Overlander.

MeanGreenMusic

gallery_1_141_298064.jpg

With Walton down and out, people have said that we need Clarke to step up and adjust to D1 play very quickly.

Clearly he was given the green light tonight.

0-6 from beyond the arc. Not one make.

How worried by this should we be, and how important to our season is he? (Questions, no info.)

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 1

I really feel like he needs a couple to fall and he will be okay. You could tell how hard he was on himself. Nt03 mentioned to me he doesn't look 100%. I feel like there's a couple more guys right now that don't quite look 100%. Cj isn't one o them.

With the way holmen played tonight, and jones... I think it may take some pressure off of Clarke.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure Clarke or coaches were really thinking he'd see the floor this year. Then we had ineligibilities and injuries. He's all of a sudden supposed to be THE shooter on this team. That's a ton of pressure for an 18 year old on a team that's in the preseason press as sweet 16 and what not. Not giving up on him yet.

• Upvote 2

If you only have one job and you can't do that job you will be replaced. He better finish the year shooting 40% or better from behind the arc or his scholly will be pulled.

this is one of the most ridiculous post ever posted.

i don't believe anyone on the team besides tony shot over 40% from 3 pt last year and you expect a mortal freshman to do it? and then, if he doesn't to pull his ride?

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 6

I was at the game and let me tell you...he's close, a couple were in and out... I think he'll be fine...he is pushing too hard and there's a lot of pressure on him right now but I think once he gets over the jitters and the mental block he could be very very good...he has great form.

He played the 4 at a 3A high school. He's now being asked to play the 2 for a D-I team with high expectations. I think he'll be a fine role player here in time, but his time is not now...and Taylor's ineligibility nor Walton's injury are cause to force him onto a stage for which he's not ready.

He's now shooting 6% from the field. He brings nothing else to the table to justify his poor shooting. Holmen and Mitchell can effectively stretch the floor...and Jordan will continue to at the least be a threat to. You have 3 guards proving they need floor time in CJ, PJ and Alzee. There is no need to continue to wreck the confidence of a kid who probably should've red-shirted this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Brandon Walton was getting ripped last year when he started slow because his only job is to shoot. This kid's job coming in is to shoot and everyone on this board said so. What pressure is there in a game against a d2 team getting beat by 30? Does anyone on this site think he will develop into a c-USA player? I don't think so. So if he can't shoot around 40% from behind the arc go play intramurals or transfer that simple. Ladies if you want to change UNT being called a mid or even now low major you can not have those type of players and say bless their heart for trying.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

i don't believe anyone on the team besides tony shot over 40% from 3 pt last year and you expect a mortal freshman to do it? and then, if he doesn't to pull his ride?

How is what I said bad? So you are telling me your job as a coach is to win games or be fired you will keep a kid on your team when you for sure have a chance to upgrade the spot? I'm not saying he should be cut I'm saying he better start making threes, grow a few more inches, or learn how to lock down a 2 gaurd.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Brandon Walton was getting ripped last year when he started slow because his only job is to shoot. This kid's job coming in is to shoot and everyone on this board said so. What pressure is there in a game against a d2 team getting beat by 30? Does anyone on this site think he will develop into a c-USA player? I don't think so. So if he can't shoot around 40% from behind the arc go play intramurals or transfer that simple. Ladies if you want to change UNT being called a mid or even now low major you can not have those type of players and say bless their heart for trying.

Walton was a juco transfer and so an upperclassman whenhe showed up on campus, not a true freshman. There should be a different level of expectation.

• Upvote 2

Brandon Walton's "slow" start last year had him at 7-19 from 3 for November, Yes Walton was a JC transfer so there was a different level of expectation...play and contribute vs. learn and adjust to the college game.

Overlander just went 0-6 against the easiest team on our schedule. He's shooting 6% for the season.

I'll disagree with untwillrise that he doesn't have it in him to become a a decent C-USA level player, but everything else he's written is spot on.

The best thing now for Overlander and for the team is to move forward with CJ, PJ and Alzee seeing the bulk of minutes at the 1-2...with possibly some spot minutes going to Jordan in a bigger line-up...and Clarke only seeing the floor in trash time. With expectations and potential where they are for this team, it can't afford to have 15-20 minutes a night going to a confidence-less, defensive liability "shooter".

• Upvote 2

With expectations and potential where they are were for this team, it can't afford to have 15-20 minutes a night going to a confidence-less, defensive liability "shooter".

I think we need to take expectations down about three notches for this team, based on performance. If not, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. Personally, I'm expecting slightly better than .500 in conference and hoping for a good run in the conference tournament.

Keep giving Clarke minutes until the end of November. If he hasn't got it together by then, park him at the end of the bench and let him work on his game in practice and garbage time.

