A Must See: Coach Mac's Presser Video 11-4-2013

If you have not seen the full video of McCarney's Press Conference for the Monday after the Rice game, you gotta check it out. Coach Mac gets so emotionally charged-up that he apologizes for it. Now, that's rare. The man has total passion for what he is doing for our team and our university. Everyone should see this.

http://www.meangreensports.com/

The video is at the bottom of the page.

• Upvote 7

Has anyone seen advertisements in Dallas or Fort Worth about homecoming this week?

There's no doubt that there are enough UNT alum and general football fanatics in the DFW area that we can sell this game out - they just need to be informed about it!

You can have a great product, but if people don't know about it, they'll never buy it.

• Upvote 3

Let's see. What was that "C" word that Coach Mac kept using?

I will not go into a long harangue about the importance of changing the culture at NT, because I have several times already. Coach Mac has already done it with a group of (in his words) 115 young men....and all the other staff for which he has charge over. And it's real clear that he's very frustrated with the culture at North Texas outside of his realm of influence and/or direct power.

My question. Who is going to step up and work just as hard to change the rest of the culture at North Texas? Because, as I've said many times before.........it's not Coach Mac's job!

Hayen Fry saw the "global" issue at North Texas, and went about trying to change it. But he was able to take that task on because, he was not only the head coach, he was also the athletic director. AND he had a very savvy (about athletics) President in C.C. "Jitter" Nolan to work with.

Let's see, what administrator did Coach Mac talk about the most in this presser video?............ B)

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

One thing though, you can tell the guy is pretty upset about small crowds. The lack of a sellout is killing him.

This just shows how out of touch most of these coaches are when they come here. They see 36K students, and 150K alums in the area and think if they go 6-3 the place will be packed.

We have sucked for pretty much the entire lifetime of anybody coming to games now. We were good 10 years ago, but really only 1 season did we have a good record. And those other years we always struggled early on then romped through the crummy belt to get to a winning record.

Add to that the terrible leadership and lack of vision on how to create engaged alums that the school have suffered from basically until the early 200o's and it's more like this.

I'd bet most people who go to games are one of 3 things.

Super loyal people in all things in life who love sports.

Were students either during the early 2000's, the late 80's when we had big upsets, or the 70's when we were ranked.

Recent grads.

The post the other day about our attendance in games 4 -5 showed how well we really are doing this year. The fact we had almost 23K on Halloween and Thursday night is a minor miracle.

Really this thing is headed in the right direction, but three things have to keep happening.

1. Keep engaging students like they've been doing

2. Keep scheduling winnable OOC games so we can be at least 2-2 into CUSA

3. Win!

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 5

This just shows how out of touch most of these coaches are when they come here. They see 36K students, and 150K alums in the area and think if they go 6-3 the place will be packed.

We have sucked for pretty much the entire lifetime of anybody coming to games now. We were good 10 years ago, but really only 1 season did we have a good great record. And those other years we always struggled early on then romped through the crummy belt to get to a winning record.

Add to that the terrible leadership and lack of vision on how to created engaged alums that the school have suffered from basically until the early 200o's and it's more like this.

I'd bet most people who go to games are one of 3 things.

Super loyal people in all things in life who love sports.

Were students either during the early 2000's, the late 80's when we had big upsets, or the 70's when we were ranked.

Recent grads.

The post the other day about our attendance in games 4 -5 showed how well we really are doing this year. The fact we had almost 23K on Halloween and Thursday night is a minor miracle.

Really this thing is headed in the right direction, but three things have to keep happening.

1. Keep engaging students like they've been doing

2. Keep scheduling winnable OOC games so we can be at least 2-2 into CUSA

3. Win!

Wow this post is so correct, puts everything into words I was thinking on Dan's comments.

THIS is why McCarney is one of the best things to happen at North Texas in a long time.

Randy Golloway..Nov 6th

And while he might be flying under your radar, don’t snooze on Dan in Denton just because it’s not a Big 12 precinct. Coach McCarney is doing some Mean Green miracle work.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/06/5313048/gary-patterson-is-no-longer-the.html##storylink=cpy

• Upvote 1

THIS is why McCarney is one of the best things to happen at North Texas in a long time.

Gotta say...I could see much deeper in the soul of this man in that interview...who he really is, much more than has ever been obvious from previous talks,...you have to admire this guy, even if you have some issues with his coaching....reminds me a bit of RV who just gets emotional when he talks about North Texas..,.but I do too. It really raised my opinion of him, as a man and a coach.

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 3

The number of grads in the DFW area is amazing, however I don't really see us being able to get a majority of these alums to the games. We sucked for so long and never really made an effort to get students involved, so they could really care less if we're doing good now.

Just like Coach Mac is rebuilding the team, the Athletic Dept. is rebuilding the fan base and it starts with the current student body. Get them excited NOW and chances are they will come back after they graduate. Only schools like Alabama, Texas, USC, LSU, etc have die hards that will come watch a team that is 2-10. We don't have that luxury, so we have to work extra hard to not only put a good product on the field, but promote the hell out of games to get students involved week in and week out. See TCU as an example. They have had some great seasons, but not enough to quit promoting games. As soon as they start losing, fans are gone.

In conclusion, the Athletic Dept. better get use to this level of promotion or we could quickly be in the place we were 2 years ago.

• Upvote 1

Promotions are EVERYWHERE in Fot Worth for TCU football on home game week.

TCU's problem is a lot of their can base were Fort Worth residents who jumped off the bandwagon immediately when they started losing this year. But they will jump right back on if TCU is ever competitive in the Big 12-2 (BIG if).

I wish we had the same support from the city of Denton that TCU gets from Fort Worth. We don't. Maybe that will change if this winning thing sticks around.

• Upvote 1

Once told some locals at a barber shop in Denton that they should wait for the announcement that Notre Dame is relocating to TX and replacing UNT and then you will finally have a team worthy of your support. Went over like a baked ham at a bar mitzvah , but I still stand behind my statement 25 yrs later.

I will never...ever...understand North Texans and your lack of support of UNT. Just mind blowing.

• Upvote 2

They need to cut that presser up and make a radio and tv commercial out of it and pump it into DFW and whole North Texas market. Have some lead ins and cut backs to some nut crunching slobber knocking hits. Listening to Dan will damn near put hair on your chest.

He got me fired up.

Hell my meatball will likely have a bit more kick in them after watching that.

225K DFW alums.

350K nationwide.

Not picking on you here, but we hear "100k alumni in the DFW area" then "300k alumni in the DFW area" all the time on here.

I know there are a lot of alums close by, but does anyone actually have a source for these numbers that are thrown around as fact?

• Upvote 1