Here's what worries me about UTSA

Harry

Ever been around an ugly girl who just happens to have big boobs?

Check

You're generally pretty indifferent toward her and her butter face. Maybe you even befriend her. When she starts telling you she's the next Brooklyn Decker because a couple drunk dudes took her home, hit it, then never called again...well then you stop being indifferent and say "look bitch, you're not special".

I just look forward to mushroom stamping this 2am special in a couple weeks so she can walk of shame her happy ass back down to the river walk.

Damn man, I want to make this entire post my signature line. Bravo!!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that, ColoradoEagle. I'm not trying to start a pissing contest or anything with this post or the last one. A lot of people want to know where UTSA fans get their sense of pride from, being that this program is so young and has not received a lot of attention nationally. It stems from the hustle this team has shown since day 1. These players have hoisted this university and city on their shoulders and never flinched at any obstacle, no matter how daunting it may have looked.

Surrounded by a lot of positive support. I dig that.

meyers.gif

We were up on Rice getting the ball back and muffed a punt inside our own 10. Also had two missed FGs. Believe we had more yds, first downs and dominated TOP.

They're a good team but transitive property is never a good way to predict outcomes. We beat Tulane and yall didn't afterall. UNT is good, so is UTSA--should be a good game.

Why not? A shiner bock keg would be awesome at tailgate. Seriously what's the reasoning behind this policy?

Something something TABC common source of alcohol. We had to get special permission for a keg a couple games ago. I don't know what all that entailed, but you could find yourself in some hot water if you just tried to unilaterally bring one.

Something something TABC common source of alcohol. We had to get special permission for a keg a couple games ago. I don't know what all that entailed, but you could find yourself in some hot water if you just tried to unilaterally bring one.

You are correct... It would be a big issue. Back in 2005 we brought a keg to a tailgate and got into all kinds of crap. The TABC showed up and warned us. I was MC Hammered and do not recall the wording but we bolted. From my experience with the TABC if you have anything with a pump handle then you need a permit. Even if you are just giving it away.

A young UNT90 (For the sake of the story we'll call him Sally. Such were the wishes of his parents) sits alone in a park, under the watchful eyes of his parents, building facilities he has always dreamed of. Sticks and twigs make up the rather large facility designed to support a future University of North Texas Football team.

"What are you building Sally?" his mom asks sternly.

"A stadium for all of my football players!" answers a suddenly bewildered Sally.

"Son, what have I always preached to you and Mommy about?" his father demands.

Sally stares blanking back at his disapproving father already knowing the consequences of his mistakes.

"IT HAS TO BE ON CAMPUS SALLY!!!" screams his father. His father now has a bulging vein on the side of his right eye. It grows green and pulses as a young Sally cries and pleads his father not to put him in the dark room again. Sally's pleas have gone unheard as the rage of his father has become uncontrollable. His mother falls to her knees knowing their frail little boy may not survive the night.

Hours later Sally is staring into a pitch black room. He's been here before and knows the despair the next 24 hours will bring. He knows the quickest way through it is to sleep and work through his past mistakes to make Daddy happy. He falls asleep surprisingly quickly. He dreams of miraculous on campus stadiums and impressing daddy by persecuting those without them. The desire in his dream become more lurid and creepy as the hours pass. Sally unknowingly prematurely ejaculates to visions of grandeur and images of a winged shape stadium at the endzone of his stadium. He dreams of putting down and condemning others in a virtual community that doesn't exist yet just like his father would do.

Lights flash as the door to the dark room opens. Sally awakes as 24 hours have come and gone in an instant. Sally rises to his feet, pants still wet from his accident, and greets his dad. He walks toward the light reborn. He is no longer Sally. On this day in Denton in 1990, UNT90 is born.

Just lost a listener.

--

I prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi. Thoughts?

Just lost a listener.

--

I prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi. Thoughts?

I grew up forty minutes from the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta. One is essentially considered a rebellious heathen for choosing Pepsi. That said...

A&W root beer or any smaller craft root beer all day, every day.

That will so get you laid at Comic Con

Don't knock getting laid at Comic Con...some of those booth girls are pretty hot.

Anyway...IF UTSA plays their best game of the season next Saturday, this could be a very close game. I'm sure Mac isn't letting anybody overlook it. They're what, 5-5 now? Much better record than some others we played and the Mean Green didn't overlook them at all either (SMiss, La Tech, UTEP).

The argument about history is almost laughable though. True, they haven't had the opportunities we have, but the closest thing they have to a signature win is Tulane, whereas we have beaten everyone from Baylor and Texas Tech to Tennessee and Florida, even though we still haven't gotten over the hump with OU and UT yet. If their trajectory continues I suspect they will get some nice upsets in the future, but to point out that we have had a few down periods in the last century and think that that puts our programs on equal footing is just silly.

The argument about history is almost laughable though. True, they haven't had the opportunities we have, but the closest thing they have to a signature win is Tulane, whereas we have beaten everyone from Baylor and Texas Tech to Tennessee and Florida, even though we still haven't gotten over the hump with OU and UT yet. If their trajectory continues I suspect they will get some nice upsets in the future, but to point out that we have had a few down periods in the last century and think that that puts our programs on equal footing is just silly.

You have more history by the simple fact that you've been around longer, so does New Mexico State or Idaho

.All your little Sunbelt/FCS conference titles earned you is a seat at the same table as UTSA. So yes as far as the product both schools put out on the field you are on the same level. Older does not make you better. UCF football has proven to be better than tons of older programs, including UNT--not that we're at UCF's level but just using them to prove a point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

You have more history by the simple fact that you've been around longer, so does New Mexico State or Idaho

.All your little Sunbelt/FCS conference titles earned you is a seat at the same table as UTSA. So yes as far as the product both schools put out on the field you are on the same level. Older does not make you better. UCF football has proven to be better than tons of older programs, including UNT--not that we're at UCF's level but just using them to prove a point.

