Canales will be fired at the end of the year

UNT90

Lot's of folks on this site have turned on the guy that they wanted to be HC here after TD left - Interesting, very interesting!

How exactly is in interesting? Some thought that is who they wanted and they now think otherwise. I didn't realize they were locked into that choice for the rest of their lives.

Lot's of folks on this site have turned on the guy that they wanted to be HC here after TD left - Interesting, very interesting!

It's preferable, apparently, to blaming a guy who gives really neat rah rah speeches and is an upgrade over Todd Dodge (a feat which, amazingly, is perceived as impressive).

• Upvote 1

King, Mac and Canales were together at South Florida. But RV didn't force him on Mac.

That does not make them butt buddies, everything I heard was it was RV that put Canales on Mac.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

Heres where we disagree,

They didnt call a screen, they rushed 3 and dropped 8 and got to DT in 2 seconds and that resulted into a screen pass

it looked like a designed screen to me. Anyiam hit the deck almost as soon as the ball was snapped and was just begging for the defender to jump over him and rush.

i'm not ready to throw out my opinion on the coaches and game planning unitl I see our record in about 6 weeks but that play was definitely a screen... and i don't think i have to much of an issue with us calling that play if they had rushed 4 or 5 players but with only 3 at the line an audible should have been called.

• Upvote 1

He will be RV's sacrificial lamb.

I'm fine with it. Any F'n moron who calls a F'n screen pass at his own 16 yard line with 1:20 left deserves to be fired.

Poor game management at the end. Another missed field goal. Ya, special teams are F'n great, coach. Those extra 3 points would have changed a lot in that last drive.

You just have "coach firing" on the mind! LOL

Someone needs to take away your firearms...for your own safety! Ha!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

There's no way....NO WAY this is all Canales' offense or his play calling. NO DAMN WAY!

You can't convince me of that one bit.

His offense didnt lead USF to a 2nd place ranking with this offensive game plan.

NO FREAKING WAY.

If somehow it is "WAY",... then there's something wrong with the man.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

There's no way....NO WAY this is all Canales' offense or his play calling. NO DAMN WAY!

His offense didnt lead USF to a 2nd place ranking with this offensive game plan.

NO FREAKING WAY.

Rick

• Upvote 1

NO FREAKING WAY.

I agree not even the same play calling after dodge was let go

Rick

NO FREAKING WAY.

Rick

There is really now way to tell unless a player or coach steps forward, but from my observations during the games, it appears this is all Chico calling the plays. I would assume Mac is involved in the critical plays, but even during timeouts Mac is not heavily involved in the player huddle.

I think the offense if fine system wise, but but the play calling has become predictable. First down, 1 RB, 3 TE and 1 WR is a sellout to run. The opponent knows it and stacks the line. We just need to be more unpredictable, and we will be fine. Have some huevos. That is what got Boise St. over the hump, be unpredictable and have confidence.

If anything why aren't there more complaints about Skladany letting his defense give up a TD on the first play of the damn game? That absolutely deflated all the energy that the team and fans had coming into this game. I was proud of the team coming back but for goodness sakes in two weeks we've allowed our opponents to score at will at the VERY start of the damn game. That bothers me.

Why does no one question the play of Zachary Whitfield? All he did was flail his arms on that first TD. No attempt to knock it down or go up with the receiver. If he is as fast as advertised, why has he never ever run anybody down after he blows his coverage?

• Upvote 2

That was the 3rd down play over the middle where Brelamd almost made a circus catch of a ball thrown behind him.

The 2nd down pass to harris is the one that was dropped.

Don't you recognize a back should pass when you see one? All the great QBs are doing it these days. Edited by greenit

This thread is ridiculous. Coach Canales will not, and does not, deserve to be fired after this season. Calling for the OC's job after a road loss to a very well coached opponent who has been exponentially more successful than we have in the last 6-8 years is ill-conceived. It is clear that Chico does have his hands tied in regards to the style of offense we are running.

If you have followed the careers of Chico and Coach Mac you will note that Mac's offenses have been of the grind it out, running style of offense. However, Chico's style in the past has been more of the spread it out style. You should note that this year we have changed to accomodate more of the spread-type that Chico, the players and fans prefer. The same ones that are on here whining about his offense of the last 2 years should know that the offense we are running has been forced on him. Coach Mac is not necessarily to blame for that. He has his own coaching philosophy and a ball control, protecting the ball type of offense is what he prefers. I completely understand that and nobody can argue with the vast improvement that UNT football has made since the Dodge experiment.

This loss, however tough it was, is not grounds for the firing of Canales. There are innumeral factors that go into the success of an offensive play and it only takes one to screw a play up. Canales has done a phenominal job of molding his offense's into the mold that is needed for the overall betterment of the team.

P.S.- To think that with the firing of Dodge and promting of Chico to interim HC, totally relinquished his impact on his offense that he implemented, in the span of one week is also absurd. Yes, Coach Hines did call plays during that time. It was still Chico's offense and he still had a large role in the preperation and alot of times in collaboration of play calls during games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is ridiculous. Coach Canales will not, and does not, deserve to be fired after this season. Calling for the OC's job after a road loss to a very well coached opponent who has been exponentially more successful than we have in the last 6-8 years is ill-conceived. It is clear that Chico does have his hands tied in regards to the style of offense we are running.

If you have followed the careers of Chico and Coach Mac you will note that Mac's offenses have been of the grind it out, running style of offense. However, Chico's style in the past has been more of the spread it out style. You should note that this year we have changed to accomodate more of the spread-type that Chico, the players and fans prefer. The same ones that are on here whining about his offense of the last 2 years should know that the offense we are running has been forced on him. Coach Mac is not necessarily to blame for that. He has his own coaching philosophy and a ball control, protecting the ball type of offense is what he prefers. I completely understand that and nobody can argue with the vast improvement that UNT football has made since the Dodge experiment.

This loss, however tough it was, is not grounds for the firing of Canales. There are innumeral factors that go into the success of an offensive play and it only takes one to screw a play up. Canales has done a phenominal job of molding his offense's into the mold that is needed for the overall betterment of the team.

P.S.- To think that with the firing of Dodge and promting of Chico to interim HC, totally relinquished his impact on his offense that he implemented, in the span of one week is also absurd. Yes, Coach Hines did call plays during that time. It was still Chico's offense and he still had a large role in the preperation and alot of times in collaboration of play calls during games.

This is his 4th year, how many years does it take to get his offense consistent? You better believe he is in a hot seat or you are just deluded.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It wasn't me, I never heard of Mac before he became the top candidtate for the UNT job...really, who follows Iowa State ? (probably same statement made many times about UNT....who follows UNT?)

Lot's of folks on this site have turned on the guy that they wanted to be starting QB and savior after his short-lived performance in that Arky State game many moons ago, so nothing new there.