New Houston Cougar Stadium

Interviewing a lot of TAMS students are you? Sorry, to see that you still have not dealt with your apparent issues. At this point, you have probably spend more time thinking about NT than the vast majority of NT graduates. You have certainly written more about NT than almost anyone not paid to do so. I wonder what you think you are accomplishing with this senseless vendetta against an institution over some perceived injustice by NT employees probably long gone. There really should be a lot better things to do with your talent and time.

I've declined posting this for a long time out of kindness but here goes. Really, it isn't my place to say anything.

We should lay off being so defensive. GL2G is quite bitter, and it's not even North Texas' fault. His wife left him because of, well let's just call it "performance" issues. Many men suffer from the same thing, so I'm not taking a shot here.

I just hope that in time the personal situation improves to the point where he can stop looking for external targets to vent towards.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Chita rejects Jennifer Reyna's challenge, because Jennifer Reyna is no challenge. But if Chita needs to put on an exhibition for her fans, then she'll gladly let the masses decide who wins this battle...

eb87a22774ea6e325401983b9287ca43f94871b5

VS

WEB-talent13-Jennifer-Reyna-jpg.jpg

erboh.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not a bad Stadium for UH, but it's STILL in a BAD Neighborhood... Anything in 'The Tre' is ghetto, unless you ask Bun B or Matt Thomas. Just wonder if Texas Southern will be allowed to play there?

Don't go to USC or countless other urban universities then. To be honest, you might not want to go watch UNT play at UT.

Not a bad Stadium for UH, but it's STILL in a BAD Neighborhood... Anything in 'The Tre' is ghetto, unless you ask Bun B or Matt Thomas. Just wonder if Texas Southern will be allowed to play there?

TSU has played in the Dynamo's soccer stadium since it opened. They were given a sweet deal by the city of Houston. It makes sense for them to stay there, since the capacity of that stadium is only about 20,000, compared to the 40,000+ of the new UH stadium.

TSU has played in the Dynamo's soccer stadium since it opened. They were given a sweet deal by the city of Houston. It makes sense for them to stay there, since the capacity of that stadium is only about 20,000, compared to the 40,000+ of the new UH stadium.

That's what I figured, since UH doesn't want anything to do with them. Can't say I blame them, since TSU has been poorly run for decades...

Hey UH how about we get a home and home on the books? I want to go check out the new stadium every other year.

Would love that. This week we finished our 2015 schedule announcing a home and home with Vanderbilt.

We have 2 spots open starting in 2016. Let's get it done.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

The stadium is a huge disappointment, and there is no way it should cost as much as it did. So this makes sense. I mean it's a massive step up from Robertson, but when you compare this one to Baylor's, and not in amenities but just build quality, it makes sense.

And even then Baylor's is incredibly ugly.

#anemicpillars

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

And even then Baylor's is incredibly ugly.

#anemicpillars

agreed...every time I drive by....I can't decide if the new Sic'em Stadium is better suited as a venue at Opryland USA or at Jim & Tammy Faye's Heritage USA.

personally...I am very proud of how well our Appogee Stadium turned out...

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Ruh Roh Raggy...

The stadium's band classrooms are at the center of UH's internal inquiry. The school is investigating the possible use of $5 million in academic-only funding from the state on the stadium, where construction costs have increased more than 20 percent from estimates. The money was intended to build classrooms for the band, but Khator in November asked university officials to perform an audit to make sure that is how it was spent.

Khator's request came just days after a former member of her Cabinet called for a state audit of the project, saying that he had heard from at least one state lawmaker about the issues, the emails show.
  • Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 7/4/2014 at 9:23 AM, Harry said:

Thanks for the informative post. As a kid growing up in Houston I was a big Cougar fan and pull for you guys still. I really like your Stadium

And look forward to seeing a game there. Good luck this season.

10/3/2018  

Me too, Harry.   I grew up a Coog' fan until I moved to Denton then I converted quickly. 

Note:  Harry or Cerebus:

If this is too old of a thread & along with its subject matter please feel free to delete it. 

On 7/4/2014 at 1:41 AM, UHFootballFeed said:

Stumbled across this old thread. Wow - it escalated quickly. I'm ashamed our school had a couple of trolls derail the conversation.

I was at the Apogee opener in 2011, and was very impressed with your stadium. I loved the wide concourses, and all the leg room between rows. The build quality was awesome. And I liked how close to the field your first row of seats were.

I wasn't feeling the winged end zone. And the long walk from the Fouts parking lot was a pain. But those were the only two negatives.

Architecturally, Apogee's a very traditional stadium in almost every way. You weren't looking to break any new ground in that sense. But that's OK, because college football is nothing without tradition.

Our President and AD were also very impressed with your stadium. So much so that they asked how you funded it. Our fundraising was stuck at about $60M at the time. From discussions with your leaders, we decided to follow your lead and put a student fee to a vote. It passed in January 2012, and the rest is history. That fee will allow us to float $48M in bonds. Half was used for the football stadium. The other half will be used for the basketball arena renovation.

We're now getting close to finishing our new stadium. To correct some misstatements above, the stadium cost $120M. Unlike UCF (whose whole stadium is aluminum flooring) or Stanford and SMU (whose entire upper decks are aluminum flooring), our entire stadium is concrete everywhere you walk. Our lower bowl is concrete poured on grade, and our upper decks are prefab concrete. I have toured the stadium, and there is nothing temporary or flimsy about it.

We did use steel support beams for the upper decks, but so did A&M with their Kyle Field renovation. So did the 49ers with the new Levis Stadium. While concrete supports like those used at Apogee usually cost more than using steel, the difference in lifespan is negligible. For example, Robertson Stadium (built in 1942) was all concrete supports and it was very nearly condemned due to decay of those supports.

Anyway, when I think erector set, I think UCF. Maybe Stanford. After touring our stadium, I don't get an erector set feel at all.

We were very sensitive to air flow in the stadium, probably because of the negative feedback at BBVA Compass stadium on air flow in their lower bowl. It informed the controversial choice of the exterior skin. That skin is a single layer of powder coated mesh designed to allow air and natural light into the stadium. BBVA Compass Stadium used a double layer.

2wqv8g1.jpg

Another air flow decision is seen by the placement of the restrooms and concessions in the outer walls of the stadium, allowing for open concourses. This is different than BBVA Compass (and Apogee):

34eb0on.jpg

Other than air flow, the major design hallmarks of the stadium were:

1. Changing the orientation of the field slightly more East-West so the home fans can see the Houston skyline, and

2. Building the home club, suites, loge boxes as close to the field as possible.

vhN1oJF.jpg

We released our 3D seat viewfinder this week. I believe North Texas used the same company. It takes a second to load, but just click on any section of the stadium and it will show you the view of the field (and the skyline if on the home side).

Was going thru the GMG.com  archives and found this New Stadium at UH thread.   Makes one feel good about how smooth a transition we had with Apogee Stadium. 

Seems UH has fixed most of their problems. 

Much love from some UH fans about Apogee after their Game Day experience in Denton when we debuted our new stadium back in September of 2011.   

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1