Southern Miss looking for new athletic director (RV?)

Harry

The short-lived tenure of Southern Miss athletic director Jeff Hammond will come to an end in nine days for the most basic of reasons.

It strictly was to have the opportunity to select my own athletics director, Southern Miss President Rodney Bennett said Wednesday morning in explaining his decision not to extend Hammonds one-year contract that expires June 30.

I spent a good amount of my career working with athletics, and Ive always felt like, if I ever became a college president, and had the opportunity to assemble my own athletics administrative team, that I wanted to do that.

Bennett said his intention is to have a new athletics director selected and on the ground here in Hattiesburg no later than Aug. 31 of this year.

That person would become USMs third athletic director in 17 months.

Until then, Bennett appointed senior associate athletic director Jeremy McClain to run the department as interim athletic director, McClain will not be considered for the position on a full-time basis.

I look forward to continuing to help move the department forward and build upon the hard work of the past few years, McClain said.

Read more: http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20130620/NEWS01/306200026/Search-Southern-Miss-looking-new-athletic-director?nclick_check=1

I'm not sure what I think about RV possibly leaving North Texas, but from what I can tell, many people want him out as AD.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for some?

If there's one painful lesson North Texas fans have been taught repeatedly over the past decade... It's that a replacement is no guarantee of an improvement, no matter how dim your view of the incumbent.

Dickey had precious few supporters at the end of his tenure, but it turned out that even matching what he'd done wasn't so easy.

Slinker didn't get many parades, either... But how about that Shanice, instead? 5 years after Tina got ousted, 3 replacements later, we still haven't cracked .500.

Even Johnny had a group eager for his departure. But that hasn't worked out so well for North Texas, either.

Rick V has his critics, and there are definitely grounds for criticism. But whenever he does finally leave, this department is going to be in a much, MUCH better place than it was when he arrived. The knock is usually that "anybody could have done _______". But for over 100 years of NT sports, not many other-bodys have.

I'm not saying AD tenure, or never demand more... But recent history shows that just matching competence doesn't always work out for us. I won't argue we could never do better... But I know we could do MUCH worse.

RV addressed the UNT Foundation at noon today and assured us that he is not going anywhere even though you may see in tomorrow's news that he is being considered for USM. Outside of Hayden Fry who only held the AD position so we could pay him two salaries to afford him, RV has done more than any AD in NT history. Look at the A. D.s of the past and name one any better.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

RV addressed the UNT Foundation at noon today and assured us that he is not going anywhere even though you may see in tomorrow's news that he is being considered for USM. Outside of Hayden Fry who only held the AD position so we could pay him two salaries to afford him, RV has done more than any AD in NT history. Look at the A. D.s of the past and name one any better.

IN fairness, RV has been the only AD in the school's history to serve under President's that actually liked athletics a little bit...

• Upvote 7

plus1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yet again, "progress" by comparison to the bottom.

I'm not arguing that RV should or shouldn't go...but let's not continue to make the monumental mistake of looking at our past athletic failures (and they are myriad) and heaping kudos upon anyone who rises above them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If there's one painful lesson North Texas fans have been taught repeatedly over the past decade... It's that a replacement is no guarantee of an improvement, no matter how dim your view of the incumbent.

Dickey had precious few supporters at the end of his tenure, but it turned out that even matching what he'd done wasn't so easy.

Slinker didn't get many parades, either... But how about that Shanice, instead? 5 years after Tina got ousted, 3 replacements later, we still haven't cracked .500.

Even Johnny had a group eager for his departure. But that hasn't worked out so well for North Texas, either.

Rick V has his critics, and there are definitely grounds for criticism. But whenever he does finally leave, this department is going to be in a much, MUCH better place than it was when he arrived. The knock is usually that "anybody could have done _______". But for over 100 years of NT sports, not many other-bodys have.

I'm not saying AD tenure, or never demand more... But recent history shows that just matching competence doesn't always work out for us. I won't argue we could never do better... But I know we could do MUCH worse.

Sadly, his achievements in athletic facilities have been offset by 3 terrible coaching hires, and a 4th that has yet to produce the expected results.

I absolutely share your concerns that if he leaves, we will hire someone much worse to take his place.

By recent history standards, that is exactly what we do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure what I think about RV possibly leaving North Texas, but from what I can tell, many people want him out as AD.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for some?

The BOR just negotiated an extension and amendment to his contract. Approved 8-0.

http://untsystem.edu/regents/agendas/05-16-13/2013-45%20UNT%20Board%20Order%20Athletic%20Director%20Employment%20Agreement%20Amendment%20%2800065793%29.pdf

If there is any doubt that results are not important in UNT athletics, this should quell that doubt.

