gilbert had them within 3 about the 3 and half minute mark in the 4th, then he fumbled and threw 2 picks! UT had stopped the run enough to get back in the game before Gilbert gave them a short field 3 times in the final 3 minutes. Now that we know Gilbert was a JAG it had to have been good coaching to even be in that game late honestly

Why does this thread even exist?

On a different note...does anyone know if MB will get his payout since he was "pressured to resign"? If his point was to make a big statement but instead of being fired, agree to resign after the bowl...wow. Isn't he under contract for like 6 or 7 more years? If so, and if he gave up that money...dumb. Take the 20 mil-ish, add it to your huge stack of money, buy your own island, and give a big f- you to the world and never have to deal with any of those people again.

Seriously, look at all the stats. Gilbert had them within 3 about the 3 and half minute mark in the 4th, then he fumbled and threw 2 picks! UT had stopped the run enough to get back in the game before Gilbert gave them a short field 3 times in the final 3 minutes. Now that we know Gilbert was a JAG it had to have been good coaching to even be in that game late honestly

Why does this thread even exist?

Because some of you just can't leave your burnt orange n the closet long enough to let it die.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Art Briles and Jim Mora have both publicly taken their names out of consideration for the Texas HC job. Briles would've been a good fit because he is one of the best qb recruiters/evaluators in the country and if Texas has a good qb they are a good football team, with the recruiting base and name that they have.

Someone high up with Texas (not sure who) flew out to an undisclosed location and interviewed Charlie Strong of Louisville.

This is only interesting and relevant because if Texas is still in this state as a program next year, then we have a legitimate shot at beating them. They have no stability at the qb position and unless they get someone like Saban or Mahlzahn then I really believe we will be able to have a chance.

Getting the feel from my UT people that Charlie Strong may end up being the guy.

That's fine with me. He was able to raid the city of Miami of players while the U was down. Other than that he's an above average recruiter and coach. He just isn't that homerun hire that scares me like I feel Briles, Malzahn, or Saban would be.

That's fine with me. He was able to raid the city of Miami of players while the U was down. Other than that he's an above average recruiter and coach. He just isn't that homerun hire that scares me like I feel Briles, Malzahn, or Saban would be.

I was hoping he'd wait another year for the Florida job to open back up.

I think the search if funny because UT's arrogance led them to believe they could just cherry pick whoever they wanted and it isn't working out that way.

I think the AD's leadership on their coaching search is questionable at best. Don't they have a 20-person "committee" looking for the next coach? No wonder they cant hire anyone. They probably can't even get 2 people to agree on a candidate outside of Saban.

However, it is a nice way to CYA for their new AD. With all of these boosters weighing in, if the hire doesn't go well, he can pass the blame.

Whoever they hire, it's going to be a good thing for UNT. I wish we weren't losing so many awesome seniors because I think this team can win. Just have to stop UT's rushing attack (which will be difficult).

Even if it's Saban, do you guys remember his first year at AL? He lost to UL-Monroe. Coaching changes are difficult to overcome.

Also, coach McCarney is pretty good at getting his perceived 'lesser' team amped up to beat the 'greater' in-state team. Just look at his record in the IASt/IA series.

I think the AD's leadership on their coaching search is questionable at best. Don't they have a 20-person "committee" looking for the next coach? No wonder they cant hire anyone. They probably can't even get 2 people to agree on a candidate outside of Saban.

However, it is a nice way to CYA for their new AD. With all of these boosters weighing in, if the hire doesn't go well, he can pass the blame.

Whoever they hire, it's going to be a good thing for UNT. I wish we weren't losing so many awesome seniors because I think this team can win. Just have to stop UT's rushing attack (which will be difficult).

Even if it's Saban, do you guys remember his first year at AL? He lost to UL-Monroe. Coaching changes are difficult to overcome.

Also, coach McCarney is pretty good at getting his perceived 'lesser' team amped up to beat the 'greater' in-state team. Just look at his record in the IASt/IA series.

Its like a 8 person committee that has yet to meet to talk about coaches. Right now their AD is doing everything on his own. The finalist appear to be Strong and Franklin

"A source close to the Texas coaching search says Louisville's Charlie Strong and Vanderbilt's James Franklin are among the finalists to replace Mack Brown at Texas."

Its like a 8 person committee that has yet to meet to talk about coaches. Right now their AD is doing everything on his own. The finalist appear to be Strong and Franklin

"A source close to the Texas coaching search says Louisville's Charlie Strong and Vanderbilt's James Franklin are among the finalists to replace Mack Brown at Texas."

James Franklin is a hell of a recruiter. Although he does have a player(s) rape case still going on at Vanderbilt right now. It's been held pretty under the wraps because a lot of Vanderbilt alums in the law field are trying to not publicize something that would give their alma mater a bad rap. Not sure if that hurts his candidacy or not.

He's a good coach too. He's just a little on the weird side. But yes, I like our chances against that team trying to break in a new coach.