There is AD sponsored trick or treating for kids

emmitt01

Well, I called...got the scoop. Here's the deal. This is a Campus-wide event...it has been hosted at the Student Union for some time, but the Student Union is closed. It was going to be cancelled due to the Union's closing. When Coach Benford and Coach Peterson heard that, they volunteered the use of the Super Pit and that the Athletic Department should sponsor the event. The department agreed and thus the Oct. 30th date. It is a campus-wide event...more folks than just the Jr. Mean Green Club got the notice.

There WILL be athletic dept. Sponsored events for kids the night of Oct. 31st for the game. Something about using the north end zone area or something like that...don't have those details as I was too interested in clearing up the misconception here that the AD MUST have screwed up. So, call it what you want, but seems to me the AD stepped up after learning that a campus wide event that has taken place inferior years was to be cancelled. Nice of Coach Benford and Coach Peterson Kimito lead the charge...one or both could probably use the Super Pit for practice that day.

Stand by for info on the kid-friendly events taking place in relation to the game on the 31st.....now, about that GMG.com sponsored tailgate trick or treat thing.

Amazing what a difference in perspective it becomes when one gets a few of the details sometimes. Cute, huh?

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I'm just glad you admit there is a problem...

No...where in my post did I say I thought it was a problem? I was referring to those of you who want to create problems even if one does not exist...like say a Basketball event for Oct. 30th. Funny how, when the facts are known, it seems to have been no problem at all.

• Upvote 1

No...where in my post did I say I thought it was a problem? I was referring to those of you who want to create problems even if one does not exist...like say a Basketball event for Oct. 30th. Funny how, when the facts are known, it seems to have been no problem at all.

Just out of curiosity, does RV prefer jelly or syrup?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just out of curiosity, does RV prefer jelly or syrup?

Don't know...but I do know who is full of both themselves and a bunch of BS at the same time. Do all your cops prefer to dunk their donuts while on duty in coffee or milk?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Let's just pretend that Oct. 30 is "kid Halloween" and Oct. 31 is "grownup Halloween". If anyone asks me to, I will post photos of the North Texas Dancers at at a Halloween game we played against Western Kentucky in maybe, 2010, just to illustrate what we can do at a "grownup Halloween". I'll talking the difference between, on the one hand, "cute costumes", and on the other, "class and style".

First, I'm trying to think of some way not to take Halloween any more seriously than I ever have. Honestly folks, if North Texas students and alums have forgotten how to party on Halloween, we've come a long way down from my undergrad days.

I'm not sure if anyone will notice this post in between the arguments, but there is one big background issue here. When we used to do Boo Bash, the question as to why it wasn't on Halloween arose a couple of times. Apparently, a few years prior (maybe in the early to mid 1990s) they tried to do it on Halloween and the turnout was terrible. So, ever since, they did it on a different day and got decent turnout. The reason this year creates a unique situation is because of the nationally televised game on Halloween, which also falls on a weekday. So there's a good chance that people might do one or the other with the kids.

So there's a very valid reason why they aren't doing it on Halloween - it was awful the couple of times they tried. But when you add in the wrinkle of the big game it creates an unknown variable. I do hope they follow through with tailgate trick or treating (or something along those lines) and wish they'd tried to combine the events considering that having a huge national gameday experience might change their luck with Boo Bash on the 31st, but on the upside at least there is a reason for it. I don't know how often they've tried to do it on Halloween in recent years, or if there was any success, but previously hardly anybody wanted to show up.

Just as an FYI... Mark is completely correct. Athletics would have loved to have Boo Bash the night of the game, but those who put on the annual event had concerns about several things related to game day activities. Thus, the organizers (not athletics) chose to have it the 30th like they always have. There are so many times I read things on this board that are completely wrong and presumed simply because you just don't know what's happening internally. I wish I was able to shed light each time, but most of the time I'm not at liberty to divulge such things. Know that most of us on staff have great intentions and reasons behind every decision that is made, even if it seems like we didn't consider everything you all bring up. Believe me, they do, but sometimes things just have to happen a certain way and there's no way around it.

May I ask why it is so often that noone seems able to inform about these things, because a) the staff is not at liberty to do so and b ) noone who might have that liberty seems willing?

It just generally sounds like there are too many secrets around the AD, and i don't think that is good for fan relations. Fans seem to get wary of the surprises, because the bad things are communicated as little as the good things. When something is not talked about, most fans are thus assuming something bad might be in the offing or behind the decisions made.

Edited by outoftown

May I ask why it is so often that you noone seems able to inform about these things, because a) the staff is not at liberty to do so and b ) noone who might have that liberty seems willing?

It just generally sounds like there are too many secrets around the AD, and i don't think that is good for fan relations. Fans seem to get wary of the surprises, because the bad things are communicated as little as the good things. When something is not talked about, most fans are thus assuming something bad might be in the offing or behind the decisions made.

Because assuming that anything would be half assed is just out of the question.

And my mailbox still waits in anticipation of that second flyer. I'm sure we don't want to interfere with people's travel plans to La Tech. You know patient grasshoppers and all.

May I ask why it is so often that noone seems able to inform about these things, because a) the staff is not at liberty to do so and b ) noone who might have that liberty seems willing?

I'm not at liberty to answer these questions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1