Man, your posts are so uniform and unintelligle that I cannot contain myself from commenting back. "little Sunbelt/FCS conference titles"? bringing up UCF? Come on man...you've got to be freaking kidding me.

Man, your posts are so uniform and unintelligle that I cannot contain myself from commenting back. "little Sunbelt/FCS conference titles"? bringing up UCF? Come on man...you've got to be freaking kidding me.

Feel free to explain how being older automatically makes you better.

Edited by correcamino

Feel free to explain how older makes you better.

Did I even bring that up? I didn't say a thing about older being better, did I? However, claiming "little titles" do nothing for a program is sheer stupidity. Your "little" program will also go through ups and downs, just like any other program in the country has, and just be glad once it earns a "little title." What is good about history is tradition. Whether that makes it a better program or not, well, that'll be determined on the field, and you won't be pleased by the result this year. But tradition is something I personally enjoy and hence I'm really happy to look back at our many traditions and history and feel proud about our program.

Being older does not make one team better than the other. I'll reference an earlier post about schools like Idaho and New Mexico State for comparison. It is impossible to compare a school playing its 3rd year of competitive football with a school who has played for 100. UNT has had great years in the past, and are having another one this season. UTSA has exceeded anyone's expectations in its short history. Both schools have impressed in one way or another in the seasons under their belt. UNT's football program has been around far too long for any real comparisons to be made to UTSA. That is not a knock on what our Runners have done. Mike Craven, the editor of our Rivals site, put it this way: "UTSA is a baby that came out the womb with the ability to sprint."

With that said, when looking at both programs from a holistic point of view, i will again say that it is impossible to fairly compare a team in its 3rd year of existence to ANY school, not just UNT, that has been playing football longer.

I'm tired. That all made sense in my head. Been at the library writing papers all night. We love our Runners, and yall love your Mean Green. Let's put it to rest at that.

• Upvote 1

Did I even bring that up? I didn't say a thing about older being better, did I? However, claiming "little titles" do nothing for a program is sheer stupidity. Your "little" program will also go through ups and downs, just like any other program in the country has, and just be glad once it earns a "little title." What is good about history is tradition. Whether that makes it a better program or not, well, that'll be determined on the field, and you won't be pleased by the result this year. But tradition is something I personally enjoy and hence I'm really happy to look back at our many traditions and history and feel proud about our program.

You have a lot more tradition and a lot more history at lower levels/Sunbelt than us, no argument here. I respect that and have no problem with a UNT fan being proud about those accomplishments. He didnt use those accomplishments as a reason for why he's proud of the UNT program like you just did though, he tried to use them as a way to claim superiority over UTSA.

Our four straight "little Sun Belt titles" may not be as impressive as the other years. Point is that in football alone we have what, 25 conference championships, including the MVC when we were with Louisville and Cincy. Our admin also crapped on us back in the day and let Hayden Fry go to Iowa soon before letting us go to I-AA, which is why we had to move back through the purgatory of the Big West and Sun Belt. Otherwise, the last 35 years would have been a lot more impressive.

The point is that I have been saying all along that UTSA will be a bigger test than most others expected, and true, our history doesn't affect this one game...and you seem to have skipped over all the times I've said that UTSA will be pretty formidable very quickly. My agreement with the historical comparison was in response not to pride in programs, which doesn't require 100 years, but to the naysayers who think/say things like "little Sun Belt titles". This is where the disconnect occurs. I don't see how anyone from UTSA can put down our conference championships and 4 dozen winning seasons until there is more oomph down there.

UNT90 and others hate this but...location, location, location. I actually think the UCF/USF comparison is pretty valid. Like I said, I do expect UTSA to come along quickly like those schools rather than the road that has befallen FIU. But to say that being in the same conference means that UTSA is "exactly where" UNT is, well, that's not quite accurate. Where I think you'll agree is that the CUSA FBS classification will help in areas that my fellow alumni have joked about. The fountain, the stadium, basically all donations and alumni support will increase. And when that happens, I do think UTSA will be a lot closer to where UNT is.

These next few years will vault UTSA pretty far, not just in football but in alumni retention and similar areas, and if conference alignments remain the same I think a lot of people who hate it right now will eventually like having the Runners as conference mates. And by that time, UTSA will likely have a few signature wins and maybe even a run or two at conference championships that will certainly make it seem like more than just "a good season by a start-up".

As far as superiority this year goes...well, the teams can meet on the field as far as this one game goes but to think that UNT doesn't have an overall program edge for the next couple years is, again, silly. But UTSA is moving quickly. I'm not assuming that we won't be close to parity soon. With the marketing and momentum that we would love to have, UTSA is going to be an awesome mid-major for us to play, like the other CUSA teams as well as our recent MAC foes.

And I do love San Antonio, which is another big reason I've been pulling for UTSA to do well. Except when they play us, of course. Once we move back, any excuse to go to San Antone is a good one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The problem is that a lot of UTSA posters drop hints that they're better than they are. Little Sun Belt championships as if to say the Big XII is in UTSA's immediate future. The problem is that most of them were/are UT-Austin fans that have seen UTSA move from playing Division III schools to being part of an FBS conference in a short period of time.

What they don't realize is they've hit the ceiling, at least for the foreseeable future. I'm sure plenty of Longhorn and Aggie fans would take the same smug attitude about winning a Conference USA championship, but you can be sure that if North Texas wins it this year, the trophy will go right next to what we earned in the Sun Belt.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1