I cannot stress enough how much this team needs him to develop this year. Hopefully he finds something in the next couple of games.

How is what I said bad? So you are telling me your job as a coach is to win games or be fired you will keep a kid on your team when you for sure have a chance to upgrade the spot? I'm not saying he should be cut I'm saying he better start making threes, grow a few more inches, or learn how to lock down a 2 gaurd.

because you're asking a true freshman to do something (shoot 40%) that only 35 guys did in division I basketball last year and only two of those 35 were freshman (not sure if they were true freshman).

i will say he's got a much better chance of making some threes, than growing a couple of inches or being able to lock down a 2 guard. i don't see the last of those two ever being a possibility.

Brandon Walton's "slow" start last year had him at 7-19 from 3 for November, Yes Walton was a JC transfer so there was a different level of expectation...play and contribute vs. learn and adjust to the college game.

Overlander just went 0-6 against the easiest team on our schedule. He's shooting 6% for the season.

I'll disagree with untwillrise that he doesn't have it in him to become a a decent C-USA level player, but everything else he's written is spot on.

The best thing now for Overlander and for the team is to move forward with CJ, PJ and Alzee seeing the bulk of minutes at the 1-2...with possibly some spot minutes going to Jordan in a bigger line-up...and Clarke only seeing the floor in trash time. With expectations and potential where they are for this team, it can't afford to have 15-20 minutes a night going to a confidence-less, defensive liability "shooter".

i never said that overlander should be playing or deserves to play right now. the best thing he has is his outside shooting and if that's not there, then he's taking up space on the offensive side and a liability on the defensive side. the games too fast for him right now, but i think next year or even the second half of this year he'll start to come around. i don't expect his numbers to get better than 25% from behind the 3 pt line this year. he should only be getting empty minutes at the end of games or be in due to injury or foul trouble to the three guards you listed. the thing is, is because of benford our lineups are like texas weather, if you don't like it, wait a few seconds and it will change. so i'm afraid that we'll keep seeing this kid struggle until benford changes or the game slows down for overlander.

He can't defend any of the five positions at the D1 level. If he can't hit wide open threes then there's no reason for him to be on the court.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

JJ should have gone in another direction with this scholarship. Having said that, Overlander did impress this poster with his outside shooting in high school. Though he did play the center position at Argyle, he was able to roam outside and consistently hit the 3. He is what I expected, (12th or 13th guy on the roster) with a remote chance of moving up the depth charts next year with TJ Taylor added to the mix. Probably oversigned and should seriously consider a smaller program for meaningful playing time. (though I know UNT is his childhood school)

For the record, Argyle was/is not your normal rural small high school playing exclusive rural schools. 3A ball today (in Texas) is very competitive with a great deal of talent. Argyle actually destroyed the Dallas schools in route to the 3A title last year, in which Clarke was 1st team all-state and tournament MVP. Most urban schools across Texas are moving down to 3A and don't lack for D1 talent. Most of the inner city schools in Houston have move down. I expect Dunbar in Ft. Worth and more Dallas schools within the next few years.

Overlander also gained significant experience playing AAU. His Flower Mound Marcus team won the National AAU Championship a year ago; going up against the top talent in the country. Clarke played the 2 and 3 position. Not a huge fan, but since we signed the kid, let's see what he can do now, before league games. If he does not come around, I'm sure Benford may decide to keep his options open down the road based on need and who comes available. Not popular, but we have to come to grips with the reality that the kids we love are bottom line employees to many in the big business.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 2

0-6 isn't really a large enough sample size to come to any definitive conclusions. If it were, we could have written off several others after the first couple of games. I guess the only thing that could give some people hope, would be for Overlander to be able to find the time to spend a couple of LONG weekends at the beach.

• Upvote 1

Now on a team that has under performed in almost all phases of the game early, a freshman that really should not be playing at this point is the focus. Overlander has no confidence in his three shot at this point, it happens. The facts are that he has been a minuscule part in NT's two loses. I am more concerned with a pre season AA who is not dominating. A team that seems uninterested in guarding against threes, has been consistently out rebounded, and a coach that is yet to find a rotation.

Whether Overlander is a player is still to be determined and if he can develop into an outside thread it will really help the team, but it is hard to believe with a team that has thus far under achieved that is a big issue. Walton's injury has given him an opportunity; but unless he starts contributing his time will diminish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

0-6 isn't really a large enough sample size to come to any definitive conclusions. If it were, we could have written off several others after the first couple of games. I guess the only thing that could give some people hope, would be for Overlander to be able to find the time to spend a couple of LONG weekends at the beach.

Overlander is 1-fer the whole season. I think he's taken 15-20 attempts.