Southeastern Louisiana (12/16/12)

CMJ

Pitiful night shooting! Tony needs to work on playing with his back to the basket. No more excuses of him being out of position. Lebron can play every position on the court. he needs to be able to catch the ball 6 feet from the basket dribble and put it up. He has the height to get the position even with the fade away. This team really needs to work on shooting. We also got killed on the glass! I would love to see Colman, Niko, Mitchell, Jordan, and Jones on the floor for an extended time. Throw in Alzee for a big man and push the ball! I find it so hard because every has potential on this team. We need to figure something out before Thursday that is all I can say.

This guy makes me miss Skiver.

• Upvote 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="angel1972" data-cid="695972" data-time="1355695448"><p>

I hear benford makes the team practice before games. Who does that? You are wearing these guys out before they play. No wonder they look soooooo tired. This needs to stop</p></blockquote>

What????? Tell me your kidding?

Rick

For the players not knocking down shots? No. Where is the logic in that? It is his first year.he has a new system. Things take time. It does not matter what kind of players he inherited. They have to learn his system. That is part of life.

You're embarrassing yourself.

• Upvote 3

For the players not knocking down shots? No. Where is the logic in that? It is his first year.he has a new system. Things take time. It does not matter what kind of players he inherited. They have to learn his system. That is part of life.

Wait, you're doing a bit right? You don't really believe what you're typing are you?

You're embarrassing yourself.

Next game come and find me. Perhaps we can talk basketball during the game. We could talk x's and o's. Granted today we did not really run an offense and I can be honest about that. The players also did not play fundamental ball. But what was your opinion on the attempt at the thunder motion offense? Do you think it helped Tony get more touches? Did he take advantage of those touches? Do you think the line up needs to be shaken up a nit more or can he learn to play the 5 in the thunder offense? He had plenty of touches at the top of the arc. Did he capitalize though. What can Benford do to make Tony capitalize when he does have the ball beyond the arc? Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The coach will get the blame. That's fine and he certainly has a role in the team's performance.

But good grief, how many shots from 4 feet and in did they miss? Alzee had to miss 3 or 4 gimmes in the first half himself. They are getting shots, but can't hit anything. They could have easily had 30+ points in the first half, but kept missing point blank shots. Same in the 2nd half.

We have guys wide open from 15-18 feet, that are afraid to shoot. Tony has no idea how to get open in the low post. He stands behind his defender and calls for the lob.

There seemed to be a lot fewer substitutions today. Maybe that was the problem...guys were having to play extended minutes (/sarcasm)

Jordan sat the entire 1st half for violating team rules. Had 8 points in the 2nd half.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

This was the refs fault. They wouldn't call anything. Anything goes under the basket. Benford cannot be blamed for this, we get plenty of good looks and miss the shot. I watched Overlander in warmups. Shot after shot falling from beyond the arc. Unfortunately, warmup shots don't count. We don't have one clutch shooter. So often, in college bb, it comes down to one possession. We don't have a goto guy, like Josh White. Maybe Franklin. Looks like an under .500 team to me, even with John Wooden coaching.

• Upvote 1

Wait, you're doing a bit right? You don't really believe what you're typing are you?

This statement is coming from a person who has been on both ends (playing and coaching). And you know what. He is right. This is common sense. It takes time to learn a different system. So far this has been a discouraging season but we have to believe we will turn it around.

I am still interested to hear more on the team holding a full practice before a game. This would be some interesting news.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Andrew" data-cid="695999" data-time="1355697587"><p>

Rebounding as well. Last I had looked we were down 20 on the boards. I bet Benford did not pull down a single board. If he had we would have won by more though of course.</p></blockquote>

The only board Benford should be pulling down is the one with his name on it on his way out.

• Upvote 3

This was the refs fault. They wouldn't call anything. Anything goes under the basket. Benford cannot be blamed for this, we get plenty of good looks and miss the shot. I watched Overlander in warmups. Shot after shot falling from beyond the arc. Unfortunately, warmup shots don't count. We don't have one clutch shooter. So often, in college bb, it comes down to one possession. We don't have a goto guy, like Josh White. Maybe Franklin. Looks like an under .500 team to me, even with John Wooden coaching.

Totally disagree. Overlander can shoot it, but he like the rest of the team is thinking way too much right now. This game was basically a scrimmage, I would have told Overlander, you are a great shooter, I believe in you, now go out there and keep shooting, if you miss I don't care, take two more shots, then left him in until they started falling. He like the rest of the team needs confidence, and getting pulled every time they mess up is making it worse.

• Upvote 1

Let's just let the season play out. People on here seem to be pretty hypocritical. It was not long ago people praised him for holding Mitchell to a higher standard and loved the move. They were scared to lose him to Tech. Now all they can do is whine and complain because things have not gone according to plan. It is the mans first season. Get off his back already. He is our coach so have his back and some faith.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Let's just let the season play out. People on here seem to be pretty hypocritical. It was not long ago people praised him for holding Mitchell to a higher standard and loved the move. They were scared to lose him to Tech. Now all they can do is whine and complain because things have not gone according to plan. It is the mans first season. Get off his back already. He is our coach so have his back and some faith.

Maybe b/c you had hailed him the greatest coach since John Wooden is the reason you wont put any blame on him and realize that he sucks and really gives the impression that he has no clue.

Maybe b/c you had hailed him the greatest coach since John Wooden is the reason you wont put any blame on him and realize that he sucks and really gives the impression that he has no clue.

? I was in favor of Fran. That is in the past though and we have Benford. Give him time to develop. Maybe he will surprise you or maybe he will be huge let down. At least give it till the end of the season before we judge him so severely.

• Upvote 1

? I was in favor of Fran. That is in the past though and we have Benford. Give him time to develop. Maybe he will surprise you or maybe he will be huge let down. At least give it till the end of the season before we judge him so severely.

I still have hope but at this point is is an 11 game sampling...almost reaching half the season and they have looked awful. He didn't come here to take his lumps. He inherited a very very stacked team. He may turn out to be a good coach I don't know but I'm failing to see any upside to this hire through 11 games. If he can't do anything with the talent he has right now I wonder how he'll do when he has to recruit guys who may not even be anywhere near the level of a Tony Mitchell.

• Upvote 1

This was not a fun game to watch. Glad UNT got the win Asa loss to that SE La team would have been a real disaster. Where is the UNT team I saw plat St. Louis recently? Could it be that this is one of those teams that just plays up or down depending upon the competition?