Canales will be fired at the end of the year

UNT90

I don't have a problem with this play. I actually think it was a great play call, just poorly executed. They had the entire defense sitting back for the big play and a screen would have worked nicely....had the players not screwed it up.

Canales won't be fired and doesn't deserve to be.

Who prepares the offense? Who makes sure they can execute? Who picks his starters?

Canales needs to go, he has had four years to get his shit together

• Downvote 1

He will be RV's sacrificial lamb.

I'm fine with it. Any F'n moron who calls a F'n screen pass at his own 16 yard line with 1:20 left deserves to be fired.

Poor game management at the end. Another missed field goal. Ya, special teams are F'n great, coach. Those extra 3 points would have changed a lot in that last drive.

Any coach that is down by 14 pts and calls for a field goal, with a kicker that doesn't seem to make them, when he is on their what ??...27yrd line and 4th and 1 is what .....Stupid and should be fired. just pathetic coaching on Mac's part...and play calling on offense....will they ever figure out what doesn't work and do something different....probably not. DT's back !!! Oh yea !! Has UNT ever started out a game where we were not down a 7-14 point in the first 2-3 minutes?....maybe a record this time....14 seconds.

Like I said in my previous post...if they score on their first possession and we don't...we lose the game...if Mac starts his stupid conservative calls (stupid calls) early in game like he did last year...we lose...we did both....we lost.

Who prepares the offense? Who makes sure they can execute? Who picks his starters?

Canales needs to go, he has had four years to get his shit together

Who plays the game? The players.

It's time to hold the players accountable. We blame everything on coaching when it's the actually players who don't execute like they are taught. This is as good of a coaching staff as any and I don't blame them for what happened tonight.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 1

I hate to say it but I think it may be time for Chico to go. I just don't get how we can go from a well designed offensive gameplan against Idaho to what we saw tonight. I don't think it's all depending on who we play.

And we have more playmakers now. I just don't know how much of it is our HC stopping Chico from making better play calls....don't know.

Well, I really don't agree that it's all on Canales. That call to defer after we won the coin toss; that's a head coaching call, and looks pretty bad in hindsight, although I wasn't convinced one way or the other at the time. The decision to attempt the fg rather than go for it was a head coaching call, and we were all rightfully groaning about it.

• Upvote 1

It's time to hold the players accountable. We blame everything on coaching when it's the actually players who don't execute like they are taught. This is as good of a coaching staff as any and I don't blame them for what happened tonight.

Wow you can keep canales I read the forums before he got here and it is the same shit a different year and different players.

• Upvote 1

Benford fan, I see.

So, do the players manage the game click and let 40 run off the clock without calling a TO when you are down late in the 4th l?

I guess we can't blame coaches for anything.

Coaches lost the WKU game and coaches lost this game.

Plain and simple.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If anything why aren't there more complaints about Skladany letting his defense give up a TD on the first play of the damn game? That absolutely deflated all the energy that the team and fans had coming into this game. I was proud of the team coming back but for goodness sakes in two weeks we've allowed our opponents to score at will at the VERY start of the damn game. That bothers me.

If anything why aren't there more complaints about Skladany letting his defense give up a TD on the first play of the damn game? That absolutely deflated all the energy that the team and fans had coming into this game. I was proud of the team coming back but for goodness sakes in two weeks we've allowed our opponents to score at will at the VERY start of the damn game. That bothers me.

That was just poor coverage.

Refusing to throw the F'ing ball ion 1st down makes stopping this offense child's play.

• Upvote 1

Who prepares the players? How do we know how they are taught with practices closed? Canales has been with DT as his starter for 3 seasons now and DT still is inconsistent due to some basic fundamental flaws that a good QB coach should and would fix even when Canales calls him one of the smartest QB's he has coached. Sorry, but Canales is just too predictable and calls plays not to lose instead of to win.

Benford fan, I see.

So, do the players manage the game click and let 40 run off the clock without calling a TO when you are down late in the 4th l?

I guess we can't blame coaches for anything.

Coaches lost the WKU game and coaches lost this game.

Plain and simple.

You obviously don't get it. He didn't call a TO because it was 3rd down. He would have had to burn 2 timeouts in a row (3rd down and 4th down) to get keep the clock stopped. He wanted to keep 2 TO's going into the last possession, therefore he only called one on 4th down.

Either way, time isn't what kept us from winning. It was lack of discipline and execution from the players. We've seen them play great before, so it obviously isn't how they were coached. They just didn't get it done tonight.

Plain and simple.

Who prepares the players? How do we know how they are taught with practices closed? Canales has been with DT as his starter for 3 seasons now and DT still is inconsistent due to some basic fundamental flaws that a good QB coach should and would fix even when Canales calls him one of the smartest QB's he has coached. Sorry, but Canales is just too predictable and calls plays not to lose instead of to win.

Really? The closed practice issue? Come on Lifer, you're better than that.

Prior to last week you couldn't convince me that Derek Thompson was the right choice. His performance against Idaho was great. Yes, it was a bad Idaho team, but he did what he needed to do and what we expected a starting QB to do. I felt he performed mediocre tonight, but he wasn't the worst part. Our secondary consistently gets burned for 1-2 plays a game, yet were not calling for Skaldany's job??? How many times have we seen that happen?? I lost count. Yet we still come back to DT and the offense after every loss.

This board can be completely delusional sometimes. I understand being frustrated, but offense wasn't the biggest problem tonight.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Call me crazy, but I'm still thinking the leash is on DT. Look at his performance, it's consistently inconsistent. This has to be influencing the play calling. Put DDub or BB in there and take the freaking cuffs off.

Running early and often sets up for short 3rd downs and playaction. NTs a run first team for obvious reasons. Mac & Canales are content with a bus driver at QB....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

You obviously don't get it. He didn't call a TO because it was 3rd down. He would have had to burn 2 timeouts in a row (3rd down and 4th down) to get keep the clock stopped. He wanted to keep 2 TO's going into the last possession, therefore he only called one on 4th down.

Either way, time isn't what kept us from winning. It was lack of discipline and execution from the players. We've seen them play great before, so it obviously isn't how they were coached. They just didn't get it done tonight.

Plain and simple.

Right.

Never blame the coaches, right?

We saw them play good (not great) against the WORST team in FBS. The players had this game tied in the fourth, despite a terrible offensive game plan and terrible offensive play calling.

Will you ever hold a coaching staff accountable? Ever?

Right.

Never blame the coaches, right?

We saw them play good (not great) against the WORST team in FBS. The players had this game tied in the fourth, despite a terrible offensive game plan and terrible offensive play calling.

Will you ever hold a coaching staff accountable? Ever?

When have I never held the coaches accountable? I just don't think it was Canales' fault. Had we scored 7 points, then that would be a different story. Also, 40-6 against Idaho is great....not sure what game you were watching. Especially since we were able to put in our 2nd and 3rd string in for the last half of the 4th quarter.

Again....the first excuse most posters go to is the offense. Nevermind the 1st play of the game that cost us the win.