Chuck Landon: If C-USA got wish, Marshall would host

Harry

There was no conspiracy in Dallas.

Not this time.

There's no grassy knoll near Conference USA headquarters in Dallas.

That's what Marshall's fans need to realize and accept.

C-USA officials didn't willfully cheat Marshall out of hosting the league championship football game at noon Saturday in Edwards Stadium. Along the same lines, C-USA officials didn't knowingly tweak the numbers of the convoluted BCS rankings formula, just so Rice could host the title game in Houston.

The conference didn't have an agenda. The league office wasn't anti-Marshall and pro-Rice. The league officials didn't cheat.

Let's be clear on that.

Was it controversial?

Yes.

Was it a conspiracy?

No.

Read more: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1926357027/If-C-USA-got-wish-Marshall-would-host

Maybe somebody should redirect Marshall fans to all of our threads discussing every possible outcome leading to who would host the title game. We had just about every possibility figured out before we played (and lost to) UTSA.

Strangely enough, it looks like the weather is actually going to be better in WV on Saturday than it will be in Houston. Mid-30's and raining in Rice stadium will attract practically no one. They better hope it turns out to be dry.

Think the HOD bowl will be watching? Do we expect January 1st to have much better weather?

:cold:

This time of year, its a crap shoot. One day it could be sunny and 65. The next, it could be sleeting and 25.

That's a HUGE reason the Cotton Bowl wanted to move to Texas Stadium even before JerryWorld was planned. Dallas politics stopped the move and cost the Cotton Bowl a chance at being one of the original BCS bowls.

Attendance in Houston will be grim...bad weather, coupled with the small Rice following, coupled with the distance that Marshall fans have to go for the game. Marshall would have turned out a good crowd for national television.

Attendance in Houston will be grim...bad weather, coupled with the small Rice following, coupled with the distance that Marshall fans have to go for the game. Marshall would have turned out a good crowd for national television.

Houston is not as prone to have the bad winter weather we are up here in DFW.

Can you imagine had we hosted this game this Saturday right in the middle of an ice storm?

Shame they couldn't make a last minute move to Reliant Stadium. Rice U can afford their rent.

GMG

That's a HUGE reason the Cotton Bowl wanted to move to Texas Stadium even before JerryWorld was planned. Dallas politics stopped the move and cost the Cotton Bowl a chance at being one of the original BCS bowls.

I would rather attend a Twiddly- Winks contest at Fair Park than the Super Bowl or anything else at Jerry World. I despise that suburban sprawl grotesquerie and think all amateur athletics should avoid its contamination at all costs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The weather will certainly take its toll on the attendance, but I have it on good authority that Rice is selling an acceptable number of tickets. They have a very small but wealthy alumni base. Although actual attendance might end up around 17K, I expect rice to sell between 25K or 30K for the title game. Lets all hope Rice wins. I really want to go watch UNT play on New Years Day.

The weather will certainly take its toll on the attendance, but I have it on good authority that Rice is selling an acceptable number of tickets. They have a very small but wealthy alumni base. Although actual attendance might end up around 17K, I expect rice to sell between 25K or 30K for the title game. Lets all hope Rice wins. I really want to go watch UNT play on New Years Day.

Not a chance they have 17k butts in seats if it's 40 and raining. I doubt we would either under those condition even for a championship game.

Can you imagine had we hosted this game this Saturday right in the middle of an ice storm?

I have been thinking about this all day. If bad weather keeps fans away, what would an ice storm do ? I am kind of relieved we are not hosting this weekend. But, I do wish we were playing in the championship game.

• Upvote 1

I have been thinking about this all day. If bad weather keeps fans away, what would an ice storm do ? .

The example your looking for was the 2004 Fort Worth Bowl between 6-5 Marshall vs 6-5 Cincinnati.

It was the most quintessential weather disaster for a planned, outdoor sporting event there ever was. It was so cold Emmitt and I nearly was forced to share a blanket together. Rain and ice followed by an 18 degree kickoff that hit out of nowhere. Every inch of surface in Amon Carter had a half inch of solid, clear ice covering it. You couldn't move up or down the steps without holding onto the bench in front of you. I doubt there was 2,000 in attendance? The Herd and Bearcat bands wore multi-colored snow garments...(Orange, Blue, Camo-Green...).. because the bowl committee staff was forced to bus both bands to several nearby Wal-Marts to buy them extreme winter clothing because the storm hit while both groups were in transit to Texas and left all their heavy cold gear back home. It was hilarious but sad. There was a band that gave a concert afterwards, someone famous at the time that I can't remember now???, who played on a temporary stage brought in on the North Endzone. They had three people standing in front of them as an audience.

Just amazing, ill never forget it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1