Canales will be fired at the end of the year

UNT90

If you guys want to blame Canales, you should be looking at the possession we started with 8 minutes left in the 4th. That's right after Ohio took the lead back. We go 3 straight plays in 4 or 5 wide sets and hand the ball right back. As much as everyone wants to bitch about running it on every first down, that game situation called for a long, time consuming drive. DT had been wildly inconsistent all night long. To me, you pound it down their throats that drive. They were on the ropes, even having just scored.

Also, thought that Ohio defense could have been gouged with a good zone read attack. Wish we would have put in DW or BB in for a series to give it shot.

Bottom line, that Ohio secondary was bad and we didn't do a good enough job exploiting it.

Yeah we averaged less than 3.0 yards a carry. We had trouble putting any kind of drive together, so I'm not sure how we could just abracadabra a Wisconsin-style drive there. We'd have had to punt anyway. Canales isn't a terrible offensive coordinator. I doubt very much he is calling these plays without any Coach Mac input. Whoever it is, I don't like the results.

• Upvote 1

If coordinators have as much autonomy in the game plan as some here think, then why is their a need for a head coach? If you fire Canales, and bring in somebody to run a different scheme, but with the same conservative philosophy, nothing really changes. The one exception being that the new OC will be connected to Iowa in some way.

• Upvote 1

If coordinators have as much autonomy in the game plan as some here think, then why is their a need for a head coach? If you fire Canales, and bring in somebody to run a different scheme, but with the same conservative philosophy, nothing really changes. The one exception being that the new OC will be connected to Iowa in some way.

No doubt. But we are UNT.

If the season goes bad, even 1-11 bad, we won't fire Mac.

Chico will be the sacrificial lamb.

Hence the title of the thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No doubt. But we are UNT.

If the season goes bad, even 1-11 bad, we won't fire Mac.

Chico will be the sacrificial lamb.

Hence the title of the thread.

Look at UT... Manny Diaz was their scapegoat because he was closest to Texas' biggest flaw. Also, Mack Brown is like Jesus in Austin, so he's a hard and expensive fire.

Can we fire Canalas AND bench Thompson? If the prior accomplishes the latter I'm all for it.

I just watched the game, in spite of already knowing the score (masochism at its finest). I'd love to throw the ball more...you know, if we had a guy who you could depend upon to deliver an accurate ball...even one two or three yards down the field. It's not DT...his numbers look far better (and they're not good) than his actual performance because Darnell Smith is doing his best contortionist act to bring in balls behind him and over his head. Delgado did the same thing last season.

This team has the talent to win even with Thompson, however. My biggest beef with Canalas (I'm assuming) isn't play calling so much as it personel usage...3 of our best offensive weapons are Byrd, Pegram and Jimmerson...these are 3 very good backs...they're never on the field at the same time. More two TB sets and using the likes of Chancellor, Harris and Kidsey in the run game and I think we can move the ball with this line (can't believe anyone was questioning them) even with Thompson at QB.

• Upvote 2

Can we fire Canalas AND bench Thompson? If the prior accomplishes the latter I'm all for it.

I just watched the game, in spite of already knowing the score (masochism at its finest). I'd love to throw the ball more...you know, if we had a guy who you could depend upon to deliver an accurate ball...even one two or three yards down the field. It's not DT...his numbers look far better (and they're not good) than his actual performance because Darnell Smith is doing his best contortionist act to bring in balls behind him and over his head. Delgado did the same thing last season.

This team has the talent to win even with Thompson, however. My biggest beef with Canalas (I'm assuming) isn't play calling so much as it personel usage...3 of our best offensive weapons are Byrd, Pegram and Jimmerson...these are 3 very good backs...they're never on the field at the same time. More two TB sets and using the likes of Chancellor, Harris and Kidsey in the run game and I think we can move the ball with this line (can't believe anyone was questioning them) even with Thompson at QB.

I usually look forward to your posts and you didn't disappoint with this one. Absolutely agree.

There's no way....NO WAY this is all Canales' offense or his play calling. NO DAMN WAY!

You can't convince me of that one bit.

His offense didnt lead USF to a 2nd place ranking with this offensive game plan.

NO FREAKING WAY.

If somehow it is "WAY",... then there's something wrong with the man.

Rick

Hat tip to TTG. ...Canales was the Pass Game Coordinator/QB coach in '07 when they were ranked 2nd,... and wasn't the OC again til the '09 season, where the Bulls finished 8-4 and averaged 26 ppg.

http://m.gousfbulls.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=859867&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=7700

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Why does no one question the play of Zachary Whitfield? All he did was flail his arms on that first TD. No attempt to knock it down or go up with the receiver. If he is as fast as advertised, why has he never ever run anybody down after he blows his coverage?

Mac said he will not start t,his weekend. Too many mistakes.

Chancellor just needs to touch the Damn ball at least 8 times a game. Find a way to get him more involved. It's not rocket Science

May not be rocket science, and I agree with you here, but much easier said than done when double teamed on every play! Just sayin....

May not be rocket science, and I agree with you here, but much easier said than done when double teamed on every play! Just sayin....

Doesn't have to be on deep routes. I just wanna see screens , sweeps , him in wild cat,etc.

He's by far our best option , I just feel we are wasting his talent. Seems good things happen when the ball is in his hands

Let's get 3 TD's for him vs the Nuts!!!

We have people going back pulling up old threads like they predicted a better outcome.

Its easy to sit and wait for something good to happen, but if you did not predict it ahead of time, you cant call someone out.

At the time this thread was started, canales had called a very predictable game at Ohio. Some of the same stuff from previous years. He called a great game today. Big props to him. They made several adjustments and did a lot of NEW things.

Had he called the game the same way he did in the past, it would have been a loss.

• Upvote 3

This. With a coin toss win, take the ball first. Get momentum early and quit falling behind early

No, you take the ball to start the 2nd half. It gives you the opportunity to play for the last score of the first half and then get the ball right back at the start of the second half.

Props to the coaches, tonight. They made the adjustments and I feel that the offense was coached and called plays that gave us the chance to win. Good job.

Edited by Rudy

We have people going back pulling up old threads like they predicted a better outcome.

Its easy to sit and wait for something good to happen, but if you did not predict it ahead of time, you cant call someone out.

At the time this thread was started, canales had called a very predictable game at Ohio. Some of the same stuff from previous years. He called a great game today. Big props to him. They made several adjustments and did a lot of NEW things.

Had he called the game the same way he did in the past, it would have been a loss.

Agreed... Third game in a row we give up a TD on the opening drive? We shut each team down on their first possession and we are 3 and 0 and our defense looks solid. Still 2-2 heading into conference play makes a bowl game look promising.