McCarney Names Thompson UNT Starting QB

Harry

First off I’m proud of Derek for not pouting and crying about having to fight for his job. Competition never hurt a team or made it worse. In this case I never felt like it divided the team either. Part that was due to the fact that we just don’t know what the other guys can do in a game situation. In the end I felt like it was the best choice to name Thompson the starter. He knows as well as all UNT fans that a big improvement is needed in order for UNT to go to a bowl game. Last year I felt like Thompson wasn’t always put in the best situations and he was lacking some talent around him. That being said I also felt he didn’t quite perform when UNT needed him too. He was too inconsistent at times, missing open wide receivers and also his inaccuracy was a big concern. Let’s hope he has corrected the mistakes and taken his game to another level. I know the most level headed and sane UNT fans are not expecting him to be Superman. All we want is an efficient QB who moves the chains and puts points on the board. If Thompson goes out there and Throws for 2700 yards 17 TD’s, 3 INT’s and rushes for another 3 TD’s and UNT has a winning record, well I think we will all be happy UNT fans. I wish him all the best of luck. Derek you earned the nod now go make Mean Green Nation proud!

• Upvote 7

Congrats Derrick. Kick their ass!

Rick

Can we all agree to start spelling his name right? I mean, he's in his fifth year on the team. And I know some on here will call me out for being nitpicky or whatever, but seriously. His name is spelled Derek and I'm sure that's how he wants to see his fans spell it.

Can we all agree to start spelling his name right? I mean, he's in his fifth year on the team. And I know some on here will call me out for being nitpicky or whatever, but seriously. His name is spelled Derek and I'm sure that's how he wants to see his fans spell it.

What's your beef with phonetic spellings???

Is it Saturday yet? #longestweekever

It's not with anything else, just the names of our own players. I'd be kind of irked if I was in my fifth year on a team and half my own fan base spells my name wrong still. It's honestly more out of respect for DT.

Uh... That's not how you spell his name...

• Upvote 2

First off I’m proud of Derek for not pouting and crying about having to fight for his job. Competition never hurt a team or made it worse. In this case I never felt like it divided the team either. Part that was due to the fact that we just don’t know what the other guys can do in a game situation. In the end I felt like it was the best choice to name Thompson the starter. He knows as well as all UNT fans that a big improvement is needed in order for UNT to go to a bowl game. Last year I felt like Thompson wasn’t always put in the best situations and he was lacking some talent around him. That being said I also felt he didn’t quite perform when UNT needed him too. He was too inconsistent at times, missing open wide receivers and also his inaccuracy was a big concern. Let’s hope he has corrected the mistakes and taken his game to another level. I know the most level headed and sane UNT fans are not expecting him to be Superman. All we want is an efficient QB who moves the chains and puts points on the board. If Thompson goes out there and Throws for 2700 yards 17 TD’s, 3 INT’s and rushes for another 3 TD’s and UNT has a winning record, well I think we will all be happy UNT fans. I wish him all the best of luck. Derek you earned the nod now go make Mean Green Nation proud!

I would type a long response, but I have nothing to add after this and FFR's "kick their ass" comment.

I hope Williams gets to redshirt and expect McNulty to be #2 and Berglund #3. McNulty looked fine in the Spring Game and if Berglund can harness his ability within the system and learn to read defenses better, he will start to see some time. I like our depth and expect DT to step up this year.