Thoughts after week 1 of the college football season

UNT90

I agree with above, but feel home game against Ball State is better gauge as to where we are. It's very hard to win on the road, and Ohio is best team in the MAC. Ball State is ranked 2nd in their division, and we get them at home.At any rate, MAC looks stronger than CUSA early in season.

• Upvote 3

good thoughts. My one disagreement would be on UTSA. I always hope every team on our schedule wins every other game except the game against us. This makes our victories more impressive.

The only exception to this is rivalries. I always want my rivals to lose every game, no matter what, but UTSA is NOT our rival

• Upvote 4

I have hopes for our OOC season for 1 or 2 more wins, but I mostly want to see all our newbies, ie, FBS transfers, RS frosh and a few true frosh develop during this stage of the season and get ready for the CUSA conference slate. That is my perspective on this particular 2013 OOC football part of the season.

GMG!

PS: And at which point did having new rivals become a problem? Don't we stand to gain from such, especially at the Apogee Stadium turnstiles and gate receipts? Poor ol' TSU-Aquarena Springs can't even get on UTSA's schedule anymore.

PS2: And after last night, didn't Berglund go up one on the QB depth chart; that is, to #3? I assure you all, we cannot have enough QB's at the FBS level. I am as much a fan of Brock Berglund as I've been of DT/7 all this time, too--but that's just me.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

They ABSOLUTELY are NOT our rival, but I hate the fact that they got to where they are by simply being in San Antonio, and wish they lose every game by 60 points because they haven't earned anything.

But that's just me.

I agree with you on that, but I'm sure hoping that Tulsa isn't just a prayer game for us. No doubt they will get it together offensively, but they definitely have a lot of question marks on the other side of the ball.

I agree with above, but feel home game against Ball State is better gauge as to where we are. It's very hard to win on the road, and Ohio is best team in the MAC. Ball State is ranked 2nd in their division, and we get them at home.At any rate, MAC looks stronger than CUSA early in season.

The MAC will probably be a stronger team at the end of the season. They really shot up last year, and could well be the best non-big 5 conference this year.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

We did what was Expected and blew out a bad team in a home opener. Nice to be able to have those expectations.

USM is a Winnable road game. Texas St. Beat them, and USM ain't no Houston.

La. Tech with Scotty Young at the helm got blown out by NC St., an average ACC team at best. Young had good completion percentage numbers, but only threw for 170 some odd yards and no TDs. Not the same offense as last year. Winnable road game.

Tulsa got pounded by a good Bowling Green team. Couldn't stop the run. Hope. And hope is all.

Ohio will tell us how good we are and where we can expect to enD up in the CUSA West. Biggest game for this program in the last 8 years.

UTSA beat a terrible New Mexico team. Big WhOop. Hope they lose every other game on their schedule.

D Williams is the QB of the future. Burglund currently 4th team and not rising.

Please keep Mini-Mac off the football field at all times.

Rice is a really good football team and are the West faves at this point. Halloween is looking very tough.

Tulane and Middle? Who knows. FAU and FIU? Who cares.

That's all I have to say about that...

You may have New Mexico confused with New Mexico State which could not whip cream.

good thoughts. My one disagreement would be on UTSA. I always hope every team on our schedule wins every other game except the game against us. This makes our victories more impressive.

The only exception to this is rivalries. I always want my rivals to lose every game, no matter what, but UTSA is NOT our rival

Got my wish on first SMU game vs. TT now let Montana State pull a real shocker (since SMU was too scared to play Baylor). TCU and A$M will take their measure of the ponies to finish OOC play. Wow sweet it is!

• Upvote 2

They ABSOLUTELY are NOT our rival, but I hate the fact that they got to where they are by simply being in San Antonio, and wish they lose every game by 60 points because they haven't earned anything.

But that's just me.

To become a UNT rival...they will have to earn that; that is the only way that happens. If they do, then San Antonio will be a great place to go for games. I

'm thinking they will become a great rival in a few years and we will draw very large crowds for that game...in Denton. I wouldn't underestimate what they can potentially add the the conference. I suspect you have already put some mental plans in your head to go to the UNT game against them in SA next year...right?

• Upvote 1

To become a UNT rival...they will have to earn that; that is the only way that happens. If they do, then San Antonio will be a great place to go for games. I

'm thinking they will become a great rival in a few years and we will draw very large crowds for that game...in Denton. I wouldn't underestimate what they can potentially add the the conference. I suspect you have already put some mental plans in your head to go to the UNT game against them in SA next year...right?

They won't cause any attendance bump at Apigee because no one knows or cares who they are, and they won't travel.

If they put together the train thing for the UTSA game next year, that may be worth it.

Going for the train, not the city. SA is highly overrated in my book.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I agree with the fact that UTSA has not earned enough to have been admitted to CUSA but IMO the same could be said for Old Dominion, FAU, FIU, and Charlotte. CUSA had not been an entry league before but they took three newbies and two short term members because of market. It doesn't make for a stronger league but it does help sell the TV contract.

That being said I will root for each of them in non-conference games because their wins strengthen CUSA. They are not our rival (yet) but who is? The only teams that we've played more than ten times are UTEP, LaTech, MUTS and Tulsa (who is leaving). We'll develop rivalries and UTSA might well join the group. As long as they have Larry Coker for a coach they'll be pretty competitive.

Yep, both New Mexico and New Mexico State have been bad for awhile but I thought maybe Bob Davie would start to turn the Lobos around but I was sure wrong about that.

• Upvote 2

They won't cause any attendance bump at Apigee because no one knows or cares who they are, and they won't travel.

If they put together the train thing for the UTSA game next year, that may be worth it.

Going for the train, not the city. SA is highly overrated in my book.

And I guess you'd also say the Battle of the Alamo was much ado about nothing, too?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1