TM's legacy

jdennis82

Curious to know what the thoughts of the board are concerning TM's long-term Mean Green legacy.

It's possible he has a notable NBA career yet his time here has been utter disappointment (in my view). I contend that he would not be worthy of NT HOF consideration as it currently stands, but have a feeling there would be plenty of revisionist history if he establishes himself in the NBA.

Thoughts?

• Downvote 1

Utter disappointment? No. This year he has fallen far short of the high expectations he set for himself. But he has been the most amazing player I have ever seen play for North Texas. Even this season, he was far and away the Sun Belt leader for blocks (83, 2.68 pg - #2 had 67, 2.23 pg). He was #4 in rebounds. He was #13 in scoring, even as defenses devoted themselves to stopping him first and foremost.

Is that HOF material? Certainly not, at least not yet. I'm not sure 1 1/2 seasons gets anybody into the HOF, even if that person is playing at an elite level.

We'll see if he sticks around. Hopefully he does, at least one more year, and hopefully he and the coaching staff get things figured out so that he can realize his potential at North Texas.

• Upvote 2

He'll go down as the most misused/underutilized talent in North Texas history.

Had he ever once taken the court next to a big man even approaching the level of a Wooden, Williams, Big George, or Tramster we'd be referring to him as the greatest player in our history.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

He'll go down as the most misused/underutilized talent in North Texas history.

Had he ever once taken the court next to a big man even approaching the level of a Wooden, Williams, Big George, or Tramster we'd be referring to him as the greatest player in our history.

Maybe this question should be in another thread but I wonder, were we lucky to have those guys one after the other or should we truly be frustrated that we don't have one right now?

As somebody told me, and it is true, Tony had OMG moments in nearly every game he played at UNT. We will never know how good he could have been last year had Chris and Jordan not had academic issues. Then, there was this season where nothing went right for the most part for Tony M or anybody else on this team, and a lot of those things were out of their control. So, here is my analogy as to whether he is hall of fame worthy or not. If he goes on to the NBA and is successful, then how could we say that Brian Waters was HOF worthy and that Tony Mitchell is not?

The HOF has a very loose set of requirements So sure Mitchell could get entry, in fact he could be in just on the basis of his first two years. Brings Jamario Thomas to mind. A lot of people don't think he is HOF worthy despite him having the greatest year ever for a NT running back. He had more yardage and success in his freshman year than the other three combined. If he had that great year his senior year, everyone would remember him as much better player not the player that never lived up to his first year.

Mitchell likewise if he reversed his two NT seasons, would be a shoo-in for the HOF.

Hopefully, NT will see some more great play out of Mitchell before he leaves NT.

• Upvote 3

I think so. He's not having as good of season as anyone wanted, but when you look at his numbers, they are barely good enough for me to consider him HOF worthy. The only reason why I wouldn't put him in is the length of his tenure. Right now, he goes in, but only after George O.

I think he's in eventually, but probably not the first year he's eligible. His all-time numbers are gonna be around a double double and a school record for blocks. The fact that his teams didn't have a great deal of success, and some expected him to throw up 25 points a game will probably count against him.