Anyone else sitting out the elections?

Yes. ...for the first time since becoming old enough to vote.

I've been growing more and more cynical about politics, and moreso politicians, over the past 10 years or so...

Ditto. Sat out 2008 and 2000 as well. Voted in 2004 mainly because I was so disgusted by Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. Voted for Bush just because I wanted him to have a large a margin of victory in any state he carried.

Other than that, became disenchanted after the 1992 and 1996 elections. Was amazed to see how many people were fooled by Ross Perot and Bill Clinton. And, amazed that the GOP was so stupid that they threw up Bob Dole as their choice.

The choices now days are so ridiculously packaged and guarded by the Parties that it's like choosing between Milli and Vanilli.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ditto. Sat out 2008 and 2000 as well. Voted in 2004 mainly because I was so disgusted by Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. Voted for Bush just because I wanted him to have a large a margin of victory in any state he carried.

Other than that, became disenchanted after the 1992 and 1996 elections. We amazed to see how many people were fooled by Ross Perot and Bill Clinton. And, amazed that the GOP was so stupid that they threw up Bob Dole as their choice.

The choices now days are so ridiculously packaged and guarded by the Parties that it's like choosing between Milli and Vanilli.

And the only group of people that are able to mobilize and throw wrenches in anything were extreme Right folks in the Tea Party. I think that means there are alot of people like me and you out there.

At least Perot offered something different. I don't think a guy like him (not affiliated with the donkeys or the elephants) will ever pop back up on the ballot again because, as you said, the parties are guarding themselves at an all-time high level.

And the only group of people that are able to mobilize and throw wrenches in anything were extreme Right folks in the Tea Party. I think that means there are alot of people like me and you out there.

At least Perot offered something different. I don't think a guy like him (not affiliated with the donkeys or the elephants) will ever pop back up on the ballot again because, as you said, the parties are guarding themselves at an all-time high level.

The Tea Party is just Libertarianism dresses up in different clothes. You've got ding dongs out there talking about Flat Taxes and Send Immigrants Back to Mexico and crap that will never happen...just riling up old white people like my parents.

I'm going to say this for the good of humanity - I will sprout wings and fly before there is a "Flat Tax." And, what's more I will fly over the rainbow with those wings when we have the police kicking in doors and dragging immigrants away.

Very sad for those who think voting is not important. The act of voting itself is at the core of the American belief system....Sad. And, what's even sadder is some folks are proud they didn't vote. Amazing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh no, don't get it twisted. I'm not a hipster-cool guy. Just a cynic.

Helpful hint that a fraternity guy couldn't tell you and UNT90, but I can... "Cynical" means dog-like. When you call someone that, you're saying they're ugly and smell bad.

And don't call someone a Stoic if you're uncomfortable with the unsavory phrase "porch monkey".

Pretty much every ancient Greek philosophical school of thought got it's name from derogatory slang or propaganda from rival thinkers. They were almost all pejorative terms.

I'm a Greek guy, and I approved this message.

What if my complaint is in regards to the electoral college and I don't vote? Can I still complain?

no, that makes you an idiot.

if it weren't for the electoral college then California and NY would dominate the vote. If the pres only played to Cali/NY then that would disenfranchise the rest of America. Read Article 2 section 1 of the constitution.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Helpful hint that a fraternity guy couldn't tell you and UNT90, but I can... "Cynical" means dog-like. When you call someone that, you're saying they're ugly and smell bad.

And don't call someone a Stoic if you're uncomfortable with the unsavory phrase "porch monkey".

Pretty much every ancient Greek philosophical school of thought got it's name from derogatory slang or propaganda from rival thinkers. They were almost all pejorative terms.

I'm a Greek guy, and I approved this message.

I'm 'Merican.

From AMERICAN Heritage dictionary:

cyn·ic pron.jpg (sibreve.gifnprime.gifibreve.gifk) KEY

NOUN:

• A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.

But, point taken. I shower often, so I hope I dont smell like a dog.

I just don't like any of these clowns, and I'm fairly certain Texas is a double-digit Red State all the way down the ballot, and if I were standing at the booth, I'd probably vote that way as well, so my vote would do nothing but widen the gap.

I am pretty sure people have been bitching about picking the lesser of 2 evils since the Adams/Jefferson double bill. Things will look much different 30-50 years from now. Kind of reminds me of the story the historian David McCullough told about his father and Truman. When Truman was elected in 1948 his dad, a Republican, was depressed. A couple of decades later he was remarking about the lack of good candidates - "Gosh I wish Harry was there to give'em hell."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

no, that makes you an idiot.

if it weren't for the electoral college then California and NY would dominate the vote. If the pres only played to Cali/NY then that would disenfranchise the rest of America. Read Article 2 section 1 of the constitution.

the electoral college was partly started so that the southern states would have more of a say since they had the lesser of the population. they were afraid that the more populous states of the north would win and elect someone who was against slavery, thus ending it in the south. the current electoral college system makes voters in ohio, florida, and other swing states much more important than those voters in texas or california due to the fact that they are generally up for grabs, not like texas/california/new york who have always voted the same way for the last 40 plus years.

if the electoral college system were really that important to present day presidential nominees, then they would campaign like hell in the states with the most population...yet they don't. the nominees focus their time, energy, and, sadly, money in those swing states whose electoral votes are usually up for grabs.

the electoral college is stupid...our nation has grown to where we need to scrap that shiat and go to popular vote. anything less than popular vote means that all votes don't count...and they don't. my wife voting the way she did, did not influence, change, or make a difference in this election since texas was already going to be republican. if it wasn't, then her vote would have truly counted.

edited to remove my inappropriate language...

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People, please. Let's all be honest here.

By posting about politics in this forum, we've proven we're ALL idiots. So let's accept that reality, and move on with less hostility and name calling.

Very happy to see our mod back and urging restraint...thought you had abdicated your throne there Alexander!

• Upvote 1