North Texas vs. OU 2003 Game

That was the year OU just straight took everyone to the woodshed. They beat Texas 65-13 in the Red River bloodbath. Then they lost to K-State in the conference championship game and LSU in the sugar bowl. Everyone though they were one of the best teams of all time until those last two games. Pretty respectable score holding that offense with the Heisman Trophy winner to 37 points.

I think that the we had one of the closest scoring gaps of any team that played OU that year (Colorado, Missouri, Alabama?) remeber people were bummed on the bus ride back home but it was a fun game. Loved the rain but there was a shorter unt fan with glasses who was yelling at people because they were standing. Hopefully if he goes to games he stands now :)

Edited by Andrew

Here's what I saw...

1)Dickey, yes Dickey, threw the ball on first down

2)Andrew Smith gave me more confidence in his ability as a QB in the little bit that I watched than I have seen in several years.

3)We looked like we belonged on the same field as the #1 team in the country for a bit.

That's it. I've had enough of frog troll. How do I block his drivel?

GMG!

Found it. Troll is now under the bridge forever!

Edited by NTEdgex2
  • Upvote 1

He/She's been on block to me for a long time. How T F do we still allow him/her to post here? He/She keeps pretending to be a TCU fan, but all of them are successful and really good people. This guy or girl doesn't do anything but sit on the Internet and masterbate to maybe being a TCU fan some day.

UNT and Tcu used to recruit the same kids back in those days.

But enough about Tcu...I agree on the comment about Andrew smith. The tragedy obviously trumps football, but it is hard not to wonder what would have happened had he been our QB in 2005. Is one player enough to keep us from falling off the cliff? He was pretty damn good.

I went to this game with VERY high hopes, but left cussing the Dickey offense.

Little would I know how much I would miss his defense a scant 4 years later.

Yep . . . I went to this game thinking (delusionally) that we had a legitimate chance to win. I left that game angry and disappointed. But that 2007 opener . . . wow. Talk about shock and awe.

• Upvote 1

I think this was the best UNT team I;ve ever watched. We played OU closer that year than any of the other Texas teams that they played. That OU team was a machine--I still can't believe they fell apart at the end of their season, but two of the best coaches of alltime, Snyder at KSU and Saban at LSU (then), just flat out-coached Stoops. They realized that Jason White would make bad throws if he got hit hard. Before this came to light, though, many pundits thought that OU was on their way to being one of the greates teams of all-time in NCAA history. Here's something kind of funny about that season for us and OU. We lost to OU 37-3, then beat Baylor 52-14 the next week at Fouts. The Aggies then beat Baylor 77-14 a few weeks later in College Station. Then, later in the year, OUs schedule ended with home games with A&M and Baylor.

They put on the biggest ass-whooping I have ever seen one AQ team put on another AQ team in that 77-0 demolition of A&M. The Aggies never came close to crossing midfield and only gained less than 75 yards total offense the whole game. If Stoops had wanted to be an absolute jackass more than he already he is, that game would have EASILY been 100+ to zero. It was 77-0 in the 3rd quarter. It was so bad that A&M would just turn the ball over against 4th and 5th string guys and bring it down to the 5 yard line, so Stoops oredered his 4th string QB to take a knee at the 5 yard line...on 1st down...with much of the 4th quarter still to go :blink: That obviously looked even worse than just scoring a TD, so Stoops then ordered his QB to ran a handoff to the FB who immediately dropped down to the fetal position as soon as he could. I've seen some non-AQS get beat that bad ( thinking mostly of us here) but I never thought I'd see the day that Texas A&M would get beat like that ever. Knowing that A&M had beaten Baylor 77-14, but then lost to OU 77-0, the obvious question for the next week was what would OU do to Baylor in Norman??? Fortunately for the Bears, OU didn't give anything in the game to even try much and still won very handily.

After seeing OU obliterate Texas 65-13, A&M 77-0, Tech 56-25, and Baylor by a ton (cannot remember the exact score), I remember George Dunham saying on his talk show that North Texas was OUs toughest opponent in Texas. Of course, just 4 years later, OU would beat us 79-10 in Norman, so we went back to being the typical badybag opponent under Dodge. But, for one year, North Texas gained a small amount of attention for being pretty damn good by not getting murdered against OU like everyone else in the state, and then also just pummeling Baylor at home. Even the old SWC media types in this state had to take notice of the Mean Green!! It was a special time for most of us.

