New Houston Cougar Stadium

It is difficult to tell from the drawings, and it is obviously will be quite an improvement over their current stadium, but I just don't prefer the "skin over erector set" style. I love Apogee because of the brick and concrete construction and the feeling of permanence in the costruction. The erector set style, much like old Texas Stadium, always leave me with a feeling of the project never being completed. Again though, this will be a big improvement over Robertson, but it doesn't fix the problem of location.

• Upvote 4

It is difficult to tell from the drawings, and it is obviously will be quite an improvement over their current stadium, but I just don't prefer the "skin over erector set" style. I love Apogee because of the brick and concrete construction and the feeling of permanence in the costruction. The erector set style, much like old Texas Stadium, always leave me with a feeling of the project never being completed. Again though, this will be a big improvement over Robertson, but it doesn't fix the problem of location.

All good points, Apogee Stadium certainly is a very solid stadium in terms of build materials.

I love it. And it fits in with the style of all the other Houston area stadiums. Pretty nice, honestly. Is it really erector set? That's disappointing and surprising. Apogee definitely feels solid and permanent. I have no idea how they did that for the price we paid. We got a steal.

Perhaps less initial seating capacity at Apogee Stadium (31,000) freed up more monies to budget in that more "solid and permanent" look?

And............was the final building cost of Apogee really $78 million as projected?

GMG!

Perhaps less initial seating capacity at Apogee Stadium (31,000) freed up more monies to budget in that more "solid and permanent" look?

And............was the final building cost of Apogee really $78 million as projected?

GMG!

We built just as construction costs were starting to skyrocket. If I'm not mistaken, the original projected cost of the stadium when the student referendum passed was $60 million, maybe $65 mill. But if we were to build the same stadium today, I don't believe we could do it for $100 million.

EDIT: I see that Green P1 already pretty much said what I said. Carry on.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Very nice stadium. I think they are using the Central Florida blueprint for the stadium. The goal is to get a new, 40,000 capacity stadium built. If it takes erector set and skin construction, so be it. Much like UCF did and bam!, UCF gets Texas for a game their first year.

Personally, I like Apogee. Add a deck to the student side should we need it. I don't think Houston will average 40K a game.

Don't see how this is an erector set style stadium? It's concrete on grade and precast concrete for the upper bowl. Exterior was designed to allow for air flow through out the concourse and field. Congrats on apogee being just an over glorified version of a high school stadium in allen, tx. They prob have better attendance as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

Don't see how this is an erector set style stadium? It's concrete on grade and precast concrete for the upper bowl. Exterior was designed to allow for air flow through out the concourse and field. Congrats on apogee being just an over glorified version of a high school stadium in allen, tx. They prob have better attendance as well.

I went to the Houston game when we played against you guys last year and your attendance is nothing to write home to grandma about. Not everyone is criticizing your stadium -- I actually like it a lot. So get some thicker skin and quit casting stones why don't you?

Not bad for a giant aluminum lawn chair...they should have done concrete, that aluminum will not stop bullets very well...and they need that!!!

• Upvote 4

It's just common terminology to refer to a stadium built on a steel structure.

DSC_0288_display_image.jpg?1332559743

Many great stadiums are built this way, and that's fine.

But this, if possible, is the best way to do it.

gallery_3776_2_108385.jpg

Apogee Stadium under construction.

The stadium is concrete. Just trying to make the same point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, it's not. Look at photo #6: http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2012/12/uh-unveils-renderings-for-new-on-campus-football-stadium/#8995-6

It will be an excellent venue, no doubt. But it will be what is commonly called an "erector-set stadium."

oh cool. so being that the endzone structure at apogee is steel make apogee an erector set stadium?

11-10-21-apogee-stadium-700.jpg

the stadium is concrete.

may_21_uh_construct_53.jpg

may_21_uh_construct_17.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, it's not. Look at photo #6: http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2012/12/uh-unveils-renderings-for-new-on-campus-football-stadium/#8995-6

It will be an excellent venue, no doubt. But it will be what is commonly called an "erector-set stadium."

those are renderings you dolt

look at the posted photos of actual construction and look at the webcam for construction

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/manhattanconstruction/universityofhoustonstadium/?cam=1

it is only what is commonly called an erector set stadium by those that are too stupid to look at the actual construction VS renderings

• Downvote 4

who cares...NO ONE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO CONVINCE THE OTHER...SO WHO FLIPPING CARES!!!

it's a new stadium that they need...is it as nice as apogee??? who knows...depends on who you ask...opinions people...that's all this shiat is...freaking opinions!!!

call apogee a pile of shiat for all i care...it's my stadium...i don't care what you think, just as you don't care what i think...get over ya'lls pissing contest...ya'll are like damn middle schoolers...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2

Apogee is commonly known as a "high school stadium", lord knows college football isn't being played there on Saturdays.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9