Just mind boggling.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When we have some great teams to put in our great venues then the cycle will have been completed and then all will be well on the northern front. Just 1 opinion on the matter since wins versus losses is much like the barometer of "number of sales" that many of our own job performances were judged by our own employers through the years.

....but still, congrats to AD RV for his extension. Smooth sailing for the balance of your UNT AD's contract, Rick V, because your success will also be our success, too.

We still need to know our BOR's are mostly right, though, about most things even besides employer's contracts....right? If you've followed this program for close to 50 years you would know that they have not always been and our school's wanderings at different levels of the NCAA is proof of that. I hope Rick V will have us climbing the NCAA totem pole once again. He certainly has the energy to pull this off and even a novice would observe that he loves North Texas as much as he does his own alma mater--USM.

In all fairness to our AD, he did inherit one helluva' mess when he took over as Admiral of our Mean Green ship. I still think back to that night when Gene Stallings told about 400 of us that "North Texas doesn't need to concern itself with ever building a new football stadium." :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

RV never seemed like much of a job-hopper to me. I think he wants to stay as long as possible and leave as big a mark as he can, possibly even have UNT be his last job. Hmm...does an AD get retirement benefits if they're at UNT long enough? It's a state job, after all...

The short-lived tenure of Southern Miss athletic director Jeff Hammond will come to an end in nine days for the most basic of reasons.

It strictly was to have the opportunity to select my own athletics director, Southern Miss President Rodney Bennett said Wednesday morning in explaining his decision not to extend Hammonds one-year contract that expires June 30.

I spent a good amount of my career working with athletics, and Ive always felt like, if I ever became a college president, and had the opportunity to assemble my own athletics administrative team, that I wanted to do that.

Bennett said his intention is to have a new athletics director selected and on the ground here in Hattiesburg no later than Aug. 31 of this year. Good post Harry. Its important to remember that we didn't really have an AD until the 70's ( I think our sports programs were run by the PE Dept. before that). RV has gotten things done that were never done before under Fry or anyone else. Some of his hires haven't worked out but, unlike many programs, he has not had unlimited funds with which to work. I think our weakness is in marketing and promotion. We simply have not been very creative in those areas. Again though, our funds are limited.

That person would become USMs third athletic director in 17 months.

Until then, Bennett appointed senior associate athletic director Jeremy McClain to run the department as interim athletic director, McClain will not be considered for the position on a full-time basis.

I look forward to continuing to help move the department forward and build upon the hard work of the past few years, McClain said.

Read more: http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20130620/NEWS01/306200026/Search-Southern-Miss-looking-new-athletic-director?nclick_check=1

North Texas has always had an Athletics Director. Dad Pender, the first football coach, was also the Athletics Director. I'm not clear on the times when the head football coach was not the athletics director. The first time that I can confirm that the job was separate was in 1946. AD Theron Fouts (who may have held the two jobs jointly previously) hired Odus Mitchell to be the head coach. He served as AD until his death in 1954. He was succeeded by Emmitt Cambron, who was responsible for getting us in the Missouri Valley Conference. I have forgotten who was AD at the time of Hayden Fry's hiring but Jitter Nolan combined the two salaries to make an attractive package. Hayden held the title (and may have made some of the major decisions) but Andy Everest was the de facto AD. Age has erased the memory of ADs in the interim other than McCain and Helwig.

Considering the resources available and administrative support (or the lack thereof) Corkey Nelson.

Considering the resources available and administrative support (or the lack thereof) Corkey Nelson.

You're right, Silver. I do recall that Corky Nelson held both positions at the same time. And, while Corky put together some pretty competitive teams even with Hurley's frugal budget I don't recall any facilities or hires that he made or improved on.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

You're right, Silver. I do recall that Corky Nelson held both positions at the same time. And, while Corky put together some pretty competitive teams even with Hurley's frugal budget I don't recall any facilities or hires that he made or improved on.

Well, our first artificial turf was installed during his tenure, and a new weight room/dressing room was built next to the athletic offices.

• Upvote 1

I have been "around" UNT AThletics since 1965, and believe that Rick V is, by far, the best AD the university has seen in that time. I do agree with Silver that Corky Nelson (never did like that a grown man was called Corky, but that's another issue...Ha!) did an adequate job given the scant resources he was provided, but maybe a #2 for Corky. The #1 spot, for me, goes to Rick V. I do not think RV's time is complete here at UNT. I think he feels he still has some work to do with facilities, scheduling, program upgrades, etc.

• Upvote 2