Edited by untjim1995

He/She's been on block to me for a long time. How T F do we still allow him/her to post here? He/She keeps pretending to be a TCU fan, but all of them are successful and really good people. This guy or girl doesn't do anything but sit on the Internet and masterbate to maybe being a TCU fan some day.

As a ex student of UNT and TCU I frequent both GOMEANGREEN and KILLERFROGS. This person is not liked by anyone at KILLERFROGS either. His life must suck.

I think this was the best UNT team I;ve ever watched. We played OU closer that year than any of the other Texas teams that they played. That OU team was a machine--I still can't believe they fell apart at the end of their season, but two of the best coaches of alltime, Snyder at KSU and Saban at LSU (then), just flat out-coached Stoops. They realized that Jason White would make bad throws if he got hit hard. Before this came to light, though, many pundits thought that OU was on their way to being one of the greates teams of all-time in NCAA history. Here's something kind of funny about that season for us and OU. We lost to OU 37-3, then beat Baylor 52-14 the next week at Fouts. The Aggies then beat Baylor 77-14 a few weeks later in College Station. Then, later in the year, OUs schedule ended with home games with A&M and Baylor.

They put on the biggest ass-whooping I have ever seen one AQ team put on another AQ team in that 77-0 demolition of A&M. The Aggies never came close to crossing midfield and only gained less than 75 yards total offense the whole game. If Stoops had wanted to be an absolute jackass more than he already he is, that game would have EASILY been 100+ to zero. It was 77-0 in the 3rd quarter. It was so bad that A&M would just turn the ball over against 4th and 5th string guys and bring it down to the 5 yard line, so Stoops oredered his 4th string QB to take a knee at the 5 yard line...on 1st down...with much of the 4th quarter still to go :blink: That obviously looked even worse than just scoring a TD, so Stoops then ordered his QB to ran a handoff to the FB who immediately dropped down to the fetal position as soon as he could. I've seen some non-AQS get beat that bad ( thinking mostly of us here) but I never thought I'd see the day that Texas A&M would get beat like that ever. Knowing that A&M had beaten Baylor 77-14, but then lost to OU 77-0, the obvious question for the next week was what would OU do to Baylor in Norman??? Fortunately for the Bears, OU didn't give anything in the game to even try much and still won very handily.

After seeing OU obliterate Texas 65-13, A&M 77-0, Tech 56-25, and Baylor by a ton (cannot remember the exact score), I remember George Dunham saying on his talk show that North Texas was OUs toughest opponent in Texas. Of course, just 4 years later, OU would beat us 79-10 in Norman, so we went back to being the typical badybag opponent under Dodge. But, for one year, North Texas gained a small amount of attention for being pretty damn good by not getting murdered against OU like everyone else in the state, and then also just pummeling Baylor at home. Even the old SWC media types in this state had to take notice of the Mean Green!! It was a special time for most of us.

We lost by 34.

Tech lost by 31.

How does that make us OU's toughest Texas opponent that year?

I hate that we are all about moral victories at UNT.

• Upvote 1

We lost by 34.

Tech lost by 31.

How does that make us OU's toughest Texas opponent that year?

I hate that we are all about moral victories at UNT.

Two things--Tech got them in Lubbock, we played them in Norman.

That OU team was the best one they've had since Switzer's thugs patrolled the siedlines in the mid-80s. They would have obliterated their teams that won the natinoal championship in 2000 and played in the BCS title game in 2004 and in 2008. They just had their Heisman winning QB, Jason White, who played on two very bad knees, get pounded in his last two games and suffer two losses to KSU and LSU because they knew that they could rattle him with pressure. Before those two games, I remember watching ESPN one day where they were discussing if that Sooners team was one of the greatest of all-time, like whether they were Top 5 or Top 10. They were that great, but then the balloon popped at the very end because of White's poor QB play.

Call it a moral victory, if you want, but that is the best game we played against any of the NFL-lite powers (OU, UT, LSU, Arky, Alabama) that I have seen us play--even better than the ultimate moral victory game that gets celebrated around here (the 27-0 game against UT in 2002, where they didn't score in the 2nd half). That 2003 OU team was light years better than any of UT's teams, sans 2005.